Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Alaska
Sign in using an external account

Old Aug 16, 07, 12:40 pm   #1

Programs: DM/2MM
Alyeska Skiing

I'm considering visiting Alaska in mid to late March, and wanted to get some skiing in at Alyeska. What snow conditions should I expect, and what would the temps be at the ski area? I've been skied in many places in the U.S., and wanted to know if it'd be too cold, would the snow be powdery, slushy or icy (not a big fan of Vermont skiing for that reason), etc. If it makes any difference, I'm an intermediate to advanced skier, but prefer smooth runs, e.g. not moguls.

I've been to Alaska before, and I'd probably be staying in Anchorage making day trips to the ski area.

Any information would be appreciated.
TrojanTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 07, 12:07 am   #2

Programs: ASMVPG,HHG,SPGG
You might want to look up their website.
But its typical spring skiing,freezing up overnight,slushing up as the heat and sun rise.Temp.30's the groomed runs hold up best and they do a good job grooming.(which sounds like you)
The thing to remember about Alyeska is the base elevation is 80'and the summit is less then 4000'.
Oh by the way we just had the most fantastic powder year I've ever seen and I've been skiing this mountain since 1959.I'm talking champagne powder I could've dreamed iI was in Utah.
Akdude

Last edited by akdude; Aug 17, 07 at 12:07 am. Reason: spelling
akdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 07, 6:25 am   #3

Programs: DM/2MM
Thanks Akdude. I did check the website, but I've found that they're not always accurate, and it's better to get advice from people who have actually been somewhere.

I heard about the great powder this year, which is why I've been considering heading up. Going to Telluride for a week, and wanted to try something different.
TrojanTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 07, 9:29 am   #4

Gee imagine that a website fibbing!!!!!!!!!!
By the way we do get some powder every year,I think the average is a couple of weeks.
I live in the town Alyeska is located(Girdwood)so send me a PM when your closer to flying and I'll tell you what's up.
Later akdude
Old Aug 17, 07, 12:40 pm   #5

Programs: US Chairmans, AS MVPG, SPG Plat, IC AMB, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*, Sixt Plat
I was at Alyeska last March, but I didn't ski. I wish I did more research before I went because I would have skiied. The conditions looked great!!

Pics... http://geoffreypalcher.com/alaska1c.htm (All the pictures on this page were taken at the ski resort. (BTW, When I was there I think the highest the temp got was 20, maybe 25)
Old Aug 17, 07, 5:52 pm   #6

Great pics!!Looks like you had to suffer great weather your whole trip.Bummer!!