Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alitalia reviews

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2011, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Alitalia reviews

I am getting ready to purchase R/T tickets to go to Rome in April. Alitalia seems an obvious choice, though they are out of my price range at the moment. Never flown Alitalia. Any comments on their planes/service?
Old Mar 11, 2011, 10:01 am

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by stratfordnana
I am getting ready to purchase R/T tickets to go to Rome in April. Alitalia seems an obvious choice, though they are out of my price range at the moment. Never flown Alitalia. Any comments on their planes/service?
From where, on which aircraft, and in which class?
Old Mar 11, 2011, 12:07 pm

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
If you can avoid them, do But if flying from the USA and you want to go nonstop and in economy i guess its better than the US airline alternatives
Old Mar 11, 2011, 12:44 pm

That's always a very difficult and easily opinionated question to answer, however I'd say that especially lately AZ has been running on-time, without luggage problems and with a good on board service. The major risk is running into obsolete aircraft (compared to the newest models anyway). If you can tell us some flight numbers then we will be able to expand further.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 9:41 am

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by rathin100
If you can avoid them, do
(RANT ALERT!)

This is the kind of ill-advised, non-updated advice that makes me wonder why people even care to answer to questions at times.

Alitalia flies, by far, the best economy class and business class service between Milan-Rome and JFK-MIA in the Skyteam alliance. And "by far" I really mean with light-years of difference against any of the partners.

In general, except routes serviced by the 767 (764 on Alitalia's website) and the ex-AP A330 (332 on Alitalia's website), the intercontinental service by AZ is surely comparable, not to say superior, to the best AF experience in J and to the best KL experience in Y.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 9:48 am

Programs: AA , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platnium,Hyatt Diamond
It better than any us airline in all classes of service. Not sure about other international airlines
Old Mar 12, 2011, 10:50 am

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
Don't like these "generalised" threads

AZ are fine - sometimes great sometimes average but in all classes you'll have a pleasant trip

In Y I find all airlines much of a muchness and would definately prioritise

a) direct routing / no stopover
b) cost
c) timings of flights
d) other (airline, ff program ecc ecc)
Old Mar 13, 2011, 5:21 am

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Originally Posted by raistlin
(RANT ALERT!)

This is the kind of ill-advised, non-updated advice that makes me wonder why people even care to answer to questions at times.

Alitalia flies, by far, the best economy class and business class service between Milan-Rome and JFK-MIA in the Skyteam alliance. And "by far" I really mean with light-years of difference against any of the partners.

In general, except routes serviced by the 767 (764 on Alitalia's website) and the ex-AP A330 (332 on Alitalia's website), the intercontinental service by AZ is surely comparable, not to say superior, to the best AF experience in J and to the best KL experience in Y.

A two line response is not a rant. Grow up.

Again in my view: If the OP wanted to get world class service there are many one stop options that are light years ahead of Alitalia. Alitalia is better than the US airlines because their food and beverage service is better in economy but not in many other respects, in my opinion. It definitely beloings in the bottom league of global airlines.. Ask any FF with a choice. Or check-out any airline review website.. or read the papers.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 6:26 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
A rant or not; such claim should (from the start) include some kind of explanation as to why one should avoid them.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 6:39 am

Why so defensive ?
Old Mar 13, 2011, 9:13 am

Programs: HH Diamond, AZ CFA, LH
I'm an Alitalia, Air France and Lufthansa frequent flyer, and I can say that they are more or less at same level, with different weak points (e.g. during the icelandic volcano eruption I received better assistance and more prompt refund from Alitalia than from Lufthansa). From Atlanta or NY Alitalia has Boeing 767, from LA 777, and I felt confortable flying with them. Don't have great expectations about food, but after landing you won't be disappointed at this regard .
Old Mar 13, 2011, 2:37 pm

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (S60; SymbOS; Opera Mobi/498; U; en-GB) Presto/2.4.18 Version/10.00)

Originally Posted by rathin100
Originally Posted by raistlin
(RANT ALERT!)

A two line response is not a rant. Grow up.

Again in my view: If the OP wanted to get world class service there are many one stop options that are light years ahead of Alitalia. Alitalia is better than the US airlines because their food and beverage service is better in economy but not in many other respects, in my opinion. It definitely beloings in the bottom league of global airlines.. Ask any FF with a choice. Or check-out any airline review website.. or read the papers.
... or.... fly with them...?
(I guess you didn't think of that)
I daresay raistlin frequently flies with AZ, so there's no need to tell him to "read the papers" or "ask an FF" to know what the service is like. Also his rant alert was (I think) related to his own post and not yours.
All opinions should be respected, but really I think it's becoming undeniable that Alitalia's shabbiness has been reduced to a very small portion of its service aspects.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 3:41 pm

I respectfully disagree I have flown with them 3 months ago and no change from last year..same shoddy shabby service The OP is asking quite rightly because of Alitalias terrible repiutation My own experience confirms it and so does that of many others I know Thats my input
Old Mar 14, 2011, 12:46 am

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (S60; SymbOS; Opera Mobi/498; U; en-GB) Presto/2.4.18 Version/10.00)

Alitalia's terrible reputation is due to the period around 25-30 months ago in which due to severe financial issues many flights were cancelled or delayed, luggage lost and timetables changed without notice for the months that followed.
Nowadays, although I have to agree that the service can be shabby especially if you don't speak Italian, you can at least say that the comfort is good, the food is okay and all the old problems to do with regularity are gone. Voilà.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 2:53 pm

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
Flew a couple of times this weekend with AZ - full planes but very good service

Great to have TV's working on new A320

Not so happy with Linate lounge -BA lounge in LIN is far better (and where I will be going next weekend..)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.