Reload this Page >

ANC for 12 hours

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ANC for 12 hours

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:12 am

I'd drive down the Turnagain arm and spend some time in Girdwood hiking or take the tram up to the top of the mountain. Alternatively you could also head down to Whittier and go kayaking or take a Portage Glacier cruise on the way. All of those would give you an enjoyable taste of Alaska. You could also head east from Anchorage and go visit the Matanuska glacier.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I would second that Turnagain Arm gives the most scenery in the closest range...with the Glenn Highway you've got more distance over and back.

Restaurant-wise I'm still very partial to the Paris steakhouse on 5th Street downtown. They basically OWN the best-of, year after year, despite some other places and even some chains being around. The ground filet mignon burger on a French roll at lunch is a must-try (and they have good clam chowder), and for dinner they have an outstanding grilled filet (a found flash-seared, IIRC), plus other stuff. Very popular with locals, and one of few places still in operation that pre-dates the 1964 earthquake.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
I'd drive down the Turnagain arm and spend some time in Girdwood hiking or take the tram up to the top of the mountain
+1 and dine at the restaurant at the top.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott LTP
Thank you all. Did some initial checking on your suggestions (Turnagain Arm, Girdwood, Portage Glacier cruise). Seems exactly like what I'm looking for. Going in August so I'll report back.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott LTP
Just wanted to say thanks again to those who suggested the Turnagain Arm run.
Got back last night. I had a picture perfect day, sunny mid-70's and your suggestions were right on for what I was looking to do.
Did the Portage Glacier boat ride where even the crew was commenting we were lucky to have such a nice day. Also did the tram to Alyeska and had a couple of cold beers and a sandwich at the top. Scenery the whole day was spectacular (sunshine helps that too).
Stopped at Bird Creek and watched maybe 100 people fish. It was like shooting fish in a barrel. They were getting bites almost as soon as the hook went into the water. Most were throwing them back but every so often someone would keep one.
Anyway Thanks again
Old Sep 5, 2018, 10:30 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
My wife and I are arriving ANC 0630 after a redeye, We are staying for about 30 hours. We do not want to rent a car after being sleep deprived. Staying near the UA Campus.

Any advice about best things to do in Anchorage for a day? We don't want to commit the whole day to a glacier cruise, although under other circumstances, it would be a top-shelf choice for us.

Many thanks!
Old Sep 6, 2018, 7:42 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by 747FC
My wife and I are arriving ANC 0630 after a redeye, We are staying for about 30 hours. We do not want to rent a car after being sleep deprived. Staying near the UA Campus.

Any advice about best things to do in Anchorage for a day? We don't want to commit the whole day to a glacier cruise, although under other circumstances, it would be a top-shelf choice for us.

Many thanks!
When will this be?
Old Sep 6, 2018, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Gardyloo
When will this be?
Next week. Thanks.

Old Sep 29, 2018, 6:44 pm

Had our brief stay in ANC, and just used it to walk around.

One thing I can highly recommend in ANC is to visit a restaurant which we stumbled upon: Crush. All the food we got there was fantastic, as was the service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.