Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2012, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
Welcome to the -- a place to just relax and have some fun. Stop in and see what's happening!

Print Wikipost

The Alaska Airlines Bored Room

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2012, 5:50 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.583 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Pancake hours - YMMV. I was there last month and it was working at 10 AM...
^ I don't see the harm in hanging out in the BR for a few hours to get some work done!
Old Oct 9, 2012, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by bj27
^ I don't see the harm in hanging out in the BR for a few hours to get some work done!
I don't know how you can get work done in the BR. It's always an overcrowded mess when I'm there. It's more stressful to be in the BR than not, IMO.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 9:47 pm

Will definitely check out that restaurant if we get a chance. I LOVE authentic mexican food that isn't too touristy.
Tucson has many good restaurants, I'm sure your friend will have suggestions also, but one of my fave places is http://cafepocacosatucson.com/
This is a slightly higher-end restaurant but try it for lunch if you don't want to spend too much, you will order off the chalkboard which changes all the time.

And there are several good (fun and colourful) Sonoran hot dog places! Also, depending on your age and energy, there are a few fun places down on Congress St or near the Uni.

I've taken the flight from SEA to TUS or back a few times, but I don't really remember what they served, although I do remember it was quite good. And the Flight Attendants have always seemed really good on that route.

If you haven't been to Tucson before, I hope you will take the drive from Speedway into Gates Pass and the Tucson Mtn Park and to the Desert Museum. Quite stunning and if you love photography, go there at sunrise/sunset for some fab photos.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by United757
I don't know how you can get work done in the BR. It's always an overcrowded mess when I'm there. It's more stressful to be in the BR than not, IMO.
I've actually never been in the BR before, I've only been in a few Delta Skyclubs here and there. I'll have to check it out... I'm wondering what traffic at 10:30am on a Thursday will be like though.

Originally Posted by Abby
Tucson has many good restaurants, I'm sure your friend will have suggestions also, but one of my fave places is http://cafepocacosatucson.com/
This is a slightly higher-end restaurant but try it for lunch if you don't want to spend too much, you will order off the chalkboard which changes all the time.

And there are several good (fun and colourful) Sonoran hot dog places! Also, depending on your age and energy, there are a few fun places down on Congress St or near the Uni.

I've taken the flight from SEA to TUS or back a few times, but I don't really remember what they served, although I do remember it was quite good. And the Flight Attendants have always seemed really good on that route.

If you haven't been to Tucson before, I hope you will take the drive from Speedway into Gates Pass and the Tucson Mtn Park and to the Desert Museum. Quite stunning and if you love photography, go there at sunrise/sunset for some fab photos.
Thank you for the suggestions! I will be staying with my friend who goes to UA for her MBA so we'll be close to campus most of the time. But I would love to check out more local spots and those Sonoran hot dogs sound awesome--I don't normally eat hot dogs but if it's got a bunch of different toppings that are more unusual/ethnic, I'm game.

Good to hear, I'll definitely share my experience after my flight. ^

The Desert Museum is awesome! My family and I went there a few years ago when we went there for Christmas (don't ask me why, I'm not sure either). It actually began snowing when we were in Tucson also but it definitely was not PNW-type snow...
Old Oct 9, 2012, 10:41 pm

I've actually never been in the BR before, I've only been in a few Delta Skyclubs here and there. I'll have to check it out... I'm wondering what traffic at 10:30am on a Thursday will be like though.
The Alaska BR experience can vary a lot - but I usually enjoy it. Yes, it can be busy but the terminal can be worse! I don't think you have unrealistic expectations. The AS BR tends to fill up quickly when they have a scheduled flight, of course.

Enjoy your trip and let us know what you think of the food. My next flight on that route is about the 22nd or 23rd.

It sounds like you already have an appreciation of the Tucson area!
Old Oct 9, 2012, 10:44 pm

The Alaska BR experience can vary a lot - but I usually enjoy it. Yes, it can be busy but the terminal can be worse! I don't think you have unrealistic expectations. The AS BR tends to fill up quickly when they have a scheduled flight, of course.

Enjoy your trip and let us know what you think of the food. My next flight on that route is about the 22nd or 23rd.

It sounds like you already have an appreciation of the Tucson area!
I think the food and drink satisfy me--I don't have any expectations as I don't fly often/use the BR either!

Interestingly enough though, my seat map for First shows that I'm the only one in First ATM but we're nearly a month out so I imagine they'll fill up.

I do! Excited to see what we get as far as lunch goes and I'll definitely post here... For me it's like a little meal-lottery (what do I get today?).

Oh and PS--THANK you ALL for the help! Really appreciate it and it's great to get an idea of what to expect before I go.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 10:59 pm

Thank you for the suggestions! I will be staying with my friend who goes to UA for her MBA so we'll be close to campus most of the time. But I would love to check out more local spots and those Sonoran hot dogs sound awesome--I don't normally eat hot dogs but if it's got a bunch of different toppings that are more unusual/ethnic, I'm game.
Also, meant to say that the campus is quite central - you won't be far from downtown and also it's easy to get to the South Tucson area, if you want the great Mexican food over there. But you will have lots of great choices right by the Uni! And the downtown area is getting better all the time.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:15 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by United757
You must have a low tolerance for stress. I never have a problem working there. I work from the BR in SEA and PDX practically every week. Only twice has the BR been too crowded. Both times I went to the SC and worked there.

It's the same "menu" as dinner, just cheaper. Tell them you want the plato (Spanish for plate, not the Greek philosopher). The owner, Suzana, is awesome too.

I'm wondering what traffic at 10:30am on a Thursday will be like though.
Shouldn't be too bad.

But I would love to check out more local spots and those Sonoran hot dogs sound awesome--I don't normally eat hot dogs but if it's got a bunch of different toppings that are more unusual/ethnic, I'm game.
Not sure jalapeńos, beans, onions and tomatoes qualify as "ethnic food," but Sonoran hot dogs are damn good.

Also, meant to say that the campus is quite central - you won't be far from downtown and also it's easy to get to the South Tucson area, if you want the great Mexican food over there.
I'd avoid driving to downtown or university at this time. The streetcar construction has made things a total mess, and parking is a real pain. Besides the stuff right around campus isn't anything to write home about. 1702 is good for pizza and beer, but that's about it right around campus.

If you want more suggestions, drop me a PM. I've lived in Tucson 10 years and I'm always willing to share suggestions with anyone coming down here.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by tusphotog
You must have a low tolerance for stress. I never have a problem working there. I work from the BR in SEA and PDX practically every week. Only twice has the BR been too crowded. Both times I went to the SC and worked there.

It's the same "menu" as dinner, just cheaper. Tell them you want the plato (Spanish for plate, not the Greek philosopher). The owner, Suzana, is awesome too.

Shouldn't be too bad.

Not sure jalapeńos, beans, onions and tomatoes qualify as "ethnic food," but Sonoran hot dogs are damn good.

I'd avoid driving to downtown or university at this time. The streetcar construction has made things a total mess, and parking is a real pain. Besides the stuff right around campus isn't anything to write home about. 1702 is good for pizza and beer, but that's about it right around campus.

If you want more suggestions, drop me a PM. I've lived in Tucson 10 years and I'm always willing to share suggestions with anyone coming down here.
Don't know why I didn't see this earlier, but ^! I appreciate all the suggestions. I can't wait to get down there and be in the sun again.

My friend has her car down there so we'll be able to get around decently well... I think I'll be spoiled from all the good food we'll be eating. I did take note of all the suggestions you guys have given me so I'll be sharing when the time comes!

Excited to experience the Board Room too--I've only been in SC and I hear decent things about BR.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Don't know why I didn't see this earlier, but ^! I appreciate all the suggestions. I can't wait to get down there and be in the sun again.

My friend has her car down there so we'll be able to get around decently well... I think I'll be spoiled from all the good food we'll be eating. I did take note of all the suggestions you guys have given me so I'll be sharing when the time comes!
I join many others in wishing you a wonderful trip to Tucson, but p l e a s e...

Do Not share thoughts on your Tucson adventures - epicurean or otherwise - at this forum unless they specifically involve meals served to you aboard Alaska Airlines flights. As for thoughts and repartee on things to do and places to eat in Tucson, you will find a much larger and more appreciative audience for your Tucson travels at either of the two forums listed below. Feel free to click on them and check them out! You can always PM or use the email function to alert your friends to your posts. Bon voyage and bon appétit!

Dining Buzz Forum
A forum for general restaurant and bar discussion.

Western United States Travel Forum

Last edited by Seat 2A; Oct 21, 2012 at 8:42 am
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I join many others in wishing you a wonderful trip to Tucson, but p l e a s e...

Do Not share thoughts on your Tucson adventures - epicurean or otherwise - at this forum unless they specifically involve meals served to you aboard Alaska Airlines flights. As for thoughts and repartee on things to do and places to eat in Tucson, you will find a much larger and more appreciative audience for your Tucson travels at either of the two forums listed below. Feel free to click on them and check them out! You can always PM or use the email function to alert your friends to your posts. Bon voyage and bon appétit!

Dining Buzz Forum

Since the previous thread this discussion was located in went way off topic, I've moved these posts about Board Room food and things to see, do, and eat in Tucson to the Alaska Airlines Lounge Thread, which is probably the least inappropriate place for it in this forum. However, for more in-depth discussion, the OP may wish to consider posting in the forums linked above by Seat 2A.

Last edited by jackal; Oct 21, 2012 at 11:32 pm Reason: Clarified wording ;)
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by jackal
Since the previous thread this discussion was located in went way off topic, I've moved these posts about Board Room food and things to see, do, and eat in Tucson to the Alaska Airlines Lounge Thread, which is probably the most appropriate place for it in this forum. However, for more in-depth discussion, the OP may wish to consider posting in the forums linked above by Seat 2A.
Hey I forgot about this thread
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:28 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
AS boardroom lounge expectations

When I go to the boardroom (most often SEA as that is my home base) I go because I am early for my flight and want to sit at a comfortable desk and get a small bit of work done. For that, I use the cubicles at the far east end of the first floor. As long as one of those is open, it doesn't matter how busy the rest of the lounge is, I can tune out all the distractions. I do not like the high chairs along the window wall to work in though, they just are not comfy for me.

I am amazed though, at the number of people that treat it as a nap area, stretching out on the couches snoring happily away

In the afternoons/evenings, I might get a glass of wine, but if I do that I will take a seat where ever something is open and just read for a bit. Just cannot get the hang of wine with working, too many mistakes or should NOT have sent that reply emails LOL!
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:48 am

Programs: Most at varying levels of elite-ness.
New Video - LAX Board Room

Posted my video review of the LAX lounge last week. Would love to hear feedback from frequent users (Anything I left out? What's your favorite thing about the lounge?)

Got in on a pretty mellow weekend afternoon but am wondering, does it get crowded here at other times?

Here's the video: http://www.modhop.com/alaska-airlines-board-room-lax/
Old Oct 22, 2012, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A

Dining Buzz Forum

Duly noted. Thank you for the help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.