Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

YAPTA just got me $37 in AS travel credit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2008, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite

http://www.yapta.com/

Prices dropped on SEA-LAS in January. Ch-ching!

(And yes, you can even do this on non-refundable fares.)
Old Nov 3, 2008, 11:15 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, UA zilch, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Presidents
... but doesn't this only work if you're a gold and can change a PNR w/out change fees?
Old Nov 3, 2008, 11:21 am

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum AS MVP HHonors Diamond SPG Gold
Originally Posted by brarrr
... but doesn't this only work if you're a gold and can change a PNR w/out change fees?
No. If the fare drops and your ticket qualifies for the new fare AS will give you a travel credit for the difference and waive the fee.

The only time they will charge the change fee is if you want an actual refund for the difference but fares rarely drop that much.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yup, what COpltASgldPHX said. WN operates the same way (though you can't track them on YAPTA, unfortunately).
Old Nov 3, 2008, 12:42 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, UA zilch, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Presidents
yikes, don't know why i didn't know this before... i've had fares drop and figured that i'd be charged a change fee. next up - getting $10 for a flight in december

fyi yapta treats an upgraded ticket as if it is a full first class ticket vs what it was booked into, so it spit out that i got a grrrreat deal on my $100 sea-den flight
Old Nov 3, 2008, 3:16 pm

and got the $10 back no problem - or so i'm told. does not show up in my "wallet" nor have i received an email other than the updated reservation. where does it show up for you?
Old Nov 3, 2008, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

When I called the MVP line, I was told it gets issued in a few days as a credit- they will email the information to you (and that's what I got).
Old Nov 3, 2008, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
When I called the MVP line, I was told it gets issued in a few days as a credit- they will email the information to you (and that's what I got).
thanks...

if i get the opportunity, i owe you a beer for this one (and others in the future)
Old Nov 3, 2008, 4:51 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by COpltASgldPHX
No. If the fare drops and your ticket qualifies for the new fare AS will give you a travel credit for the difference and waive the fee.

The only time they will charge the change fee is if you want an actual refund for the difference but fares rarely drop that much.
But, the kicker is that you can only redeem the fare drop vouchers via phone -- and you incur a phone booking fee.

I remember being told that fee even applies to Golds, though pretty sure I did not pay it when I redeemed one earlier this year.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 4:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
But, the kicker is that you can only redeem the fare drop vouchers via phone -- and you incur a phone booking fee.

I remember being told that fee even applies to Golds, though pretty sure I did not pay it when I redeemed one earlier this year.
That is the 'kicker' of the program... but it should not apply to golds, since it is the 'ticketing fee' that is added for using a phone agent, which golds are exempt from thankfully.

Took advantage of this program last year for $50+
Old Nov 3, 2008, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA

Whoa... that's.... retarded. Well so much for that $10

well, maybe if i'm booking an award ticket by phone like i'm going to have to do anyway, this'll cover something? or is it only good towards actual fare vs taxes/fees?

Last edited by brarrr; Nov 3, 2008 at 5:57 pm
Old Nov 4, 2008, 12:45 am

Programs: AS MVPG, PC Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Remember, you also won't get the 1000 Alaska VISA booking miles on that next reservation if you book it through the call center. I made more many more miles off of that promotion than any other source this year.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 1:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I am hoping that these travel credits are digitized and implemented into the 'my wallet' feature once its all operational ^

That way we can earn our BoA 1K bonus too
Old Nov 4, 2008, 6:57 am

Programs: Alaska, MVPG
I got a $99 credit last year and even with the then $10 ticketing fee over the phone it was a good deal. Yapta does work well, but not all airlines are as nice as Alaska about giving a credit.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 10:48 am

I got my email last night with the credit info and confirmation that it must be booked by phone....

and then this morning saw that the price dropped another $5.... now is it worth doing it again for a credit i'll probably not be able to use... or leave it be.

And the yapta thing did not catch it, I caught it... since it was upgraded it is looking at the price relative to the 1st class fare vs. economy fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.