AZ vs LH Italia

Old Jun 17, 2010, 4:28 am

Programs: BA[G], SQ[G], TK[G], DL[PM], EY[G], AF[S], IC[Amb], HH[G]
Originally Posted by blumage
When booking flights to European cities i usually tend to choose Linate. But for flights to any destination out of the schengen area then,no choice, I have to go to Malpensa. I'm really surprised that a lot of you talk about the traffic when you can just catch the train in Cadorna or Bovisa and will get you to the airport in 40 min. I also heard that there will be soon a train connection from centrale and that the Ferrovie dello Stato are planning to run Freccia Rossa trains to MXP.
bluimage, I will try to explain you everything.
I will start from the end: the train connection between Milano Centrale and Malpensa does not exist as of today. It has been rumoured for at least 10 years, but we are still here to wait. Sorry but in Italy you don't have to believe to everything is said or promised. The same is for FrecciaRossa (even because the infrastructure is not suitable for high speed, so the train will run at regular speed): it's a mere marketing speculation.

As for the train between Cadorna and Malpensa, the major downside is connected with the fact the airport was opened when the train connection was not ready, so the people at that stage had only the bus option. Many people used to take the bus and had never change this habit.
Moreover, while Milano Centrale (the place the buses leave from) is very well connected (even) to hinterland, neither Bovisa and Cadorna are the best place in the city. Furthermore, 1 train every 30 mins is not enough.
If you really wanted to provide a serious service, you had to start a fast service every 30 mins to Milano Centrale since 1998, AND a local service (stopping in Saronno and Bovisa), travelling the PASSANTE every 30 mins alternated to the direct service. Having a local service stopping in 6 or 7 stops in Milano City would help to attract passengers.

This is my opinion.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 4:50 am

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
I'm really surprised that a lot of you talk about the traffic when you can just catch the train in Cadorna or Bovisa and will get you to the airport in 40 min.
Plus the time to get to Cadorna, plus a buffer not to lose the train and have to wait 30 mins, and up you get again to 1.5-2 hrs. Provided you live near a underground station, that is.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
Originally Posted by paffendorf
I will start from the end: the train connection between Milano Centrale and Malpensa does not exist as of today. It has been rumoured for at least 10 years, but we are still here to wait. Sorry but in Italy you don't have to believe to everything is said or promised. The same is for FrecciaRossa (even because the infrastructure is not suitable for high speed, so the train will run at regular speed): it's a mere marketing speculation.

As for the train between Cadorna and Malpensa, the major downside is connected with the fact the airport was opened when the train connection was not ready, so the people at that stage had only the bus option. Many people used to take the bus and had never change this habit.
Moreover, while Milano Centrale (the place the buses leave from) is very well connected (even) to hinterland, neither Bovisa and Cadorna are the best place in the city. Furthermore, 1 train every 30 mins is not enough.
If you really wanted to provide a serious service, you had to start a fast service every 30 mins to Milano Centrale since 1998, AND a local service (stopping in Saronno and Bovisa), travelling the PASSANTE every 30 mins alternated to the direct service. Having a local service stopping in 6 or 7 stops in Milano City would help to attract passengers.

This is my opinion.
Agree but would add that when AZ / KL first "landed" at MXP things were much much worse (the roads were non existant as the A4 allaciamento hadn't even been started...)

It really was chaos

Were now to be the "start" of MXP things really wouldn't be considered that bad

returning to the thread LH ITALIA does actually have a chance of making a MXP a decent hub for themselves if they

a) pick the correct destinations
b) improve facilities at MXP
c) reduce parking rates (how can covered parking be 28€ a day - the same as LINATE!!!)
d) do something on the lounge / oasis front

They need to be different and who knows - somebody (LH / BA with openskies) might just start some Longhaul services too..
Old Jun 17, 2010, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by terminalfive

returning to the thread LH ITALIA does actually have a chance of making a MXP a decent hub for themselves if they

c) reduce parking rates (how can covered parking be 28€ a day - the same as LINATE!!!)

They need to be different and who knows - somebody (LH / BA with openskies) might just start some Longhaul services too..
I think LHI should include the ticket for train in the ticket advertising it as "free train ride for any LHI ticket". It's a stupid thing but to know you don't have to buy a ticket and to pay the train apart would help.
Completely agree the lounge facilities are really poor, compared to the number of flight operated in/out of MXP.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 2:14 am
Original Poster

I think LHI should include the ticket for train in the ticket advertising it as "free train ride for any LHI ticket". It's a stupid thing but to know you don't have to buy a ticket and to pay the train apart would help.
Completely agree the lounge facilities are really poor, compared to the number of flight operated in/out of MXP.
They are moving on the seami program

http://www.seamiprogram.it/home.jsp

They are the only airline "partner" and this card offers discount on MXP express - better than nothing^

You accumulate points on everything and I advise everyone to sign up for one of these cards (free) that are valid both in LIN and MXP

Parked in LIN the other day and the card gave me 5% discount + all the points that for me will go towards fast track when flying IG / LH
Old Jun 18, 2010, 3:42 am

terminalfive, to boost the traffic to MXP it's not enough
Old Jun 18, 2010, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by Volvic
LIN vs MXP (this airport is not Milan!)
Technically, also LIN isn't in Milan: it's in Segrate.

Originally Posted by philitalia
It got Alitalia into trouble and they abandoned it as a hub a few years ago.
The problem was AZ (especially its costs structure) and the dualism between LIN and MXP.

These "new" airbus 320 are ex-Air One planes, which was partially owned by Lufthansa
No, LH was just a partner, it has never been a shareholder of AP.

the sheraton will open (I think!!!)
It should be inaugurated on August.

I will start from the end: the train connection between Milano Centrale and Malpensa does not exist as of today.
I have to correct what you wrote. The connection between Centrale and Garibaldi exists, it has just been completed and it's fully operative. The problem is that trains timetables change at specific intervals (for example on June and on December), so at the moment Trenitalia/LeNord doesn't want to start the service. It's rumoured that the service will be started on September, but it's not sure. The trains that will be used should be these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGIdAiMl7Ts (during the tests)
http://forum.milanotrasporti.org/vie...php?f=7&t=3989

Obviously I agree with you about marketing speculation: politicians promise a lot of things.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 1:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by janmnastami

It should be inaugurated on August.
Sheraton taking reservations from 1 september - roughly 130€ / night
There will be a club foor
Old Jun 19, 2010, 3:41 am

Technically, also LIN isn't in Milan: it's in Segrate.
you understood perfectly what I mean. Malpensa neither belongs to Milan Province. Said that, there's nothing to add.

I have to correct what you wrote. The connection between Centrale and Garibaldi exists, it has just been completed and it's fully operative. The problem is that trains timetables change at specific intervals (for example on June and on December), so at the moment Trenitalia/LeNord doesn't want to start the service. It's rumoured that the service will be started on September, but it's not sure. The trains that will be used should be these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGIdAiMl7Ts (during the tests)
http://forum.milanotrasporti.org/vie...php?f=7&t=3989

Obviously I agree with you about marketing speculation: politicians promise a lot of things.
The service is not available on a regular basis, therefore it's missing.
Sorry for being so rude but it's a shame after 12 years. And I don't like those getting excited for something that should have happened soon after inauguration! (nothing personal against you).
Old Jun 19, 2010, 6:25 am

Programs: KM P, DL S | SPG G, HH S | Hertz PC, Sixt Plat

Basically, LHI should take over SEA!
Old Jun 19, 2010, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Alice11
Basically, LHI should take over SEA!
Nooo.. But they've become a big player at MXP

Considering how MXP was three or four years back quite a lot has changed and the parking facilities are already a lot better^

Having a hotel in terminal was essential as MXP is a 24 hour airport

Remember taking a KF flight a couple of years back literally in the middle of the night

Thinking of LHI vs AZ some of the ROUTES that I would like to see back to MILAN are

-> South America
-> CAI
-> DXB
-> ATH
-> ORD
-> LAX (dreaming... but seeing the success from FCO - a California flight from Milan would be a success - well I'd be on it!!!!)
-> BKK / HKG / SIN all destinations AZ should serve again
Old Jun 19, 2010, 8:23 am

you understood perfectly what I mean.

Sorry for being so rude but it's a shame after 12 years. And I don't like those getting excited for something that should have happened soon after inauguration! (nothing personal against you).
Yes, it's a shame, but SEA doesn't build railtracks (it's RFI - Rete Ferroviaria Italiana) and we know how long it takes to build infrastructures in Italy.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 9:35 am

Yes, it's a shame, but SEA doesn't build railtracks (it's RFI - Rete Ferroviaria Italiana) and we know how long it takes to build infrastructures in Italy.
I never said it was SEA's fault. It's a well common fault.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 12:18 pm

Programs: Asia Miles
-> BKK / HKG / SIN all destinations AZ should serve again
How can AZ compete with the likes of Thai,Cathay or Singapore?
Old Jun 19, 2010, 12:28 pm

How can AZ compete with the likes of Thai,Cathay or Singapore?
+1.
Maybe they could offer biz seat at economy price.... I could consider to fly AZ :P

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.