Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > ITA Airways | Volare > Alitalia | MilleMiglia
Reload this Page >

Freccia Alata Elite Plus = DL Comfort+ or KLM Econ Comfort?

Freccia Alata Elite Plus = DL Comfort+ or KLM Econ Comfort?

Old Feb 20, 2016, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by whatupbovice
Really interesting, and good to know. Is this stated somewhere, or is this just from personal experience?
Airlines send a physical status card to you because it is the ultimate, incontrovertible proof of status.

And if I may turn the question back on you - where does it say that you must collect miles to the account from which you claim status? Please, go and check - but let me tell you that no alliance requires you to collect the miles, to that (or any other) programme, in order to benefit from your status privileges. (Yes, you could insist on flying but without collecting the miles, but you still are entitled your status perks).

Of course, some perks actually require your status number to be in the booking (i.e., if you are entitled to free/extended seating choice prior to OLCI; if your status entitles you to a free upgrade at 48/24 hours prior to departure, etc etc. These type of perks cannot be obtained solely by showing a status card. However, all the main/important ones - free/extra luggage, priority boarding, lounge access etc - only require that you show a valid status fror the alliance on which you are travelling).

I just don't understand why people are apparently so reluctant to carry them; and why people always obsess about having status printed on their boarding pass.

Carry your status card at all times. You cannot be denied your status perks by airline staff if you carry your status card.

Just be watchful and prevent them from overwriting the number in your reservation, if that is what you require.

Last edited by irishguy28; Feb 20, 2016 at 7:36 am
Old Feb 20, 2016, 3:04 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Gold
I've had issues with this on 2 DL flights on which I needed to check a bag over the past 4-5 months.

When flying DL I typically have my Alaska MVP Gold (not entitled to free checked bags on DL) number on the reservation but both times I was told at check-in that they were unable to waive the fee despite my having my physical Alitalia elite card on hand. Only after putting my MilleMiglia number into the PNR were they able to waive the checked bag fee.

Based on this as well as similar things I've heard from others, my assumption has always been that getting the perks require having the actual elite FFN on the PNR. Just trying to clear this up as if this is not an actual policy, I'll be more insistent if I'm told that just having the physical card does not suffice.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whatupbovice
I've had issues with this on 2 DL flights on which I needed to check a bag over the past 4-5 months.

When flying DL I typically have my Alaska MVP Gold (not entitled to free checked bags on DL) number on the reservation but both times I was told at check-in that they were unable to waive the fee despite my having my physical Alitalia elite card on hand. Only after putting my MilleMiglia number into the PNR were they able to waive the checked bag fee.

Based on this as well as similar things I've heard from others, my assumption has always been that getting the perks require having the actual elite FFN on the PNR. Just trying to clear this up as if this is not an actual policy, I'll be more insistent if I'm told that just having the physical card does not suffice.
The free luggage benefit generally requires that you have your qualifying FF account number on the res. For example, Delta AMEX holders must have their Skymiles number on the res for the free bag benefit. Simply flashing the AMEX card is not sufficient to get the luggage fee waived.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 8:58 am

Programs: AY-G, TK*S, AB-S, EY, LH, DL, UA, BA, AA, all hotel programmes
Delta offered free upgrade to Eco comfort when I had my elite+ card in the reservation. However, I missed the window of opportunity, must have been between 48 and 72 hours before the flight when I did not check. The transatlantic is closed for seat reservation (<48hrs) and the delta domestic is fully booked in y+. I deleted the Millemiglia card from the reservation, so that there won't be any problems getting the KL-V-fare miles credited to skymiles (zero earning on millemiglia).
Old Mar 2, 2016, 2:57 pm

So, can you select preferred seats for free in KLM, provided you are Skyteam Elite Plus?
Old Mar 2, 2016, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by jerry_greece
So, can you select preferred seats for free in KLM, provided you are Skyteam Elite Plus?
See post #8 in this thread
Old Mar 3, 2016, 3:11 am

Ahh my bad. I confused SkyMiles with SkyTeam and was reading it completely differently.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 6:23 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Gold
Anyone have updates on the Comfort+ seating situation on DL, now that C+ is its own fare class? I imagine that even if it was previously a glitch, ST E+ won't get complimentary C+ anymore...

I have an upcoming flight and am trying to decide if I should even bother trying to use my skyteam status to get a C+ seat or if I should just put in my AS MVPG number and at least try for an upgrade
Old Aug 5, 2016, 9:45 am

Is it still the case that Alitalia Freccia Alata member (SkyTeam Elite Plus) should get the free seat benefit on partner airlines? (shorthaul flight in Y, KLM flight, booked on klm.com). In my experience it is not possible to get any seat for free at KLM ...
Old Aug 5, 2016, 2:55 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
flyaway_gy, I moved your post to this thread which another member suggested as it may answer your question. Ocn Vw 1K, Senior Moderator.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.