Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to find out what class fare I have?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2008, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

How to find out what class fare I have?

Is there a way to check my reservation and find out what class my ticket was booked? I want to find out if it's a "Bargain", "Hot Deals", "Value", etc.

Thanks.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by ppcinfo
Is there a way to check my reservation and find out what class my ticket was booked? I want to find out if it's a "Bargain", "Hot Deals", "Value", etc.

Thanks.
I just looked at the original confirmation letter I received from AS when I booked my most recent trip. Under the heading marked ITINERARY, it lists each of my flights, and next to the seat assignment, it has the fare class (in my instance, T class). T translates to Hot Deals.

If it was not booked through the AS website (e.g. through a corporate travel office) or you were not sent the intial confirmation, you may not have this.

If you load up the reservation on the AS website, though, there should be a button to view the fare rules. Unfortunately, the last few times I've tried this, it errored out and wouldn't give me the fare rules. (The title of the fare rule should contain a letter for the fare class.)

Even if you could find the fare class letter, we'd be missing one key component: what that translates to according to the AS website. According to SeatCounter.com, here are the inventory codes AS uses (not entirely sure if these match the fare codes):

G L K T S V Q H U M B Y F

Perhaps someone could post here a list of which codes go to which type of fare sold on alaskaair.com...
Old Mar 1, 2008, 8:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by jackal
Originally Posted by ppcinfo

Thanks.
I just looked at the original confirmation letter I received from AS when I booked my most recent trip. Under the heading marked ITINERARY, it lists each of my flights, and next to the seat assignment, it has the fare class (in my instance, T class). T translates to Hot Deals.

If it was not booked through the AS website (e.g. through a corporate travel office) or you were not sent the intial confirmation, you may not have this.

If you load up the reservation on the AS website, though, there should be a button to view the fare rules. Unfortunately, the last few times I've tried this, it errored out and wouldn't give me the fare rules. (The title of the fare rule should contain a letter for the fare class.)

Even if you could find the fare class letter, we'd be missing one key component: what that translates to according to the AS website. According to SeatCounter.com, here are the inventory codes AS uses (not entirely sure if these match the fare codes):

G L K T S V Q H U M B Y F

Perhaps someone could post here a list of which codes go to which type of fare sold on alaskaair.com...
In the fine print of the Upgrades page, it has the following:

Value and Full flex fare categories are booked in Y, S, B, M, or H classes of service.
As stated by jackal Y is Full flex, and so I assume that H,M,S,B are "Value" fares

Give the agent a call and ask them for the fare class. I think you can "buy up" to an "F" ticket, (paying the difference between your ticket price and F's current price) but am not sure if you can "buy up" to a "Value" or "Full flex" fare from a "Bargain" or "Hot deal"
Old Mar 1, 2008, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa
In the fine print of the As stated by jackal Y is Full flex, and so I assume that H,M,S,B are "Value" fares
Thanks for that info. I'm still confused to what all those letters are. Why are there so many fare letters?
Old Mar 1, 2008, 7:24 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
What does it all mean???

Who knows. But to add to the discussion, I got a ticket on the PFD sale this year, and it was a "K" class fare - definitely falls into the "hot deals" category. So here's what we seem to be able to deduce from the website, jackal's T fare, my PFD special, and some seatcounter.com sleuthing on my relaxing post-Iditarod afternoon:

F - purchased 1st class fare

U - first class upgrade seat (mileage/complimentary status upgrades/coupons)

Y (sometimes called YAS) - Full Flex (automatically upgradeable for MVP's and MVPG's anytime U is available)

S, B > M > H - Value (automatically upgradeable for MVPG's anytime U is available)

Q > L > V > G - Bargain

T - hot deals (jackal's fare)

K - hot deals (my PFD fare)

Several disclaimers/points to bear in mind:
  • Above ordered fare basis codes are essentially guesses based on seatcounter.com and alaskair.com available information
  • Delineation between Bargain and Hot Deals codes may be inaccurate
  • Lower fare basis code availability does not always translate to lower fares being offered on the website: for instance, K or T availability on seatcounter.com does not mean a lower price than a ticket in even V or G unless a special promotion or sale is currently running...I think
  • All of the above is my best guess based on available information...I don't have full knowledge of this stuff.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Thanks for that, ANC RED-EYE! Even if it's not perfect, it helps a lot!
Old Mar 2, 2008, 11:10 am
Original Poster

ANC RED-EYE, thanks for that good info.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 11:17 pm
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
Also, Award tix book into W class, apparently regardless of whether they are Saver or Peak awards
Old Mar 23, 2008, 11:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by stellertony
Also, Award tix book into W class, apparently regardless of whether they are Saver or Peak awards
My experience is the following are booked as such:

Saver Coach = W

Peak Coach = Y

Saver First = A

(And I assume)

Peak First = F
Old Dec 7, 2010, 5:21 am
YLW

Programs: AS AC AA SPG IHG Gold
Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
Who knows. But to add to the discussion, I got a ticket on the PFD sale this year, and it was a "K" class fare - definitely falls into the "hot deals" category. So here's what we seem to be able to deduce from the website, jackal's T fare, my PFD special, and some seatcounter.com sleuthing on my relaxing post-Iditarod afternoon:

F - purchased 1st class fare

U - first class upgrade seat (mileage/complimentary status upgrades/coupons)

Y (sometimes called YAS) - Full Flex (automatically upgradeable for MVP's and MVPG's anytime U is available)

S, B > M > H - Value (automatically upgradeable for MVPG's anytime U is available)

Q > L > V > G - Bargain

T - hot deals (jackal's fare)

K - hot deals (my PFD fare)

Several disclaimers/points to bear in mind:
  • Above ordered fare basis codes are essentially guesses based on seatcounter.com and alaskair.com available information
  • Delineation between Bargain and Hot Deals codes may be inaccurate
  • Lower fare basis code availability does not always translate to lower fares being offered on the website: for instance, K or T availability on seatcounter.com does not mean a lower price than a ticket in even V or G unless a special promotion or sale is currently running...I think
  • All of the above is my best guess based on available information...I don't have full knowledge of this stuff.
Any updates to these codes?

An hour or so ago, this showed on expertflyer, for our SEA-OGG flight tomorrow:
FL UL YL SL BL ML HL QL LL VL KL GL TL

I had previously seen F0 U0 etc., but not "L", which they said was something like 'full, but taking standby reservations'.

Now it's showing F1 and "0" for all other classes.
Looks like a bumpy ride
Old Dec 7, 2010, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by YLW
Any updates to these codes?

An hour or so ago, this showed on expertflyer, for our SEA-OGG flight tomorrow:
FL UL YL SL BL ML HL QL LL VL KL GL TL

I had previously seen F0 U0 etc., but not "L", which they said was something like 'full, but taking standby reservations'.

Now it's showing F1 and "0" for all other classes.
Looks like a bumpy ride
I've never seen the L's before. Oh and the earlier flight is all 0'd out
Old Apr 26, 2015, 12:12 am

class of service bonus based on fare type

I am hoping this might be a natural thread in which to pose this question. I booked a flight as a refundable fare but not First, so it should be Y. However, bc it was eligible for upgrade and I am MVP, I was bumped to first. My fare class now shows as U for the part of the itinerary where I am upgraded, and Y for the rest where I wasn't.

My question is whether I am eligible for the 50% status miles bonus on all fares or just the ones at Y. I think I should be eligible for all 4 legs since I paid the Y fare, but strictly speaking the rules say U class is actual miles only, no bonus.

Any thoughts on this?
Old Apr 26, 2015, 7:54 am

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
You should earn the bonus on the fare paid, so +50% for Y. I recall some discussion around here a while back about possibly needing to call in due to a system limitation, though.

Edited...found it!
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...b-m-fares.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.