Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Renting a car for Seattle-Alaska trip

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2007, 2:34 pm

A link for one of the RV rental companies that does one-way rentals:

http://www.abcmotorhome.com/one_way.html

Elkhart, IN or Seattle, WA to Anchorage at the beginning of the season.

Anchorage to Seattle at the end of the season.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 12:51 pm

I figured out a way out of this conundrum. My job only gave me 9 days off in a row so I bought a cheap minivan in Reno Nevada, and arranged a buyer for it in Anchorage. The girl was so happy to get a vehicle with no salt damage and one that was apparently road worthy enough to make it. Of course if we had broken down on the way we would have been in a pickle--but it worked!
Old Sep 3, 2017, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Would anyone be able to comment on if Canadians are ok renting a car in the US, driving it into Canada, then driving it to the US and returning the car? And this Canadian is a US resident...

I've read conflicting things about if this is allowed or not allowed. Some say as long you can show CBSA it's not your intention to keep the car (thereby evading import taxes) then they'll let you through. Other say CBSA will simply not allow you to come in, but I've also read where people have done this without problem.

Am thinking about how to plan a trip from HNL -> SEA/BLI -> Rent car/Amtrak to YVR/ferry directly into Alaska -> ANC -> HNL. The most confusing part is what happens if I rent a car at places like Haines or Skagway and drive into the rest of Alaska by crossing a section of BC...
Old Sep 4, 2017, 4:01 am

Programs: MP, BR
Originally Posted by msp3
Would anyone be able to comment on if Canadians are ok renting a car in the US, driving it into Canada, then driving it to the US and returning the car? And this Canadian is a US resident...

I've read conflicting things about if this is allowed or not allowed. Some say as long you can show CBSA it's not your intention to keep the car (thereby evading import taxes) then they'll let you through. Other say CBSA will simply not allow you to come in, but I've also read where people have done this without problem.

Am thinking about how to plan a trip from HNL -> SEA/BLI -> Rent car/Amtrak to YVR/ferry directly into Alaska -> ANC -> HNL. The most confusing part is what happens if I rent a car at places like Haines or Skagway and drive into the rest of Alaska by crossing a section of BC...

I guess it depends on the T&C of the car rental company in terms of where you can drive the car to.

As far as crossing borders, the only experience I've had is renting a car in NYC, driving it to Ontario, and back to NYC. Didn't get any questions about the car after I told them that I'm a full time student in NYC.
msp3 likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 7:15 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by msp3

Should be fine. Up until a few years ago, CBSA did not allow Canadian residents to drive a US-plated car into Canada. A few years ago, that restriction was lifted, and to our knowledge, they don't care about it anymore.

When you read those conflicting reports, check the dates on the articles/posts--anything before about 2012 would be discussing the old rules.

Here's an article mentioning the change: http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...-s-rental-cars
msp3 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.