Search

Alaska to Europe as cheap as possible

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2016, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Miles and More
Alaska to Europe as cheap as possible

Hello!

I'm not sure if my question fits here right, as it's not about Alaska itself but rather how to get out of it. Here is my situation and question:

I will be finishing my cycling trip this December in Alaska and I guess it's slowly time to get tickets for back home to Europe. My final destination in Alaska is either Fairbanks or Anchorage (probably Fairbanks) and my home town is Berlin (Germany). Berlin is not a hub, so the last leg doesn't really matters. What matters is how to get as cheap as possible from Alaska to Europe. Any European hub would do. There are couple of quirks though:
1. we have 2 bicycles to transport
2. we have a pet dog
3. we have oversized extra luggage

So, all there quirks add more costs to the ticket price and I'm looking for the cheapest possible option with there quirks included. Any tips which hub cities to try? As it's not important to end up in Berlin, the possibilities are huge (Alaska - mainalnd USA - Europe or Alaska - Europe) and I'm lost at where to even start. Any suggestions?
Old Sep 16, 2016, 11:04 am

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, Hyatt - Platinum
Icelandair out of Anchorage?
Old Sep 17, 2016, 2:38 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Wow, I am not sure what is the best with those restrictions. But I do hope you realize that ending your cycling in Anchorage or Fairbanks in December means you will be facing winter conditions. Fairbanks can easily get to -50F or even as low as -80F in December. It won't be quite as cold in Anchorage. I hope you have fat tire bicycles or bicycles that are designed for snow conditions.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 8:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP gold
I don't think there are any direct flights to European destinations during the winter months. Your best bet is a direct flight from Anchorage or Fairbanks to another hub (Seattle, San Fran, LAX). Not sure which TATL airlines allow pets but the cheapest (Icelandair and Norwegian) don't seem to allow them in cabin.

I would guess LAX would give you the biggest variety of options for the flights to Europe and there's direct flights to LAX from Anchorage.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 11:20 pm

I don't have much advice other than to do lots of searching with a good booking tool, I like the ITA Matrix. As you probably know, the baggage fees might be very high.

I am curious to learn more about a cycling trip to Alaska in December.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 12:13 am

And a VERY quick look at the requirements for taking a pet to europe suggest to me you should start organising that NOW! There is a significant amount of paperwork it seems.

And as one website says.... "The best airline for YOU may not be the best airline for your pet"

Add to that 2 bikes and (other?) oversized extra baggge.... i suspect "cheap" is going to be difficult to achieve... sorry.

LH for instance WILL allow small cats or dogs (less than 8 kilos including "kennel" with size restrictions) in the cabin... for a fee of USD$100 on long haul flights..

Is this ONE WAY travel? That again could bump the cost (although a cheap return ticket can always be.. ahem... abandoned half way)

ANC-BER on (say) 21 December ("return" mid Jan) is USD$1600-1700 on DL and LH...
From LAX more like USD$1000....$957 on Air Berlin to TXL via DUS...interesting given LAX to DUS is nearly $200 more on the same flight....lol

Euro 100 charge for pet/carrier in cabin (under 10 kilos)
In the hold 150-250 Euro depending on size.

Bikes...175 Euro

Excess baggage... 2nd to 5th bag up to 23kg... 150 Euro each...

You really need to check those charges out...they add up! Jeez!!!

EDIT... there are actually ONE WAY fares on both Norwegian and Turkish Airlines for under USD$600... surprising to me..

No idea of their pet/baggage policies....

Last edited by trooper; Sep 18, 2016 at 12:41 am
Old Sep 18, 2016, 12:37 am

Probably cheaper to split it up in two. Sometimes you can get deals from Alaska for a few hundred USD to the West Coast, then you can find a cheap ticket to Europe from there.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 6:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Probably cheaper to split it up in two. Sometimes you can get deals from Alaska for a few hundred USD to the West Coast, then you can find a cheap ticket to Europe from there.
But then you compound your luggage fees.

No nonstop service in the winter to Europe either (at least for pax).

Perhaps shipping the bikes back would be feasible? Not at all sure about costs.

Wish I could help- but I'm heading ANC-TXL a few months too early.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 6:17 pm

Biking....to Fairbanks...in December...and you can't afford anything but low budget getting back to Europe?

How well have you planned this trip up? You do understand that 1. It'll be winter. 2. There's no hotel/hostels/budget accommodations/anything really available around every corner on the way there 3. Being cheap could very well end up costing you thousands?

And I'm just talking about getting to Fairbanks.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 7:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by CBear
Biking....to Fairbanks...in December...and you can't afford anything but low budget getting back to Europe?

How well have you planned this trip up? You do understand that 1. It'll be winter. 2. There's no hotel/hostels/budget accommodations/anything really available around every corner on the way there 3. Being cheap could very well end up costing you thousands?

And I'm just talking about getting to Fairbanks.
Perhaps they are camping?

Yes, people do camp in winter. Outside. Even in winter
Old Nov 6, 2016, 1:43 pm

Yeah, that's a pretty tall order. Good luck in finding what you need!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.