Wiki Posts
Search

Taquan Air in Ketchikan

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2009, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 100K, National and Avis Elite member
Angry Taquan Air in Ketchikan

I just recently flew a round trip from Ketchikan to Craig AK (a small community in southern Alaska). We had reservations on Taquan Air for this trip. The outbound flight was fine and the pilot was friendly. There were just 2 of us on the flight and everything was fine.

Then came the return flight which was a total disaster!

We had a flight back to Ketchikan (from Craig). All flights to Ketchikan on all airlines were delayed due to fog in Ketchikan (not an unusual problem for Ketchikan, and something you just have to live with). There are 2 other airlines who fly this route (Pacific Airways and Promech). Their flights were delayed as well.

After several hours of waiting in Craig, both Pacific Airways and Promech said their flights were operating again as the fog in Ketchikan had lifted. The Taquan Airlines rep was nowhere to be found. I called Taquan Air and they told me that they still were not flying to/from Craig with no explanation, even though the fog was no longer a problem, and the other airlines were flying to/from Craig. They told us that they had no idea when they would be flying again and literally left us stranded with no way to get to Ketchikan. They didn't offer any help or suggestions on what to do next. They just said "sorry, there's nothing we can tell you" and hung up. This was outrageous.

We finally said the heck with Taquan and instead flew on Pacific Airways (who had the next flight out). Their staff were very friendly and understood our dilemma and offered to help us (the Promech staff also offered to help us). We called Taquan Air and demanded a refund of our return ticket (which they did). We later found out that Taquan Air was operating flights to other cities but just decided not to fly to/from Craig. It's rediculous that an airline would just strand passengers and do absolutely nothing to get them to their destination.

So the final message here is.......When flying local flights out of Ketchikan, don't waste your time and money with Taquan, and instead take Pacific Airways or Promech. You'll be glad you did.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 8:12 pm

Programs: AS mileage plan
First time flying in Southeast,huh?

Your life might have been saved by Taquan's decision to not fly. This time of year one can easily be delayed for days by bad weather. Heck, just the other day I saw a promech flight in unbelievable bad weather buzzing my house. I couldn't believe that they would be so stupid as even attempt to operate flights in that kind of conditions.

Secondly, not very smart to plan a trip to a remote island in Southeast Alaska and not make back up plans for in case you get stranded (the POW ferry runs seven days a week, rain or shine).

There's so much that can be said on this topic. So yeah. I won't say what I want to say because I might violate the TOS.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

The problem with Taquan wasn't the weather

When both Promech and Pacific Airways were flying latter that morning, weather was no longer an issue (the skies were totally clear (sunny in fact!).....I know that since I was on the Pacific Airways flight when the fog lifted). Taquan Air just chose to strand us despite the greatly improved weather conditions. Weather issues are one thing. Stranding folks with no weather problems at the time (when other flights were flying in GOOD weather conditions), and giving us no help in getting out of Craig (to Ketchikan) is quite another matter.

My position stands with Taquan Air.....avoid them, especially since there are better alternatives to local flights in/out of Ketchikan.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by AllTheNamesWhereTaken

Your life might have been saved by Taquan's decision to not fly. This time of year one can easily be delayed for days by bad weather. Heck, just the other day I saw a promech flight in unbelievable bad weather buzzing my house. I couldn't believe that they would be so stupid as even attempt to operate flights in that kind of conditions.

Secondly, not very smart to plan a trip to a remote island in Southeast Alaska and not make back up plans for in case you get stranded (the POW ferry runs seven days a week, rain or shine).

There's so much that can be said on this topic. So yeah. I won't say what I want to say because I might violate the TOS.
So these other two airlines must have a disastrous safety record, right? I'd be interested in seeing those stats.

Otherwise, it sounds like a case of poor customer service, and I hope the OP's warning is heeded by other potential passengers.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
so right, so very right!!!

Originally Posted by AllTheNamesWhereTaken

In Alaska I am always prepared to sleep where I can and have slept in airport 'terminals' several times. Some were no more than equipment shacks. The word Schedule and Southeast Alaska don't go together. You have to be prepared to wait.

Last edited by oldpenny16; Nov 15, 2009 at 7:46 am
Old Nov 14, 2009, 5:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by oldpenny16
In Alaska I am always prepared to sleep where I can and have slept in airport 'terminals' several times. Some were no more than equipment shacks. The word Schedule and Southeast Alaska don't go together. You hae to be prepared to wait.
Yep, and not just SE Alaska, either. You never want to go to Bethel, Kotzebue, etc. without 18+ hours to spare and a change of clothes, either. Alaska weather is really unpredictable -- and the terrain is very unforgiving. I'd much rather be stranded for a day than have my pilot be making risky aviation decisions (perhaps to appease angry tourists).

It does sound like they could have been more patient/helpful with the OP, though -- an apology and an explanation goes a long way in those situations.

Last edited by Ruthalaska; Nov 14, 2009 at 5:48 pm
Old Nov 15, 2009, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some people get darn antsy when they are told they are not going to be able to fly.

We have no idea how the OP acted when given the news.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 9:51 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Taquan Air has a coupon in the 2010 Toursaver book (www.toursaver.com) for buy one/get one Misty Fjord flight free. Cost is normally $229/person and they are letting two fly for that price (cost of the toursaver coupon book is $99.50 plus shipping but as you can see, just one coupon can save you more than the cost of the book).

And there is a secondary market for used books on EBay.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is a secondary market for the books, but you need the whole book to get the benefit of the coupons. Also the 2009 books have all expired.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 12:57 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
There is a secondary market for the books
I mentioned that in my post.

Also the 2009 books have all expired.
I mentioned 2010 in my post too

The book is much smaller than the Northern Lights book (from which you can tear out needed coupons and just present the coupon, not the entire book), and I have never found it difficult to carry the Toursaver book. A small price to pay for potentially substantial savings.

Last edited by fti; Nov 17, 2009 at 1:10 pm
Old Jan 8, 2010, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Re-read my original posts

Some people get darn antsy when they are told they are not going to be able to fly. We have no idea how the OP acted when given the news.
I'm the OP. I think some of you need to re-read my original posts. I fly every week so I'm a very seasoned flier and know all too well about delays. Let me quote again from my earlier posts:

"All flights to Ketchikan on all airlines were delayed due to fog in Ketchikan (not an unusual problem for Ketchikan, and something you just have to live with). " So yes, I'm well aware of weather issues in SE Alaska.

"When both Promech and Pacific Airways were flying latter that morning, weather was no longer an issue (the skies were totally clear (sunny in fact!).....I know that since I was on the Pacific Airways flight when the fog lifted). Taquan Air just chose to strand us despite the greatly improved weather conditions. Weather issues are one thing. Stranding folks with no weather problems at the time (when other flights were flying in GOOD weather conditions), and giving us no help in getting out of Craig (to Ketchikan) is quite another matter. "

Translation: At this point, the problem was with Taquan, not the weather.
I didn't lose my temper nor raise my voice when dealing with Taquan, rather I was annoyed with them, and wanted them to do something to get me back to Ketchikan. [Golden rule....never lose your temper with an airline as they are less likely to help you when you do].

"I called Taquan Air and they told me that they still were not flying to/from Craig with no explanation.....They told us that they had no idea when they would be flying again and literally left us stranded.....They didn't offer any help or suggestions on what to do next. They just said "sorry, there's nothing we can tell you" and hung up. "

Translation: Lousy customer service!

One of the key things that determine a good airline is not only how they treat you when things go right, but also how they treat you when things go wrong. In this case, Taquan did a lousy job in how they treating us when things went wrong.

Given that there are 2 other airlines that fly this exact same route, I suggest folks fly this route on Pacific Airways or Promech instead.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 10:15 am

Programs: AS Gold, UA 2P, SPG Plat
Yes poor customer service. Bad news is ProMech and PacAir are often just as bad. I used to fly the am Taquan flight from MET to KTN about once a week, though I sometimes flew Promech if something went wrong and when the weather got bad I had to drive down to the ferry. Any one of the three airlines can give you poor service on any given day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.