Search

Internet Access in Barrow?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2015, 12:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors, Executive Club, SPG, Flying Blue, Priority Club
Internet Access in Barrow?

Hi All,

Ill be working on a project in Barrow in September which is internet dependent, and hoped the group knowledge could help me out...

What is the internet speed like in Barrow and is it widely available?

Is there a particular hotel or coffee shop where the connection is best or is wireless better (4G?).

Thanks alot.

S
Old Aug 20, 2015, 10:01 am

There is pretty fast internet available in Barrow (T1 line), as cyber-infrastructure was built to support the science projects that NSF, NOAA, DOE, etc. fund there. However these routers are not free or public. The several hotels have internet though for their guests. You can also use the free public wi-fi in the library, which is next to the Heritage Center, and across the street from the supermarket. It seemed to be pretty fast when I used it there. There is also supposedly free wi-fi in the Alaska Airlines terminal, but it doesn't seem to work IME.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 7:19 am

Addendum: There is a nice article in the Alaska Dispatch News about the Barrow Library including internet access and other resources available: http://www.adn.com/article/20160221/...rary-top-world

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.