Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX-FCO

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2013, 11:36 am
Original Poster

LAX-FCO

New to this forum and I'm excited to gain some great insight on flights. I'm thinking of flying on Aliitalia from LAX to FCO in Sepetember with final destination Athens. We're thinking of upgrading to classica plus but unsure if it's worth the additional money. I've seen both good and bad reviews and still unsure what to do. Can someone who has been on this flight provide information on the classica plus seats and service.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 2:54 pm

Programs: DL PM | Marriott Gold | Alaska Gold
Originally Posted by luvyourbag
New to this forum and I'm excited to gain some great insight on flights. I'm thinking of flying on Aliitalia from LAX to FCO in Sepetember with final destination Athens. We're thinking of upgrading to classica plus but unsure if it's worth the additional money. I've seen both good and bad reviews and still unsure what to do. Can someone who has been on this flight provide information on the classica plus seats and service.
I did the LAX-FCO flight myself last June when the new Classic Plus was first rolled out. Flying the same route again soon in Magnifica.

IMO, it is definitely worth the extra $$$ to be in Classica Plus. AZ's 772s are beautiful, but 10 seats across in coach which equals a flying sardine can. Classica Plus is in its own cabin only a few rows deep so it is generally nice and quiet - although you have to hike back to coach for the bathroom, but no big deal.

And now AZ has upgraded the menu for Classica Plus. For me, I'd happily pay extra for Classica Plus. You also get Sky Priority with this class, so it has some added benefit.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:31 pm

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
LAX-FCO

I agree with JGfromOC but as with most airlines the difference Y / Y+ is far smaller than Y+ / J which is huge. J on 777 is really worth it...
I'll add though that the difference between Y / Y+ is greater on 777 than 330 where the config is 2-4-2
Old Mar 16, 2013, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I'm never too sure how to help someone figuring out if an upgrade is 'worth the additional money' when we don't know what additional money on your specific trip! Is W better than Y? Definitely! There are lots of threads about it, it is better hard product, better soft product, a smaller and calmer cabin, etc. Is W less good than J? Definitely! It is significantly less good hard product, less good soft product, less privacy and less top notch service. If it is a case of paying an extra €200 return to go from Y to W I would definitely pay it, if it is an extra €1000 I would not.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I'm never too sure how to help someone figuring out if an upgrade is 'worth the additional money' when we don't know what additional money on your specific trip! Is W better than Y? Definitely! There are lots of threads about it, it is better hard product, better soft product, a smaller and calmer cabin, etc. Is W less good than J? Definitely! It is significantly less good hard product, less good soft product, less privacy and less top notch service. If it is a case of paying an extra €200 return to go from Y to W I would definitely pay it, if it is an extra €1000 I would not.
Well AZ's Y+ has never been more than $1000 more than Y - in my experience. And I've looked at a lot of dates. But to your point, you're right, "is it worth it" is itself a totally subjective statement. From what I've read and seen of other airline's Y+ products, I think AZ's 772 Y+ is among the best in the air. The quality in the 772 Y+ product is leaps and bounds above the Y product - and the service is really, really good. This Y+ product is much better than almost any domestic J or F product here in the U.S. That is how highly I think of the hard product they've put in the 772's.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 3:50 pm

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by JGfromOC
Well AZ's Y+ has never been more than $1000 more than Y - in my experience. And I've looked at a lot of dates.
It actually happens. When there is no seat in A bucket but only in P, prices can skyrocket (well over €2000 / $2500 on an FCO-LAX return). As buckets availability in Y and W are totally separate, you can have that on a flight where very cheap Y is available. Indeed, I have even had flights when W was more expensive than J!

You are right that AZ W is one of the nicest in Europe. Not as nice as, say TK but a bit better than AF and much better than BA for example.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
It actually happens. When there is no seat in A bucket but only in P, prices can skyrocket (well over €2000 / $2500 on an FCO-LAX return). As buckets availability in Y and W are totally separate, you can have that on a flight where very cheap Y is available. Indeed, I have even had flights when W was more expensive than J!

You are right that AZ W is one of the nicest in Europe. Not as nice as, say TK but a bit better than AF and much better than BA for example.
Yeah, but even then, Y+ is only $2500 in total. At that point Y is generally about $1500. So to my point, $1000 more than a Y ticket. I've never seen Y+ priced above $3000 RT on this route - and that is on multiple bookings.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 3:55 pm

OP, if you want a better look at AZ's Y+ on this route - here's my trip report from last year: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...12-az-y-y.html
Old Mar 16, 2013, 7:10 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, BA GGL/CCR,/GFL, A3 Gold, JBU Mosaic, ITA Executive, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by luvyourbag
Thanks
when is AZ restarting this route? June?
maybe ill drop Ba for a while then
thank you
Old Mar 16, 2013, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by IkarosBOS
Thanks
when is AZ restarting this route? June?
maybe ill drop Ba for a while then
thank you
April, I believe.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 8:05 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, BA GGL/CCR,/GFL, A3 Gold, JBU Mosaic, ITA Executive, HHonors Diamond
April, I believe.
thanks
lets hope always new 3-class configuration, then
Old Mar 17, 2013, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by IkarosBOS
thanks
lets hope always new 3-class configuration, then
all AZ's 772's are reconfigured and that is all they fly on the LAX-FCO route
Old Mar 17, 2013, 2:12 am

FCO-LAX (as well as FCO-ORD) resume in May (source: AZ press release on summer schedule)
Old Mar 18, 2013, 11:37 pm

all AZ's 772's are reconfigured and that is all they fly on the LAX-FCO route
save the notorious (on other routes)operational last minute changes to 763 and air one 332 hehe (lets hope not, but based on extended range i think they canoly use 77 on this route)
Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:10 am

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
LAX-FCO

No more 763 left and with only a couple of the old 332 I very very very much doubt that there would be an aircraft change ( I THINK that a A330 could just about make it to LAX though )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.