Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > ITA Airways | Volare > Alitalia | MilleMiglia
Reload this Page >

Old A330's still plaguing the system. C'mon AZ, it's 2012!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2012, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle

Was shocked when I boarded my MXP-JFK flight in Y a couple of days ago to find this was an un-refurbished crappy A330-200. The coarse fabric is stained and torn in many places. It was literally falling off the seat in front of me. The plastic paneling, whether it be on the sides, ceiling or the seatbacks is cracked in multiple locations including my tray-table which wouldn't properly hold items which kept on slipping towards my lap since a crack made it unstable. The overhead bins are the old smaller type. The seats have zero lower-back support. Rattles were coming from everywhere. Obviously no personal IFE.

The only saving grace for my flight is it was only about a third full so I could stretch out four seats. Wondered if those in the know intentionally avoided this flight.

How much longer will these dogs be on the long-hauls?
Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:35 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Looking at these myself just now. We're you on AZ609/608 or 609/610?

According to the website, the new planes are only on the former, though I have no idea if that's accurate. I'm deciding between the 5:35 and 9:35 departures from JFK and would definitely pick one over the other if only the earlier one really has the new product...
Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by daveland
Looking at these myself just now. We're you on AZ609/608 or 609/610?
It was AZ604 departing at 12:25p, so I would assume AZ605 departing JFK at 7:05p is the same equipment. For me it was one-way (took DL JFK-IST, then AZ IST-FCO-LIN).
Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Oops. I read your first post as FCO-JFK

Anyone know if there is there a list of what flights hae new vs old interiors?
Old Jan 20, 2012, 3:17 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Oops. I read your first post as FCO-JFK

Anyone know if there is there a list of what flights hae new vs old interiors?
332 in the reservation system means old, 330 means new. In looking at ExpertFlyer, I'm seeing a lot of variability (some operated by 764, even), so without knowing your date, it's hard to say which one it will be.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 3:52 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life
Daveland - I flew on AZ608 in early December 2011 (in Y). This was on a new A330 - and I was quite impressed. A clean and comfortable plane (despite being full) and good AVOD.

However, given how variable mtkeller says the equipment is, this may not help you very much...
Old Jan 20, 2012, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by mtkeller
332 in the reservation system means old, 330 means new. In looking at ExpertFlyer, I'm seeing a lot of variability (some operated by 764, even), so without knowing your date, it's hard to say which one it will be.
Looking at JFK-FCO March 1st or 2nd. Right now I'm on the 5:35pm on the 2nd and was pondering a switch to either flight on the first. Don't want to screw up and go new to old though!

If it does look like these are both new every day, do they do a lot of equipment swaps? Or is a booking fairly safe if it shows 330 now?

Thanks for the help!
Old Jan 20, 2012, 10:27 am

It's amazing to me that with all the positive Italian contributions to the western world that Alitalia can be such a failure. Think about it, fashion cuisine, furniture, cars - Lamborghini, Ferrari, most anything to do with style and the Italians have excelled. How can one explain Alitalia, really puzzling.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 3:59 pm

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Oakshadow
Was shocked when I boarded my MXP-JFK flight in Y a couple of days ago to find this was an un-refurbished crappy A330-200.

How much longer will these dogs be on the long-hauls?
They are being used mostly for charter flights, and they are almost NEVER used on AZ 604/605.

You have been very unlucky.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 4:02 pm

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
Looking at JFK-FCO March 1st or 2nd. Right now I'm on the 5:35pm on the 2nd and was pondering a switch to either flight on the first. Don't want to screw up and go new to old though!

If it does look like these are both new every day, do they do a lot of equipment swaps? Or is a booking fairly safe if it shows 330 now?

Thanks for the help!
Equipment swap can happen, but they are quite rare.

Quick way to tell: if your flight sells also premium economy (classica plus) it means it's a new/refit plane.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by godofwine
It's amazing to me that with all the positive Italian contributions to the western world that Alitalia can be such a failure. Think about it, fashion cuisine, furniture, cars - Lamborghini, Ferrari, most anything to do with style and the Italians have excelled. How can one explain Alitalia, really puzzling.
This is the kind of clueless comments that makes me mad.

Alitalia, since going private in 2009, is an excellent carrier by western standards. It is one of the most punctual carriers in Europe (unbelievable!), it has by far the best TATL service in business class on the new aircrafts (both food-wise and seat-wise), and by the end of the summer it will be ALL of the long haul fleet. Most short-haul aircrafts are brand new.

You really should update your anachronistic views, you're talking of a company that does not exist anymore.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 5:12 pm

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
Originally Posted by raistlin

Alitalia, since going private in 2009, is an excellent carrier by western standards. It is one of the most punctual carriers in Europe (unbelievable!), it has by far the best TATL service in business class on the new aircrafts (both food-wise and seat-wise), and by the end of the summer it will be ALL of the long haul fleet. Most short-haul aircrafts are brand new.

You really should update your anachronistic views, you're talking of a company that does not exist anymore.
I'm backing raistlin on this but I'm changing the word "excellent" to decent

In my view AZ is probably the best Skyteam european carrier (albeit with a far smaller network than AF / KL) but it is still lacking in

-> standardised product (too many differences 330 vs 332 vs 763 vs 777)
-> short haul J offering which remains poor, even though as you point out many 320's and 319's and E90's are brand new
-> lounges where ALL skyteam carriers are way way behind the likes of BA

Btw EX MXP you are guarenteed a 330 (new) which means your plane must have gone tech

Do remember that DL on JFK -> MXP uses a 764 with 1-2-1 businessFirst as J - flat bed seating - very similar to AZ new A330
Old Jan 20, 2012, 5:56 pm

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
Originally Posted by mtkeller
Be careful. AZ has no 767-400s, only 767-300s. For some bizarre reason, these come up as "764" but it is not a -400 aircraft!
Old Jan 20, 2012, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by raistlin

Really? Well if Alitalia is so great how come nobody is comparing it to CX, LX, SQ, even LH for crying out loud. If you were to compare the excellence of those areas of Italian strength that I already covered in my previous post and compared them to Alitalia than my point stands and is in no way clueless.

Last edited by godofwine; Jan 20, 2012 at 8:50 pm
Old Jan 21, 2012, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by godofwine
Really? Well if Alitalia is so great how come nobody is comparing it to CX, LX, SQ, even LH for crying out loud. If you were to compare the excellence of those areas of Italian strength that I already covered in my previous post and compared them to Alitalia than my point stands and is in no way clueless.
CX and SQ are surely not what I would call "western standards". So it's a bit pointless to bring them up, right?

LX I wouldn't know, but I'd fly AZ intercontinentally over LH any time, in any class of service (well, except first, which AZ does not offer and which I didn't try on LH). Wider seat pitch, better seats, and (but that's almost obvious...) better food.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.