FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Re-enroll to earn Safeway Miles? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/914778-re-enroll-earn-safeway-miles.html)

BLI-Flyer Jan 26, 2009 4:17 pm

Re-enroll to earn Safeway Miles?

There's a discussion on the UA Board about people having to re-enroll their Safeway cards to continue earning miles.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...genuardis.html

I credit my Safeway miles to AS and haven't received any re-enrollment notification. Has anyone crediting their Safeway miles to AS received this notification?

beckoa Jan 26, 2009 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by BLI-Flyer (Post 11146573)
There's a discussion on the UA Board about people having to re-enroll their Safeway cards to continue earning miles.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...genuardis.html

I credit my Safeway miles to AS and haven't received any re-enrollment notification. Has anyone crediting their Safeway miles to AS received this notification?

Weird... hope this weird thing is UA specific... I like it as is... (Although earning more miles per $ spent there would be nice :p)

ANC Jan 26, 2009 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 11146915)
Weird... hope this weird thing is UA specific... I like it as is... (Although earning more miles per $ spent there would be nice :p)

very weird! Who sent the email to the OP? Didnt say whether it was UA or Safeway! Why would UA re enroll you automatically for something and would they even be allowed to do such a thing. It couldnt be Safeway because how would they know if you are an elite flyer. The whole thing is odd to me

Eastbay1K Jan 26, 2009 9:44 pm

The UA link to Safeway only required the phone # or Safeway card #, not the MP #.

wsucougarchick05 Jan 26, 2009 9:47 pm

I got an email from UA...even though I switched my Grocery Miles to AS about a year ago.

RodeoLinebacker Jan 26, 2009 9:52 pm

I got the same e-mail today, except that because I have Premier on UA, they said they would automatically renew my account. I hope not because I've already switched it to earn miles on AS...

Jeeves Jan 26, 2009 9:53 pm

My recent Safeway receipts keep showing the usual "you have earned $82 towards your next Alaska Airlines award".

I wouldn't worry too much about it. We are only earning 125 miles for every $250 spent. It's not a lot of miles. If there is a trip up, it can be corrected quickly.

ANC Jan 26, 2009 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by Jeeves (Post 11148255)
My recent Safeway receipts keep showing the usual "you have earned $82 towards your next Alaska Airlines award".

I wouldn't worry too much about it. We are only earning 125 miles for every $250 spent. It's not a lot of miles. If there is a trip up, it can be corrected quickly.

between the miles and the way you can stack the fuel awards they now get 95+% of my grocery business as well as anything else I can get there that qualifies. I used to go to Freds and Safeway about 50/50 before the new and improved fuel rewards started. Im pretty frugal with mile gathering but its not really on my mind when getting groceries. Safeway is less crowded and open anytime. Freds is crowded and things are in no particular rhyme or reason to their layout

COpltASgldPHX Jan 26, 2009 10:08 pm

Saw this on Safeway.com.

Renew Today
To continue earning airline miles on qualifying grocery purchases, enter the
information below for the club card enrolled in the airline mileage program.
Be sure to renew before 2/28/09. It's FREE!
I found that page by going to the Safeway homepage and doing a search for "miles." "Airline Miles Renewal" was the first option displayed. Not sure if it's mandatory, but when I entered my name and club card number I received the following message:

Thank you!
You will continue to earn airline miles when you shop.

ANC Jan 26, 2009 10:11 pm

well I filled out the thing just in case

Seat 7D Jan 27, 2009 1:00 am

Originally Posted by ANC (Post 11148310)
between the miles and the way you can stack the fuel awards they now get 95+% of my grocery business as well as anything else I can get there that qualifies. I used to go to Freds and Safeway about 50/50 before the new and improved fuel rewards started. Im pretty frugal with mile gathering but its not really on my mind when getting groceries. Safeway is less crowded and open anytime. Freds is crowded and things are in no particular rhyme or reason to their layout

I echo this. I have an Albertsons, QFC, Safeway, and Freds within walking distance, but I shop almost exclusively at Safeway. The miles and fuel bonuses are a factor, but I also appreciate the service. I like that most newer Safeways are laid out the same.

Jeeves Jan 27, 2009 8:32 am

I mostly shop at Safeway because their prices are very good and they seem to have the shortest check-out lines. There is one on my way home from work. I usually have to stop and pick up a few items nearly everyday. The fuel bonus and miles are the icing on the cake. I've also received some free sandwiches with their sandwich club and even won a Weber grill in a sweepstakes.

Some of our other markets get my business because they have better meats, produce and deli items.

beckoa Jan 27, 2009 9:12 am

Werid... Safeway in ANC always seem to have the highest prices and poorest service IME... Produce selection is overpriced and poor, and most everything is more then the other guys... Sure I do shop there for their sale items... but other then that... I typically go elsewhere...

King_of_Kurtopia Jan 27, 2009 2:46 pm

I wonder why Safeway doesn't give AS miles in Oregon?

Kurt

davew-krdm Jan 27, 2009 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by King_of_Kurtopia (Post 11152811)
I wonder why Safeway doesn't give AS miles in Oregon?

Kurt

They do, and have for about the past 3 years.

Dave