Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > ITA Airways | Volare > Alitalia | MilleMiglia
Reload this Page >

Lufthansa calls on EU to block Etihad-Alitalia tie-up

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2014, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This is quite interesting:

(Reuters) - Germany's largest airline Lufthansa (LHAG.DE) has criticized plans by Etihad Airways to invest in ailing Italian carrier Alitalia CAITLA.UL and called on the European Commission to block the deal, saying it would amount to unfair competition.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A120SO20140203
Old Feb 3, 2014, 7:17 am

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
This is quite interesting:

(Reuters) - Germany's largest airline Lufthansa (LHAG.DE) has criticized plans by Etihad Airways to invest in ailing Italian carrier Alitalia CAITLA.UL and called on the European Commission to block the deal, saying it would amount to unfair competition.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A120SO20140203
I guess they would prefer AZ to go bankrupt so there will be no competition (which is better than unfair competition)....
Old Feb 3, 2014, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LonLH
I guess they would prefer AZ to go bankrupt so there will be no competition (which is better than unfair competition)....
I guess?

Given the very negative perception of many people at the moment about the economy in general in Italy and the fear of job losses it is interesting Lufthansa chose to be so public about this- fueling fire for the anti-euro crowd which is having a very strong political success at the moment in Italy:

"We reject recurrent subsidies and the partial renationalization of European airlines, whether by European states or by states or state-owned companies from outside the European Union," the German airline said on Monday.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 7:24 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Since there is no way that AZ is going to be profitable anytime soon... I would say let them throw their money at it....
Old Feb 3, 2014, 7:31 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
I'm not sure I understand EY's strategy of strictly buying stakes in non-premium airlines: Air Berlin, Air Serbia, Darwin and now Alitalia. They need slots and feeder traffic, I get it, but at the risk of damaging their image?

Last edited by JohnRain; Feb 3, 2014 at 7:41 am
Old Feb 3, 2014, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RTW1
Since there is no way that AZ is going to be profitable anytime soon... I would say let them throw their money at it....
I tend to agree with you.

If anyone reads Italian you can see some politicians/ministers getting quite worked up about the Lufthansa comments here:

http://www.ilsole24ore.com/art/notiz...l?uuid=AB2AM6t
Old Feb 3, 2014, 7:40 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
That seems to the basic strategy of the EY equity alliance. I guess if EY would repay the tax money Berlusconi wasted on AZ, the EU taxpayers would have no objection to a deal...
Old Feb 3, 2014, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
That seems to the basic strategy of the EY equity alliance. I guess if EY would repay the tax money Berlusconi wasted on AZ, the EU taxpayers would have no objection to a deal...
They are only talking about investing 300 million EUR anyway which will take AZ less than one year to burn through at their current rate. I just cannot understand why Lufthansa would wander into this- political hot potato.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 7:48 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
They are only talking about investing 300 million EUR anyway which will take AZ less than one year to burn through at their current rate. I just cannot understand why Lufthansa would wander into this- political hot potato.
300 Million: that's just the first tranche (they can pay more due to EU ownership/equity restrictions), I'm sure they plan to inject some cash via Mille Miglia, lend them aircraft etc etc, like they did for Air Berlin

I suppose the reason LH is so sore is the LH Italia / Air One history which basically went belly up because the Italian government supported AZ and didn't allow competition.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
300 Million: that's just the first tranche (they can pay more due to EU ownership/equity restrictions), I'm sure they plan to inject some cash via Mille Miglia, lend them aircraft etc etc, like they did for Air Berlin

I suppose the reason LH is so sore is the LH Italia / Air One history which basically went belly up because the Italian government supported AZ and didn't allow competition.
Possibly. Rumours are Air Dolomiti however has had its fair share of help along the way- no way to know if this is correct or not.

LH Italia was most hurt by the commencement of the high speed train Milano-Roma which essentially eliminates the need for what was one of the most profitable flight corridors in Europe. Also Easyjet is a fierce competitor in Italy and surprisingly adept at grabbing the business customer.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:32 am

What's strange is this comes from LH who has bought up or merged with lots of airlines! Maybe next they'll complain about a partnership between Cape Air and JetBlue.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:43 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Nothing strange about that.... it not the participation itself they are objecting to (no objection when KL participated, and lost money). But it's EY as the participant, an entity they view as not competing on a level playing field (what airline is).
Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Nothing strange about that.... it not the participation itself they are objecting to (no objection when KL participated, and lost money). But it's EY as the participant, an entity they view as not competing on a level playing field (what airline is).
There is nothing like an airline dispute (except of course a farm subsidy dispute) to get the journalists and politicians all excitable- from one of the Italian national newspapers this afternoon- judging by the comments it seems that people feel also Lufthansa gets a lot of subsidies:
LUFTHANSA ALL’ATTACCO
http://www.corriere.it/economia/14_f...964bc663.shtml
Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Sorry LH I really like you as an airline, but it shows that LH is sh*tting in its pants, EK,QR and EY taking over.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Sorry LH I really like you as an airline, but it shows that LH is sh*tting in its pants.
This quote is also quite interesting:
“We are doing our job by means of painful cost-cutting measures, but we need fair competition,” the airline stated.

http://gulfnews.com/business/aviatio...ines-1.1286040

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.