Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Alaska
Reload this Page >

Anyone have experience with Alaska photography during the spring?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2016, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Hello and good day to the forum. I'll be in AK March 15-March 26 and goal is to do a ton of photography... done it during June and August but that's easy... almost anyone can then... any suggestions or tips or input on if it'll vary a whole lot in the spring as opposed to the summer?
Old Jan 14, 2016, 2:10 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by Ohiofiveoh
Hello and good day to the forum. I'll be in AK March 15-March 26 and goal is to do a ton of photography... done it during June and August but that's easy... almost anyone can then... any suggestions or tips or input on if it'll vary a whole lot in the spring as opposed to the summer?
Where in Alaska? Spring? Sorry that time frame will still be very much winter.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Basically to two places, Kenai Peninsula and where the weather is the most advantageous to shooting. Im basically going where it's best at in spite of it being winter still.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 10:05 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Welcome to FT!

Unfortunately some years it's neither winter nor spring, it's the worst time of all, breakup. Cloudy and wet above, mud and potholes below. Flights from ANC to Hawaii and California are jammed.

Is that the only time you can come? A couple of weeks earlier and you could attend Fur Rondy in Anchorage, a fun time with carnivals, contests, dogsled racing downtown...
Old Jan 14, 2016, 10:10 am
Original Poster

This year that's the only time unfortunately, comes a few weeks before a deployment

I meant to say hiking not shooting in my above post
Old Jan 14, 2016, 8:09 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
I would stay south of Anchorage. So far it has been a mild winter in that area so maybe there will be some snow-less trails. I know there are a few trails along Turnagain Arm and even from near Hope on the other side of the water that tend to be snow-free earlier. But March is really early so if it is snow-free, it will probably be muddy.

You might consider a gray whale watch tour from Seward. You will probably have some great photo ops of marine wildlife on that tour.

You could also be looking out near the airport - Kincaid Park or further past Earthquake Park - for moose sightings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.