Wiki Posts
Search

Weird contrails above Anchorage

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2016, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Weird contrails above Anchorage

Many times when I look up over the Chugach range, I can see Tpac flights heading from Asia to the Lower 48. Did this plane decide to turn around? Is it even from a commercial flight? I'm a little perplexed. Edit: I took this photo around 2:15pm today.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 6:22 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Chemtrails. Definitely chemtrails.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
probably an en route hold for separation, or for the crew to try to resolve a caution/warning indicator before continuing
Old Dec 20, 2016, 11:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Military?
Old Dec 21, 2016, 7:42 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Maybe the Bogoslov volcano eruption out on the chain? Waiting to see which way the ash cloud is blowing?
Old Dec 21, 2016, 1:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
Maybe the Bogoslov volcano eruption out on the chain? Waiting to see which way the ash cloud is blowing?
Sounds like a reasonable explanation.

Heard @ it on the news, thankfully it sounded like it was a short eruption this time.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by beckoa
Sounds like a reasonable explanation.

Heard @ it on the news, thankfully it sounded like it was a short eruption this time.
I thought so too until I talked to someone else who mentioned they saw the jet make the turns. The person said it looked to be a commercial or cargo plane, not military.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 3:38 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
I thought so too until I talked to someone else who mentioned they saw the jet make the turns. The person said it looked to be a commercial or cargo plane, not military.
If a plane was waiting to see which way the ash plume was headed, they'd probably do a typical holding pattern above ANC until they were certain they'd be able to continue on course without a reroute that would require more fuel. If the detour was too long, they'd have to land at ANC to gas up. Suitable diversion airports (e.g. CDB) are not thick on the ground after ANC if you're heading to Asia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.