Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > ITA Airways | Volare > Alitalia | MilleMiglia
Reload this Page >

Luggage allowance discrepancy, website info vs. phone agent

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2015, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA

NOTE: I have no clue where to post this: Chase thread? CC in general? TravelBuzz? Mods, please move accordingly. Also feel free to edit the thread title a clearer one. Thanks!

Flying AZ and I cannot figure out their website. If I wasn't a savvy traveler, I would have no clue what my baggage allowance was.

Only because I'm persistent have I presumed that my wife and I each get 1X23 kg bags on the outbound and return. That's what an agent later told me, though this was "not confirming" in his words.

The email I have from them and my online booking clearly state 2X32. I have screenshots and everything because I presume that would change.

I want to stress before the question: I'M NOT LOOKING TO STEAL!

If my allowance is 2X32, (meaning 4X32 each way), I'm happy to take advantage of that, and show up at the airport with extra bags. But I have a nagging feeling they will charge me. If they do, do I have recourse to contest the charge with my credit card company, providing the screenshots, on:
1. Legal grounds
2. Ethical/moral grounds (knowing that this 2X32 is likely not the case)

If I show up on the outbound with extra bags and they charge me, there's not much I can do as on the return I will also bring the extra bags. Does that hurt my case, and if I were to contest, would I wait until after?

Or should I not bother with the 2 bags?

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Jan 25, 2015 at 6:43 pm Reason: Remove "shouting", clarify title
Old Jan 25, 2015, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90
I presumed that my wife and I each get 1X23 kg bags on the outbound and return. That's what an agent later told me...The email I have from them and my online booking clearly state 2X32. ...I have a nagging feeling they will charge me.
Why not email them, explain the contradictory information, and ask them which information is correct? This would simplify and clarify things for you.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 5:33 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
What route are you flying? When was the ticket issued? What class are you in?

What does your online booking actually say?
Old Jan 25, 2015, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
NOTE: I have no clue where to post this: Chase thread? CC in general? TravelBuzz? Mods, please move accordingly. Also feel free to edit the thread title a clearer one. Thanks!

Flying AZ and I cannot figure out their website. If I wasn't a savvy traveler, I would have no clue what my baggage allowance was.

[snip]
Rather than focusing on whether you can dispute charges that have not yet and may never actually occur, let's try your post here in the dedicated Alitalia forum, where you might get a definitive answer on the baggage allowance question before you depart.

Good luck, and safe travels!

Moderator, Information Desk
Old Jan 25, 2015, 6:48 pm

Programs: NZ*S
alitalia baggage allowance

2x 32kg seems to be limited to business class tickets, or USA to/from Brazil in any class.. Do either of those apply?

Regardless, if they have (incorrectly) sent you electronic notification saying you are entitled to 2 x 32kg bags, and not corrected it at least several days before the flight.. then hold them to it, if they messed up they can wear the cost of their own incompetence.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The reason for the confusion is because, now that I have looked more, the email claims 2X23 on outbound and 1X23 on return, but online booking still shows 2X32 both ways.

Route is TLV-FCO-JFK-FCO-TLV; Y+ for FCO-JFK and Y for other 3 legs. (Also weird is that after a change in schedule, my EWR-FCO is now showing me as seated in row 15 of a 777 (Y+) though on the seatmap, if I want to change seats, I can only choose from 18 and on (Y).

Ticket was issued in November, IIRC. Was done directly through AZ.com and all legs are operated by AZ.

Last edited by joshwex90; Jan 26, 2015 at 2:03 am Reason: meant JFK, not EWR
Old Jan 26, 2015, 1:49 am

Route is TLV-FCO-EWR-FCO-EWR; Y+ for FCO-EWR and Y for other 3 legs.

Ticket was issued in November, IIRC. Was done directly through AZ.com and all legs are operated by AZ.
AZ doesn't fly to EWR - you may want to check which carrier is operating that particular segment first, unless you're actually flying to JFK.

G
Old Jan 26, 2015, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
AZ doesn't fly to EWR - you may want to check which carrier is operating that particular segment first, unless you're actually flying to JFK.

G
Edited - I fly to EWR almost every single month and rarely fly JFK, so I typed too quickly.

The route is TLV-FCO-JFK-FCO-TLV
Old Jan 26, 2015, 3:36 am

1x23 is the answer. Out-of-curiosity, though, you could perhaps show us a snap-shot of the confirmation e-mail (needless to say, please remember to delete any names, booking codes etc.).

G
Old Jan 26, 2015, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
1x23 is the answer. Out-of-curiosity, though, you could perhaps show us a snap-shot of the confirmation e-mail (needless to say, please remember to delete any names, booking codes etc.).

G
Email

Online Booking
Old Jan 26, 2015, 5:40 am

Thanks, joshwex90.

So your outbound is marked Y+, meaning that you are allowed 2x23. With regards to the on-line booking and based on my experience with AZ, you can be sure that, even with a screen-shot in hand, they will strictly refer to the general policy and tell you that you are only allowed 1x23 hence, as wrong as it sounds, go for the latter and get your journey off to a good start. AZ customer services [& IT] are simply pathetic (EY will have plenty to do in that respect), however I am pretty sure you will enjoy the experience on-board.

Best,

G
Old Jan 26, 2015, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I have noticed their IT to be severely lacking.

There's a good chance I will need a second bag on the way back, especially if I'm bringing it on the way there.

Does anyone have experience with disputing a charge such as this with the online booking screenshot in hand?

Last edited by joshwex90; Jan 26, 2015 at 9:41 am Reason: removed the last clause that wasn't accurate
Old Jan 26, 2015, 7:47 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I have noticed their IT to be severely lacking.

There's a good chance I will need a second bag on the way back, especially if I'm bringing it on the way there.

Does anyone have experience with disputing a charge such as this with the online booking screenshot in hand (which updated AFTER the email - as it said the same as the email for the first day or two, before "updating" to the current)?
I wouldn't count on disputing the charge based on that screenshot, as it doesn't show all of the relevant info. And it's not the online booking screenshot if it wasn't what showed when you booked. If the email receipt said the same thing as the website at the time of purchase, it would be bad faith for you to claim that you were entitled to more than what was shown at the time of purchase. The email is your receipt. The receipt shows what you paid for: 1x23 on return. The fact that Alitalia made a mistake later doesn't have anything to do with what you actually paid for.

You know what you paid for, Alitalia told you what you were paying for. To do a chargeback for something else is an abuse of chargebacks.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam1222
I wouldn't count on disputing the charge based on that screenshot, as it doesn't show all of the relevant info. And it's not the online booking screenshot if it wasn't what showed when you booked. If the email receipt said the same thing as the website at the time of purchase, it would be bad faith for you to claim that you were entitled to more than what was shown at the time of purchase. The email is your receipt. The receipt shows what you paid for: 1x23 on return. The fact that Alitalia made a mistake later doesn't have anything to do with what you actually paid for.

You know what you paid for, Alitalia told you what you were paying for. To do a chargeback for something else is an abuse of chargebacks.
Except I've frequently had luggage allowances change AFTER the booking, always for the better (as laws/regulations prevent downgrading allowance after ticket purchase in cases where the airline changes their allowance).

I've bought tickets that initially gave me 2X23 and ended up being allowed 2X32, so it's not such a crazy concept.

And that's why I checked with the agent, to make sure I know what I'm getting in advance. When he says, "I'm not confirming, because I see changes in your booking," that indicates that what the email says isn't necessarily 100% accurate

ETA: I don't know why I wrote that the online booking changed after the email. I have no idea when it changed, and it may have been instantaneous with the booking that it reflected as such.

Also, what relevant info? I can make a larger screenshot that includes name, PNR, e-ticket number, etc.

The AZ website doesn't give any type of chart regarding luggage allowance. All I see is that I *may* get 1 or 2 bags, and 23 or 32 kg, depending on class and ticket issue date. Airlines such as UA offer the highest possible allowance for each leg, separately. BA, OTOH, takes your highest possible allowance for any segment and offers it throughout the entire journey. The site says nothing about what AZ's policy is.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

And after more searching, I did find a PDF on the site with the baggage allowance for tickets issued after January 26, 2015 (today), and another one for tickets issued up until May 6, 2014. Missing are tickets issued between those 2 dates, during which mine was issued.

Regardless, the PDF says that for flights between North America (excluding Canada) to arrival cities served by Alitalia (including Israel), Economy is allowed 2X23. So seemingly another potential reason that I should get 2 on the return

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.