Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > ITA Airways | Volare > Alitalia | MilleMiglia
Reload this Page >

Millemiglia miles for upgrade on KLM or Air France flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2014, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Millemiglia, Miles & More, Multiplus

Hello,

does anyone know if itīs possible to use Millemiglia miles to have a class upgrade on KLM or Air France flights?
I called Millemiglia number, they told me that itīs not possible (upgrade allowed only on Alitalia flight), but this is not what itīs stated on Skyteam website...

Let me know!

Thanks for your help!

Regards
Old Jul 2, 2014, 1:13 am

Programs: FB Plat, *A Silver, Volare Exec (LOL), some hotels (Gold)
I'm not sure what the Skyteam website says, but I can confirm that when I flew LAX-JFK-FCO in may I could only upgrade JFK-FCO as it was operated by AZ, and could not / was not allowed to upgrade LAX-JFK operated by DL.

I tried with both the AZ call center (CFP number, so they should know better) and the DL folks at the airport.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by Sil141981
...but this is not what itīs stated on Skyteam website...
Well, you should read more carefully what's written in their website: Alitalia is not mentioned as participating in the "SkyTeam Mileage Upgrade Program". I'll grant you, though, that the site hasn't been updated in quite some time (or who edited is very weak in math), since they state that you can upgrade with most airlines but they only list 9 out of 20!
Old Jul 7, 2014, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by KLouis
Alitalia is not mentioned as participating in the "SkyTeam Mileage Upgrade Program".
...which means only that it is not possible to request an upgrade on an Alitalia-operated flight via the Skyteam Upgrade Program.

As the OP's flight is on Air France or KLM, both of which participate in the Skyteam Upgrade Program, then there is no reason apparent on the cited page why an upgrade using MilleMiglia miles should not be possible.

(Of course, it may not be possible, as reported above, but one would have to check the MilleMiglia program for details. Air France and KLM flights can be upgraded by users of other Skyteam Frequent Flyer Programmes, subject to having a booking in the relevant (and very expensive) economy class fare buckets on AF or KL, and that is all that can be said from that Skyteam page.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28
...Of course, it may not be possible, as reported above, but one would have to check the MilleMiglia program for details...
I read through the Millemiglia pages and they only mention the possibility of an upgrade on AZ flights using the miles. Obviously, one can "buy" award flights on other ST member airlines and a few more partners (e.g. Etihad and a few more).

At any rate, I could not find anywhere what the OP claimed to have seen in the ST site!

Last edited by KLouis; Jul 7, 2014 at 12:40 pm
Old Jul 9, 2014, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
No, I'm not stating that the Skyteam website categorically states that Alitalia miles can be used to upgrade on Air France flights.

What the provided page does say is this: Using miles in some Skyteam-member Frequent Flyer Programmes [other than the native FFP of the airline in question], it may be possible to upgrade your flight on the following airlines:
Aeroflot, Aeromexico, Air France, China Airlines, China Southern, Czech Airlines, Delta, KLM, and Korean Air.

You interpreted the lack of Alitalia on the list as meaning that Alitalia Millemiglia miles cannot be used to upgrade on other Skyteam partners, such as Air France. But that was an incorrect interpretation of the list! The lack of Alitalia on the list means, rather, that when travelling on an Alitalia flight, the only miles that can be used for an upgrade are those from Millemiglia. Alitalia does not allow members of other Skyteam FFPs to upgrade Alitalia flights using the miles in their non-Millemiglia FFP accounts.

You would have to check your own FFP carefully to see if it's possible (and, based on what you've written, and what was said already in the thread, it does not appear to be possible in Millemiglia), but in theory, Air France are happy for people to upgrade on an AF flight booked in full-fare Y economy class when using a Skyteam FFP other than Flying Blue. The Skyteam website says this is possible, but of course it is up to each individual FFP to decide whether they participate in the upgrading scheme or not.

We can clearly see that Alitalia does not participate in terms of allowing others to upgrade on them; their absence from that page makes this much clear. However, it also seems that inverse scenario is true - they don't allow their miles to be used for upgrades on the Skyteam partners that allow this (the airlines, and booking classes, listed on that Skyteam page)

Last edited by irishguy28; Jul 9, 2014 at 10:28 am
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:13 am

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
Just to clarify this, no, it is not possible to upgrade a non-AZ flight with MilleMiglia miles or with coupons. And it is not possible to do vice-versa with other partner miles. Simple as that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.