Search

Checked Baggage Question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2010, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTP - Aeroplan 50K
Checked Baggage Question

Hi everyone,

Our group is flying YYZ-FCO-MAD in a month's time on AZ.

I'm assuming the bags will be checked from YYZ through the MAD as the final destination. We have a long layover in FCO and want to go into the city for a while.

My question that I need confirmed is, "Will we have to collect our checked bags in FCO (and transfer them ourselves on to the MAD flight), or will they be transferred automatically on to our MAD flight and we won't have to touch them?"

Thanks for any insights on this topic :-)

Singlepoint
Old Mar 4, 2010, 2:02 am

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum . AZ FrecciaAlata . IC AmbassadorPlatinum .
Hi Singlepoints !

The answer is very simple and easy to be provided to you .

Well ........... IT WILL BE UP TO YOU !

I mean ...... when you'll check-in at Alitalia check-in desks at Toronto Pearsons Int'l ( I'm assuming your scheduled flight is AZ 651 departing at 4:45 PM ) , YOU CAN ASK FOR THE BAGGAGE TO BE SENT DIRECTLY TO MADRID BARAJAS APT. ( I'm assuming your scheduled flight is AZ 64 departing at 9:15 PM next day ) OR NOT .

1) If you ask for the baggage to be sent to MAD , then YOU'LL NEVER TOUCH YOUR LUGGAGE UPUNTIL YOUR ARRIVAL IN SPAIN : if such will be the case , you'll clear customs in SPAIN .

2) If you ask for the baggage to be sent to FCO as final destination , then YOU'LL HAVE TO COLLECT YOUR LUGGAGE IN ROME FIUMICINO APT : if such will be the case , you'll clear customs in ITALY ...........and of course , you need to come back to FCO on time to check-in again your luggage to MAD ( but you'll NO MORE clear any customs since SPAIN & ITALY are members of the European Union and you are free to pass across the "borders" after your first international port of entry without any more customs check )

I hope that everything is clear , but if you have any more questions , do not hesitate to let me know

italian flyer
Old Mar 4, 2010, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by italian flyer
Hi Singlepoints !

The answer is very simple and easy to be provided to you .

Well ........... IT WILL BE UP TO YOU !

I mean ...... when you'll check-in at Alitalia check-in desks at Toronto Pearsons Int'l ( I'm assuming your scheduled flight is AZ 651 departing at 4:45 PM ) , YOU CAN ASK FOR THE BAGGAGE TO BE SENT DIRECTLY TO MADRID BARAJAS APT. ( I'm assuming your scheduled flight is AZ 64 departing at 9:15 PM next day ) OR NOT .

1) If you ask for the baggage to be sent to MAD , then YOU'LL NEVER TOUCH YOUR LUGGAGE UPUNTIL YOUR ARRIVAL IN SPAIN : if such will be the case , you'll clear customs in SPAIN .

2) If you ask for the baggage to be sent to FCO as final destination , then YOU'LL HAVE TO COLLECT YOUR LUGGAGE IN ROME FIUMICINO APT : if such will be the case , you'll clear customs in ITALY ...........and of course , you need to come back to FCO on time to check-in again your luggage to MAD ( but you'll NO MORE clear any customs since SPAIN & ITALY are members of the European Union and you are free to pass across the "borders" after your first international port of entry without any more customs check )

I hope that everything is clear , but if you have any more questions , do not hesitate to let me know

italian flyer
Hello Italian Flyer,

Thanks for your reply :-)

We are on AZ651 YYZ-FCO but then we have a 7-hr layover in FCO and are scheduled to be on AZ60 from FCO-MAD. My intent is to have the bags at YYZ checked right through to MAD but then when we get to FCO, to take the train into Rome for a few hours.

I should be able to clear customs at FCO but leave my baggage to be checked through to MAD (ie: I won't see it between YYZ and MAD) directly. Is this correct ?

Thanks again,

Singlepoint
Old Mar 4, 2010, 1:21 pm

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum . AZ FrecciaAlata . IC AmbassadorPlatinum .
Singlepoint,
I absolutely understood your issue

ONCE AGAIN : if you want to take your luggage ONLY at your final destination ( MADRID ) , then you'll have to clear customs IN MADRID !!!

Anyway , you are free to catch the train and to visit Rome during your 7 hours layover : YOU'LL CLEAR CUSTOMS IN ROME ONLY FOR YOUR HAND BAGGAGE .......... BUT ITALIAN CUSTOMS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CLEAR YOUR CHECKED-IN BAGGAGE .
CHECKED-IN BAGGAGE WILL BE CLEARED BY SPANISH CUSTOMS WHEN YOU'LL ARRIVE IN MADRID ...........

So , in Madrid you'll ONLY clear customs for your checked baggage but YOU'LL NOT clear anymore customs for your hand baggage ( since it has already cleared in Rome by the Italian Customs )

hOPE NOW IS CLEAR ......
Old Mar 5, 2010, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

Perfect :-)

Thanks Italian Flyer,

Cheers,

Singlepoint

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.