Search

Mossy sound pin

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2009, 7:35 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Mossy sound pin

My neighbor bought a devise from Costco many years ago (think those ear things people use for their phone), that makes a low noise that is a predictor noise and keeps mosquitoes away. The devise has a clip on it that attaches to ones clothes.

Anyone think we (wife and I, the neighbor has 2) should take these with us and actually wear them? Anyone know some one in Alaska that wears them, or equivalent?
Old Jun 2, 2009, 10:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by ranles
My neighbor bought a devise from Costco many years ago (think those ear things people use for their phone), that makes a low noise that is a predictor noise and keeps mosquitoes away. The devise has a clip on it that attaches to ones clothes.

Anyone think we (wife and I, the neighbor has 2) should take these with us and actually wear them? Anyone know some one in Alaska that wears them, or equivalent?
I have not seen anyone use such a device... usually lather on the 100% deet (just don't get it on the plastics... they melt )

But its worth a shot ^
Old Jun 3, 2009, 9:43 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
I bought such a contraption in 2006 when I went to Wonder Lake to camp inside Denali NP (any device is put to the test there through mid August!). It really didn't do what it was hyped up to. As mentioned above, DEET was the best, mosquito nets were great there since the mosquitoes were really dense, and another device that worked wonders was the Off Power Pad lamp. This is really only practical if you are stationery. But light that and the mosquitoes disperse. Any store with a garden or outdoors department has them (about $10, refills cost extra).

John
Old Jun 3, 2009, 4:11 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

The one's my neighbor has loaned us are Mosquito Contro (l?) by Lentek. Their web site has similar items for "general" bugs, but not this one which says Mosquito contro (l?) on the front. Is also has US EPA Est. No. 678644-CHN-002 on it and made in China. Goggling or Binging the # brings up another product.

Hate to look stupid wearing a product that has been proven worthless, if so, yet if it is a useful devise, hate to not have it with us.

Any more input? Leaving in the AM, now 3pm
Thanks
Old Jun 3, 2009, 5:58 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
I haven't seen any one wear them, but really wasn't looking for it either.

And I had thought they were not effective. Can't remember where I heard or read that, but I just remember that they don't really do anything. I would bring it anyways though, just to try it. Stand somewhere and wait for a ton of mosquitoes to start chomping away at you, then turn on the device and see it if works .

Don't worry about looking stupid though. I've noticed in any area with tourists, there will always be someone who looks stupider then you ^
Old Jun 3, 2009, 9:02 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

good advise and a good giggle too

thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.