2 Hours on Ground in JNU

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2016, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
2 Hours on Ground in JNU

Dear all,

I am flying into JNU this weekend and have two hours on the ground. Does that give time for a quick jaunt into town? No bags to check. TSA pre.

A fun side-story. 10 years ago (post 9-11), my father and I flew AS out to Adak Island and back. We had 40 minutes between arrival and departure.

As we got off the plane, a women introduced herself as the AS station manager. "You must be ZRS70" she said.

"How did you know?" I asked.

"Who else would you be?" she smiled.

She handed us her car keys and told us to drive around the island.

"What if we miss the flight?" I asked.

"I won't let that happen!"

It was a great little adventure we had!
Old Jun 20, 2016, 5:11 pm

It'll take about 15 minutes on the road each way from the airport to downtown. Depending on the time of day, the airport can get busy- early morning and mid-day are the worst. What flight are you leaving on?

You could also get out to the Mendenhall Glacier in the same amount of time.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 6:00 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
And there is a major construction project in progress on the road into town. It could be a problem depending on the weather (they won't pave in the rain).

The weather forecast for Saturday looks like rain so you may be able to not have to worry about this.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 12:10 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
I would not go into the city but take a taxi to Mendenhall Glacier. Worth an hour of your time (or less). Might be able to walk to Nugget Falls and back in that time (usually about 45 minutes). It is only maybe 5 miles max from the airport to the glacier area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.