Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Alaska
Reload this Page >

Thinking of visiting the Aleutians...

Old Jul 13, 2010, 7:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?

I'm a bit of a fan of small, remote islands, and my attention has just been drawn to the existence of the Aleutians (in that I know they existed, but I never really thought it would be possible to go visit them, and I've just realised that of course it is!).

Just wondered if any of you had been there, and what would be your thoughts about going there on a holiday? I am into wildlife and birding so was thinking that would need to be my main amusement, but I may be underestimating the islands and their attractions!

Is there a tourist industry in the Aleutians, or would people look at me like I was from another planet?
Old Jul 13, 2010, 12:36 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by Jenbel
I'm a bit of a fan of small, remote islands, and my attention has just been drawn to the existence of the Aleutians (in that I know they existed, but I never really thought it would be possible to go visit them, and I've just realised that of course it is!).

Just wondered if any of you had been there, and what would be your thoughts about going there on a holiday? I am into wildlife and birding so was thinking that would need to be my main amusement, but I may be underestimating the islands and their attractions!

Is there a tourist industry in the Aleutians, or would people look at me like I was from another planet?
I spent a lot of time working in the Aleutians (the term is also inclusive of the Alaska Peninsula and a couple of other island groups, notably the Shumagin and Pribilof Islands.)

There's a small tourist industry, focused not surprisingly on wildlife and birding, but there's also a wealth of history and cultural interest on offer too, owing to the pre-Russian and Russian periods in the region. The islands and Peninsula are IMO some of the most remarkable destinations in the world, and well worth the effort required, which can be substantial.

Facilities are fairly basic, transportation is often quite difficult and can be expensive.

For tourists, the main destinations are Unalaska (aka Dutch Harbor) in the Aleutians (aka "The Chain") and St. Paul Island in the Pribilofs. Unalaska offers a combination of marvelous scenery, very interesting history (pre-Russian, Russian, and WW II military periods) as well as hiking, fishing, birding and other nature pursuits; St. Paul (and even better, the neighboring island of St. George - but hard to get to) is a birder's paradise, and also the site of some of the largest seal colonies in the world (but there's some controversy about the management of the herds which includes some culling.) The Pribilofs were unpopulated until the Russians moved some Aleut natives from the chain up there to harvest seals in the 1800s, more or less as slaves; but the Pribilofs arguably show a more "traditional" Native culture than you'll see in the larger Chain communities, where a hundred years of military and commercial fishing activities have led to more ethnic mixing.

One option to consider for the fairly intrepid and seaworthy tourist is to take the Alaska State Ferry out the chain; it runs several times a year, and will allow you to visit some of the smaller communities en route to Unalaska; you could then fly back (note that air service to/from DUT is by PenAir, but using AS codes, so eligible for BA mileage redemptions) or vice-versa. The Pribilofs are also served by PenAir but not using AS codes.

Summer is the best time; in winter prices go way up because that's when crab season occurs; also in winter the weather can be fierce and one can get stuck for days without plane service. (Which is not to say the weather is all that great in the summer - think Western Isles with lots more wind and rain.

Maybe you can access a popular "reality" TV series called Deadliest Catch which follows some fisherfolk who work in the Bering - you can see (often overly melodramatic) scenes of the region's economy and some sights in those shows.

Some older pix of mine from Unalaska - things haven't changed that much:

Church of the Holy Ascension and Priest's house (subsequently restored)

Orthodox graveyard

WW II huts from graveyard

Meant to add... some AA pax on a DFW-NRT flight yesterday made an unexpected stop in the Aleutians - when the fire warning light in the cargo bay lit up, they diverted to Shemya Island (way the hell out in the western Aleutians) as it has a long runway left over from Cold War days. They flew back to ANC for a replacement 777; however apparently their bags are still at SYA. Bags lost on the chain - now that's a new one.

Last edited by Gardyloo; Jul 13, 2010 at 12:43 pm
Old Jul 13, 2010, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Do you know, it was reading that thread in AA which made me make the connection

Thanks very much gardyloo - I'm afraid that's just whetted my appetite. I'd found the service to Adak, but not to Unalaska...

Off to start reading...
Old Jul 13, 2010, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
It is indeed expensive to get out there. Data point: I've lived in ANC for 15 years and have never been out there. Whether by plane or ferry, it's a minimum of $600rt to get there from here.

Actually, it's almost easier and more economical for people from outside of Alaska to visit the Aleutians than those of us here--at least if you're booking with miles, since you can usually fly to ADK or DUT with a stopover in ANC for the same number of miles as just a trip to ANC.

Some remote places on the Chain or other island groups are not served by scheduled aircraft (PenAir, Alaska, etc.) and require air taxis or the like. It gets even more expensive, but some people who are super serious into birding and wildlife will pay the equivalent of a small trust fund to get to these places to get a glimpse of a single specimen.

As I recall, missydarlin spent some time in Adak...

Also, you'll be posting your schedule in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...up-thread.html, right? If you've got the time, don't go straight out to the Aleutians and back home--if you can swing a stopover in ANC, there's tons to see and do on the mainland of Alaska!
Old Jul 13, 2010, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

If it happens, then of course I would! It would seem pretty stupid to skip spending time in Alaska as well - not like I'm going to have the opportunity to get there too often

I'd already noticed the cost... tickets for next summer are pricing at Ł2500 from the UK Suddenly the Caribbean - where you can get J for half that - seems much more enticing. I need to get my miles working for me, and BA is never good at booking partners to places they don't fly too... there's a thread somewhere about what I need to do to make the engine work, but I'll have a look for it later.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 4:33 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Dutch Harbor/Unalaska is a very cool place. It's remote, but it also has the conveniences of a small town (grocery store, hotel(s) etc.) It's probably the easiest to get to if you want to get away from the mainland a bit.

I haven't been to Adak, but it's also "easy" to get to in that it is served by Alaska. But only twice a week. If you do end up going, and especially if you are connecting on to an air taxi flight, plan extra time due to weather.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 6:06 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Originally Posted by jackal
It is indeed expensive to get out there. Data point: I've lived in ANC for 15 years and have never been out there. Whether by plane or ferry, it's a minimum of $600rt to get there from here.

Actually, it's almost easier and more economical for people from outside of Alaska to visit the Aleutians than those of us here--at least if you're booking with miles, since you can usually fly to ADK or DUT with a stopover in ANC for the same number of miles as just a trip to ANC.
This is quite apropos for the OP. For example, right now (through the next few days) AS is having a 30% bonus offer on purchased miles. For $550 (say GBP365) one can buy 26,000 miles from AS, good for a routing of, e.g., SEA/SFO/LAX//MIA/EWR/ORD... - ANC-DUT-xANC-SEA/MIA/EWR... etc. (in Y, which of course is all that's offered out the chain.) AS permits a stopover in SEA or ANC (or both? Don't remember) on any award redeemed to Alaska from any point in the lower 48. This is one of the rare occasions where buying miles is cost-effective.

AS' mileage plan is used widely as a "second" FFP for many people who principally use AA, BA or DL FFPs, since AS allows earn/burn on a wide variety of partners including the aforementioned AA, BA and DL, but also AF, KL, QF, LA, FJ and others.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
This is quite apropos for the OP. For example, right now (through the next few days) AS is having a 30% bonus offer on purchased miles. For $550 (say GBP365) one can buy 26,000 miles from AS, good for a routing of, e.g., SEA/SFO/LAX//MIA/EWR/ORD... - ANC-DUT-xANC-SEA/MIA/EWR... etc. (in Y, which of course is all that's offered out the chain.) AS permits a stopover in SEA or ANC (or both? Don't remember) on any award redeemed to Alaska from any point in the lower 48. This is one of the rare occasions where buying miles is cost-effective.

AS' mileage plan is used widely as a "second" FFP for many people who principally use AA, BA or DL FFPs, since AS allows earn/burn on a wide variety of partners including the aforementioned AA, BA and DL, but also AF, KL, QF, LA, FJ and others.
And should the OP find that fares to ANC are reasonably decent, she can buy 15,000 miles, which would be good for a round-trip ANC-ADK or ANC-DUT ticket.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 3:19 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, UA 2P
Pribilof Bound

I'm taking my youngest son off for a three day adventure to St Paul Island this Saturday. I'll report back with photos!
Old Aug 6, 2010, 9:04 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by BillScann
I'm taking my youngest son off for a three day adventure to St Paul Island this Saturday. I'll report back with photos!
Please also tell us how you are getting there and back (best routing, etc).

Have fun!
Old Aug 6, 2010, 1:56 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by fti
Please also tell us how you are getting there and back (best routing, etc).

Have fun!
From Anchorage, probably on the Penair flight, it's either non-stop or one-stop at St. George. It's only 15k miles using Alaska miles, or very expensive using cash. I'm not aware of any other scheduled service.

I've been wanting to get out there, but won't get a chance this summer. I would like to hear where you are staying and the cost as well. I thought about camping, but the winds and weather would most likely make that unpleasant. The only hotel I know of, if it exists, is the King Eider Hotel.

Last edited by alphaeagle; Aug 6, 2010 at 2:02 pm
Old Aug 6, 2010, 4:12 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Originally Posted by alphaeagle
The only hotel I know of, if it exists, is the King Eider Hotel.
Apparently the St. George Tanaq Corporation now runs the former NMFS "guest house" as a hotel. It's a funky but comfortable old building close to the (beautiful) Russian church. AFAIK it's still a cook-your-own-food sort of place, but you won't starve. Presumably somebody from Tanaq would assist with transportation to seal/bird rookeries and all that. Great destination.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 5:07 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Pribilofs are definitely on my radar for 2012. My photographer friend had mentioned it to me last year, which started my interest. Now it is just coordinating the entire trip.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 2:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Time for the Aleutian Islands Do

Its been talked about for a bit... and almost happened... but alas we didn't pull the trigger...

Sometime I'll have to visit the Pribilofs though as I have friends who grew up there... and if I visit with them I might not have to use a tent.

And there's something enticing about flying as far West as possible from ANC on AS
Old Aug 7, 2010, 12:14 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beckoa
Time for the Aleutian Islands Do

Its been talked about for a bit... and almost happened... but alas we didn't pull the trigger...
My problem is that I tend to book my travel to Alaska using miles and book 10-11 months in advance. So it can be hard to work around DO's when others aren't as fanatical in their planning as I am . I will be leaving Anchorage the day the fun starts on Aug 27th. But nothing I can do about it, unless the DO is moved to Kodiak for the weekend

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.