Aurora in late March

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aurora in late March

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2014, 2:23 pm

Programs: AS MVP
My wife and I went to FAI last March, and for aurora viewing, I highly recommend Skiland. It's a ski hill a little way out of FAI, and while they charge $25/person/night, it's really nice to be inside where it's warm, sipping on a hot beverage, while looking out at the aurora through a picture window. We went back-to-back nights and had incredible viewing. We had the old lodge to ourselves one night last year and it was awesome (the new lodge is more popular and better insulated, but doesn't give you as good of a view). Since it's out of town, you don't have to worry about the lights of the city interfering with your viewing. We had tried watching from our car out on the Steese highway, but had to return to town when nature called. Going to the lodge gave us a chance to stay out viewing longer since they have toilets on-site.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by arineumann
My wife and I went to FAI last March, and for aurora viewing, I highly recommend Skiland. It's a ski hill a little way out of FAI, and while they charge $25/person/night, it's really nice to be inside where it's warm, sipping on a hot beverage, while looking out at the aurora through a picture window. We went back-to-back nights and had incredible viewing. We had the old lodge to ourselves one night last year and it was awesome (the new lodge is more popular and better insulated, but doesn't give you as good of a view). Since it's out of town, you don't have to worry about the lights of the city interfering with your viewing. We had tried watching from our car out on the Steese highway, but had to return to town when nature called. Going to the lodge gave us a chance to stay out viewing longer since they have toilets on-site.
Thanks for the information. We'll probably stick around the B&B on our first night in FAI and the second night we have the trip to the Arctic Circle. If we don't have good viewings on this trip we'll definitely keep it in mind for a retry next winter.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by ASflyer
Hi. Sorry for wandering off. The best viewing from ANC it's seats A-C and seats D-F from FAI. Have a great trip!
We're all in A from ANC and in F from FAI.

AS2807 on 3/20 and AS56 on 3/22
Old Mar 26, 2014, 5:31 am
Original Poster

Returned last night. Had a great trip. 2 Aurora's (early and late one night) from Dale & Jo's. Lots of fun. We again found the people we met to be the highlight of our trip and we've started planning our next AK trip. Our friends can't wait to go back.

I'll get a trip report posted within the next week or so

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.