Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2012, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
Welcome to the -- a place to just relax and have some fun. Stop in and see what's happening!

Print Wikipost

The Alaska Airlines Bored Room

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2017, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jediwho
Walked five minutes to the Centurion lounge for the first time and what a difference in service and quality of food. No need to go to AS BR in Seattle again.
No doubt the Centurion Lounge does have some pretty nice food offerings but I beg to differ on comfort, especially at the work stations which I prefer. The Alaska Lounge has those comfy ergonomic office chairs along with a decent variety of quaffable ales upstairs.

That said, for me at least the Centurion Lounge is a nice change of pace now and then if I have the time.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
No doubt the Centurion Lounge does have some pretty nice food offerings but I beg to differ on comfort, especially at the work stations which I prefer. The Alaska Lounge has those comfy ergonomic office chairs along with a decent variety of quaffable ales upstairs.

That said, for me at least the Centurion Lounge is a nice change of pace now and then if I have the time.
Chairs are nice having said that the BR model is old, tired and broken. I have been in a number of BR's this month alone and they continue to get busier as flights are added, nothing is being done about that, the old tired furnishing and the lack of growth of clubrooms.

AMEX see's this not only with AS but others that's one reason your seeing their growth continue and grow.

As I have said before after 15 years I am not renewing my membership. I do have AMEX and PP both from AMEX and Sapphire.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
I have PP via AMEX but I renewed my AL membership primarily for its access to AA's Admirals Clubs.

As for the AL office chairs, I've not come across any that felt "old, tired and broken" but - even if the were - they're a helluva a lot more comfortable than the hard plastic and tables at the Centurion Lounge.

That said, I'm looking forward to visiting the CL at LAS next week. And, if I have time, I might even stop by The Club even though it is the opposite side of the terminal from Alaska's gates. Great soup and snacks there.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:18 am

I have PP via AMEX but I renewed my AL membership primarily for its access to AA's Admirals Clubs.

As for the AL office chairs, I've not come across any that felt "old, tired and broken" but - even if the were - they're a helluva a lot more comfortable than the hard plastic and tables at the Centurion Lounge.

That said, I'm looking forward to visiting the CL at LAS next week. And, if I have time, I might even stop by The Club even though it is the opposite side of the terminal from Alaska's gates. Great soup and snacks there.
Sorry I was not referring to the chairs but the overall room (s) The CL at LAS is great but then all full size CL's are great.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
This past weekend, I flew the remaining two "premium" type transcons that I not yet previously sampled on the SFO/NYC route. B6 and DL. (My last UA flight was quite some time ago, before they went to a 2 cabin service.) I actually think the VX F seat is pretty competitive, even though it isn't lie flat. I didn't like today's DL 757 seat at all (narrow, with a horrible little footwell), and wasn't a huge fan of the B6 Mint seat either (the "suite" row) - no separate adjustment for recline and legrest - both go at once - and the long narrow footwell was like sliding into an MRI. AA seats are better than both of those, and in fact, the best on the route (save UA's current seat, of which I'm not sure). B6 Mint currently has the best wine in the domestic skies. Food was very good, and it is set up like what I never got to try on AS - i.e., pick 3 of 5 small plates.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
... I didn't like today's DL 757 seat at all (narrow, with a horrible little footwell) ....
the worst thing about the DL 757 TCON configuration is the lack of direct aisle access from the window seats: you have to be a contortionist (or on extremely good terms with your seatmate) if you want to get out from the window seat while the aisle seat is fully flat

a lot of DL regulars also complain about the footwell in the lie-flats on the 767-300, but (at 5-foot-6) I haven't found them to be uncomfortable
Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:34 pm

I am currently on a AS flight now and heard a new announcement ,

The FC FA introduced himself etc and then told us that if we wanted something "from the back" we will now have to pay for it, no exceptions!!!!! I guess too many people were asking for edible food. He also said he highly recommended the cheese tortellini UGH
Old Jan 26, 2017, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by edgewood49

The FC FA introduced himself etc and then told us that if we wanted something "from the back" we will now have to pay for it, no exceptions!!!!! I guess too many people were asking for edible food. He also said he highly recommended the cheese tortellini UGH
Old Jan 26, 2017, 10:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Waiting for round two of AS865.

Had a medical diversion back to SAN, first time for me. Thankfully only 20 mins into flight.
Attached Images  
Old Jan 26, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: MVPG, VX-Silver

Board Room/Alaska Lounge is tired for sure; I gave up my membership last summer... The office chairs we're still working last time I stopped by and had coffee with Sen. Murkowski in the corner

Centurion Lounge is my new standard. Better food. Less space (but being expanded) and fits my typical stop/stay of <45 minutes.

I have not experienced the new SkyClub in A... but the one in S has always been worth the train trek over there Looking forward to checking out the changes next month if I'm able to leave FAI and thaw out
Old Jan 26, 2017, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wheresdg
Centurion Lounge is my new standard. Better food. Less space (but being expanded) and fits my typical stop/stay of <45 minutes.
The problem for me is that I generally like to be within 2-3 minutes walk of my gate when I leave the lounge. It's a long haul from the SEA Centurion Lounge all the way across the Pacific Marketplace just to get to the head of the C & D concourses. It can take even longer to walk down the B concourse, take the train with one stop (S gates) to the main terminal, the connector train to the other side of the main terminal, and then the north loop train to the N gates or far C gates.

I miss the good old days when the United Club was located downstairs on the North Satellite. It was a quick escalator ride to the N gates or a one minute train ride to the far C gates which covered 75% of Alaska's gates. That said, I look forward to when Alaska opens its new lounge in the old Admirals Club facility at the end of the C Concourse...
Old Jan 27, 2017, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by edgewood49

It wasn't announced but on my flight, but the FA noticed I had reserved a Y meal and offered either the tortellini or i could keep my coach meal but would have to pay. I took the tortellini, It seemed decent to me but then again its not a meal i've had on AS before since it was one of my rare non-transcon AS flights.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
It wasn't announced but on my flight, but the FA noticed I had reserved a Y meal and offered either the tortellini or i could keep my coach meal but would have to pay. I took the tortellini, It seemed decent to me but then again its not a meal i've had on AS before since it was one of my rare non-transcon AS flights.
Their serving the tortellini up and down the coast.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What?!! Nobody's posted here in the Bored Room for over two weeks?!!
We must be really boring!

So in that vein, here's a bit of personal aviation esoterica to go with your morning coffee.

Yesterday, I logged my 500,000th mile aboard an Alaska 737-800.

We're not talking about my 500,000th mile over all. In that regard I've logged over 5.1 million miles. No - I'm saying that over 500,000 miles of my 5.1 million total miles have been flown specifically aboard Alaska 737-800s.

I think I'm gonna fire up a celebratory cigar and pour me a glass of Woodford Reserve. Is it okay to smoke in here?
Old Feb 12, 2017, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I think I'm gonna fire up a celebratory cigar. Is it okay to smoke in here?
Not until the Captain turns off the no smoking sign.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.