Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Improvements to on-board service

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2015, 3:21 am
Original Poster

Coming back to the on-board service and recent changes, this is what the C class food offering used to be like up to a few weeks ago (the picture was, again, taken on my usual WAW-FCO). P.S.: the slice of spinach lasagna, even though badly presented, was quite good, with the octopus salad being a nice touch as side dish.

G
Old Nov 19, 2015, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

New advertising?

Just came across this reading the NYT magazine -

G
Old Nov 21, 2015, 7:35 am

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
I am almost afraid... There is actually a lot of improvement going on at the same time!
Old Nov 21, 2015, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by raistlin
I am almost afraid... There is actually a lot of improvement going on at the same time!
Me too!
Old Nov 22, 2015, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Another move which I'm sure many people would welcome is to rebuild customer services from scratch - and here I mean the people who answer the phone and are supposed to assist guests.

G
Old Nov 26, 2015, 3:46 am

Programs: * Gold, BA Gold
I have just flown FCO-NCE-FCO and had 2 very different experiences in term of on board service which proves me that the road consistency and "making AZ the most glamorous airlines in Europe" (as per Etihad CEO) is still long.

Flight to NCE was as previous mid/short haul flights. Pre departure beverages served by 2 pro active and efficient FAs. No more hot towels but Oshibori style tissues. The 3 tows cabin was almost full. Late afternoon meal was exactly what was served to WAW less the cheese plate and pretty bland.

On the flight back to NCE, only 4 pax in J. The FAs kept talking to each others during boarding not really acknowledging the passengers. No pre departure drinks, no magazine offered. Just like the good old times. The early evening meal was rather tasteless.

The "responsabile di cabina" then kept walking the aisle like he was wondering what else he could do. It felt like he was forced to show he's present to serve. It was totally unnatural as he was obviously embarrassed. Again, the "good old time" attitude.

Before the "new service", they just sat and read their paper after handing the trays.

Apart from the good red wine, I must say I was a little underwhelmed by the "new on board offering". It's like they're trying to do something new on the old basis. I hope AZ will change their menu from time to time.

Another odd situation on the ground this time. It seems that when the agent controlling the SP security access goes on a break, the place is left without attendance. Result: fast track is used by all the passengers.

On a positive note, the afternoon food spread at the Dolce Vita lounge was pretty impressive and plentiful and it took less than 10 mn to have the bags delivered in Rome!

Last edited by FCO36; Nov 26, 2015 at 3:52 am
Old Nov 26, 2015, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm currently in the Borromini lounge and the afternoon spread looks about the same as DV. The staff behind the counter are very friendly.

Unfortunately, no crisps here.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Given that the other 2 lounges have now been largely mentioned and pictured, as well, time for a shot showing Giotto (sorry, now simply Lounge) afternoon food offering (2 pasta choices plus some other snacks & a carrot cake on the other side) -

Talking of this particular lounge, I've noticed that most FCO-LHR flights are now departing from T3G: AZ has probably understood that having a lounge in a terminal which is only partially working due to the fire is a massive plus compared to other airlines (e.g. BA) and that there wasn't much logic behind the choice of assigning a H gate to most LHR-bound flights

G
Old Nov 29, 2015, 2:20 pm

Programs: AZ Exec, FB PFL, OneWorld Sapphire, IHG Diamond, Accor Platinum, Avis/Hertz President
WOW Guys!
Thank you very much for all this.
I am really looking forward to my next LON-ITA rotations on AZ metal.

Ciao
Ulxima
Old Nov 29, 2015, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Apparently, the tiny bags of cookies/crisps have not entirely gone or, better, they are not being advertised by crews: I heard some people on today's flight wanting just coffee/tea without the sandwich and one of the flight assistants asked whether they wanted some biscuits to munch on instead.

G
Old Dec 14, 2015, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Former Borromini lounge: new variety of pastas tonight plus tuna stuffed cherry tomatoes and some decent hot options - chickpeas soup & aubergine rice (?) in tomato sauce.

G
Old Dec 21, 2015, 3:28 am

Programs: * Gold, BA Gold
I must say that the "improved" service and catering in economy made me regret the old cookies and crackers. On the short FCO-NCE I had the new sandwich and I must say it looked ok but tasted bad.

Actually it tasted nothing and chewing the bread was like chewing cardboard. The smaller sandwich served in "comfort" to LIN is much better than this yellow cornbread thing.

On the other hand, the return flight in C was good. The food offering was different than a month ago. Main course was a very tasty small traditional Lasagna. No fruit. Cheese plate instead. Extremely salty chewy Pecorino, ok parmesan and flavorless ricotta.

No pre departure "aperitivo" drinks. Service was rather slow (my meal was served when we were starting our descent). Cabin 60% full (8 pax for 14 seats).

Last edited by FCO36; Dec 21, 2015 at 3:50 am
Old Dec 26, 2015, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by raistlin
Long haul service in business class has consistently been excellent since privatization at very least.
Not really, the 772s sent to MIA have been quite filthy with dirty toilets and hairs all over the seats while I have had many rude, incredibly obnoxious crews... some beyond unprofessional being so lazy as to not take the time to collect glassware before landing and then have broken pieces on the floor as the aircraft landed in MIA.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 5:09 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I have seen this short haul as Well. On my last AZ flight into fco the crew 'forgot' the safety check. Result: People without their belt, tray tables down and glass (plastic) ware falling over/down upon touchdown. And the crew didn't even notice (or pretended not to notice).
Old Dec 27, 2015, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Xandrios
I have seen this short haul as Well. On my last AZ flight into fco the crew 'forgot' the safety check. Result: People without their belt, tray tables down and glass (plastic) ware falling over/down upon touchdown. And the crew didn't even notice (or pretended not to notice).
That is a quite serious incident and, whilst I'm absolutely not doubting what you're saying, next time you could perhaps report date & flight number not only because chances are that other FTers were on-board and may be able to confirm whether that was the case in the entire cabin but also because some people from AZ could be reading the forum and do something about it.

G

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.