Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelled Flight - Can I ask for a refund?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2011, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Further Update

I have just received another email from AZCustomerRelationsUK saying that I am indeed entitled to 250 Euros compensation and that I should be providing them with all the relevant details in order to get the transfer sorted. As regards to the timing, I'd say not too bad at all! ^
Old Feb 9, 2012, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Angry

I'm having an absolute nightmare with this matter. Despite an email from Alitalia (nearly 2 months ago) saying that the compensation was en-route and that the full refund had been requested, nothing has shown up on my account as yet. The most frustrating thing, though, is that they are ignoring me big style, to the point that I recently got in touch with the relevant department at the CAA (Civil Aviation Authority), who promptly confirmed that Alitalia was clearly 'on the wrong side' however, given that the flight was supposed to depart from Italy, all they could do is pass the details on to the relevant body down there (ENAC), which means, basically, that nothing is going to happen. I have sent a fax through recently, tried to call, sent several emails etc., but nothing. Can anybody come up with some suggestions on how to resolve this? Cheers. G
Old Feb 9, 2012, 2:20 pm

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
I'm having an absolute nightmare with this matter. Despite an email from Alitalia (nearly 2 months ago) saying that the compensation was en-route and that the full refund had been requested, nothing has shown up on my account as yet. The most frustrating thing, though, is that they are ignoring me big style, to the point that I recently got in touch with the relevant department at the CAA (Civil Aviation Authority), who promptly confirmed that Alitalia was clearly 'on the wrong side' however, given that the flight was supposed to depart from Italy, all they could do is pass the details on to the relevant body down there (ENAC), which means, basically, that nothing is going to happen. I have sent a fax through recently, tried to call, sent several emails etc., but nothing. Can anybody come up with some suggestions on how to resolve this? Cheers. G
I would post on Facebook, and call.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:23 am

Can anybody come up with some suggestions on how to resolve this? Cheers. G
Call, call, always call, do nothing but call - the Italy number, that is to say.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by raistlin
I would post on Facebook, and call.
Originally Posted by bungler
Call, call, always call, do nothing but call - the Italy number, that is to say.
Thank you. Any idea of the number I should be ringing [from abroad]? I have found this one on the Alitalia website: +39 06 65649 - hopefully they'll be able to assist? G
Old Feb 10, 2012, 3:20 pm

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
Thank you. Any idea of the number I should be ringing [from abroad]? I have found this one on the Alitalia website: +39 06 65649 - hopefully they'll be able to assist? G
If you have no status, that's the one. 644 final if you are ULS/CFA. The number you know if you are CFP
Old Feb 11, 2012, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Thank you, folks. I have just called the number above where a nice girl suggested to get in touch with Customer Relations, and so I did: they retrieved my file (despite the fact that my previous dealings were entirely with their colleagues here in the UK) and confirmed that the transfer was requested on December 19th, even though they said that it may take up to 90 days for the funds to show on my bank account (same thing for the ticket reimbursement). Fingers crossed.
On a positive note, I had to make some amendments to an award ticket a couple of days ago: to my surprise, I received the taxes reimbursement in literally 48 hours.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 4:32 am

Thank you, folks. I have just called the number above where a nice girl suggested to get in touch with Customer Relations, and so I did: they retrieved my file (despite the fact that my previous dealings were entirely with their colleagues here in the UK) and confirmed that the transfer was requested on December 19th, even though they said that it may take up to 90 days for the funds to show on my bank account (same thing for the ticket reimbursement). Fingers crossed.
On a positive note, I had to make some amendments to an award ticket a couple of days ago: to my surprise, I received the taxes reimbursement in literally 48 hours.
^ - fingers crossed for you mate!
Old Mar 20, 2012, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs down

Believe me or not, the above saga is still pretty much under way. I have yet to receive both the ticket reimbursement (no cancellation invoice appeared on my inbox as yet, after nearly 4 months) and the 250 Euros compensation (apparently processed by Alitalia on December 19th). Furthermore, they are refusing to respond to my emails, which I find simply unacceptable. I had nearly forgotten how bad (and annoying, may I add) is dealing with Italian companies in terms of customer services
Old Mar 22, 2012, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Believe me or not, the above saga is still pretty much under way. I have yet to receive both the ticket reimbursement (no cancellation invoice appeared on my inbox as yet, after nearly 4 months) and the 250 Euros compensation (apparently processed by Alitalia on December 19th). Furthermore, they are refusing to respond to my emails, which I find simply unacceptable. I had nearly forgotten how bad (and annoying, may I add) is dealing with Italian companies in terms of customer services
If it came to this here in the US and I was able to take a few hours off work, i'd take them to small-claims court. This is common and is frequently successful. I'm positive there's similar recourse in the UK but don't know the details.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by Oakshadow
If it came to this here in the US and I was able to take a few hours off work, i'd take them to small-claims court. This is common and is frequently successful. I'm positive there's similar recourse in the UK but don't know the details.
A court in the UK might be convenient to a passenger happening to reside in one the three separate legal jurisdictions making up the UK ( England and Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland)-although just because the claimant was resident in either wouldnt mean that such a UK court would accept jurisdiction to hear such a dispute for this air carriage that has no apparent connection with a UK departure or arrival point.

An air carrier might know that even if a litigiously inclined passenger didnt.

(Obtaining financial recovery for the (full) lost opportunity of taking several hours off work to go to court would be highly problematic/unlikely in any event in a UK "small claims" process).
Old Mar 23, 2012, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Shona
A court in the UK might be convenient to a passenger happening to reside in one the three separate legal jurisdictions making up the UK ( England and Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland)-although just because the claimant was resident in either wouldnt mean that such a UK court would accept jurisdiction to hear such a dispute for this air carriage that has no apparent connection with a UK departure or arrival point.

An air carrier might know that even if a litigiously inclined passenger didnt.

(Obtaining financial recovery for the (full) lost opportunity of taking several hours off work to go to court would be highly problematic/unlikely in any event in a UK "small claims" process).
Again, I don't know the details of the UK court system, but in the US and in particular in individual states, as long as the defendant does any business in that jurisdiction, legal action can be taken against them. For example, if a Florida resident purchased an AZ FCO-LIN ticket while in Florida (even if it's online) and that flight was canceled and AZ didn't issue a refund, because AZ does business in Florida, they can be sued in Florida.

It's worth it for the OP to look into it.

Last edited by Oakshadow; Mar 23, 2012 at 3:03 pm Reason: clarification. better example
Old Mar 24, 2012, 4:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Oakshadow
Again, I don't know the details of the UK court system, but in the US and in particular in individual states, as long as the defendant does any business in that jurisdiction, legal action can be taken against them. For example, if a Florida resident purchased an AZ FCO-LIN ticket while in Florida (even if it's online) and that flight was canceled and AZ didn't issue a refund, because AZ does business in Florida, they can be sued in Florida.

It's worth it for the OP to look into it.
Thank you - I shall certainly bear that in mind. That said, it is somehow shocking that, for less than 300 quid (reimbursement plus compensation), Alitalia would rather prefer facing legal actions, bad press and so on.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 5:29 pm

Thank you - I shall certainly bear that in mind. That said, it is somehow shocking that, for less than 300 quid (reimbursement plus compensation), Alitalia would rather prefer facing legal actions, bad press and so on.
AlicorporateUK, sorry to hear your predicament.

Did you try to call the Italian call center, going through number 5? My experience is almost always a quick resolution of matters, but of course I call the CFP line...

Also, a post on facebook with full details might help speed up things.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by raistlin
AlicorporateUK, sorry to hear your predicament.

Did you try to call the Italian call center, going through number 5? My experience is almost always a quick resolution of matters, but of course I call the CFP line...

Also, a post on facebook with full details might help speed up things.
I call them on a regular basis (despite my limited Italian and the lack of time due to my job) and all I'm told every time is to be patient The question is: how can one be patient when, since the end of November, I have yet to get the cancellation invoice concerning the ticket in question, let alone the compensation Believe me, I travel a lot (work) and I had never experienced a similar fiasco before. Frustrating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.