Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Way to Redeem Chase Points for Flight to Alaska [June 2016]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2015, 10:53 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
This is your business and your money, of course, but a quick check on ITA shows that one way from LAX to FAI in early June is $135 on Delta, $191 from SAN.

Many of us assign an arbitrary value to our miles as a way of seeing if the exchange is financially worthwhile; in my case I use 2c per mile. Others use 1.5c or even less, but the idea is that redeeming miles for less value than that is unwise. So for a ticket that "costs" 20,000 miles, if the cash price of that ticket is under $400 (20,000 x .02) or $300 in the case of 1.5c, then it's smarter to conserve the miles if at all possible. For example, a 100,000 mile round trip business class redemption to Europe at 2c per mile = $2,000, while actually buying a ticket would be closer to $3,000 or even more, giving a "value" of 3c per mile or more. Most people who play the mileage game will tell you that redeeming miles for domestic coach tickets is usually not the best idea.

Of course there has to be availability of award seats for this metric to work at all, and you may find that getting to Fairbanks in peak tourist season for a big party is pretty hard as it is. Getting 4 award seats on two or more back-to-back flights is a tall order, and if you have to connect in SEA during cruise season, even taller - SEA is VERY hard to get award seats in and out during the summer because of cruise passengers.

So paying a pretty cheap cash price for the convenience of quick flights with easy connections might be preferable than paying out a LOT of miles and then having to deal with long or roundabout connections. Your call.
Excellent advice. People get so excited that they have points but in many cases using the points is not the best value. I would follow your advice.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

This is your business and your money, of course, but a quick check on ITA shows that one way from LAX to FAI in early June is $135 on Delta, $191 from SAN.
Thanks, Gardyloo. The biggest issue is that with a one-year old and a two-year old I do not want to get in after midnight, then have to get to a hotel, check-in, and try to get everyone situated to sleep at 2:00 or 3:00 AM. For the flights that arrive at a decent time and don't have huge layovers the starting price is around $292 per person.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 1:27 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by KentyMac
Thanks, Gardyloo. The biggest issue is that with a one-year old and a two-year old I do not want to get in after midnight, then have to get to a hotel, check-in, and try to get everyone situated to sleep at 2:00 or 3:00 AM. For the flights that arrive at a decent time and don't have huge layovers the starting price is around $292 per person.
I totally get it, however the reason those flights are expensive is that they're popular and convenient, which means that it's highly unlikely they're going to be available for award bookings.

One note also to consider, which you probably know already - it will be daylight in Fairbanks in June whether you arrive at 10:45 PM or 1 AM. It doesn't get dark at all.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 3:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
One note also to consider, which you probably know already - it will be daylight in Fairbanks in June whether you arrive at 10:45 PM or 1 AM. It doesn't get dark at all.
This is very true- everyone will be off for sleep due to this it seems when people visit. And redeyes are very common to/from Alaska- its the only way to get to many places in the US at a reasonable hour.

As this topic is specific to Alaska (the state), we'll move the discussion to that forum for more specific discussion.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Jul 26, 2015, 7:26 pm

Another option

Another option would be to fly into Anchorage and drive to Fairbanks. Anchorage has a lot more carriers and see much bigger discounts than Fairbanks. It's a 6 hour drive, so you would only need the rental car one day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.