Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2012, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
Welcome to the -- a place to just relax and have some fun. Stop in and see what's happening!

Print Wikipost

The Alaska Airlines Bored Room

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2016, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
If I did my math right, I think I was just blown away by a fact I've long assumed to be true but never before did the calculations to check.

I've long suspected that Anchorage had a very high level of O&D traffic for a city of its size, in large part due to the tourism market but also because Alaskans tend to be more reliant on air transportation than people in other places.

In Kansas or Georgia or Idaho, when it's time to go to Aunt Bertha's for Thanksgiving or Grandma's for Christmas, you load the kids up in the station wagon (today I would guess that would be a minivan) and drive to Peoria or Winston-Salem or Spokane.

If you live in Alaska, and especially if you are one of the relatively large number of Alaskans whose families live out of state, the normal thing to do is hop on a plane and fly--because it's a lot harder to drive from Anchorage to Spokane than it is to drive from Boise to Spokane. (Growing up in Alaska, it was very, very normal for most people in my school to fly out of town for holidays or in the summer. I don't get the impression that is true for most of my cousins' fellow students at their schools, where "family road trip" was much more of a thing than it was in Alaska.)

Anyway, I finally got around to looking and stumbled across this analysis:

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo.../6003348/1/#35

The interesting thing is that he's taken the airport O&D stats and compared them to metro area population.

It seems most "normal" non-destination markets hover around the 500-700 passengers per 1,000 residents mark. Moderate tourism and major business destination markets (NYC, DC, Chicago, etc.), creep up to the ~800-900 passengers per 1,000 residents mark. Big tourist destinations like Orlando, Vegas push upwards of 2-3,000 passengers per 1,000 residents mark.

And then there's Anchorage.

He doesn't include ANC in his post because (as he says upthread) the DOT doesn't include AK and HI in the normal tables. But looking at ANC's O&D data from here and comparing it to the metropolitan population of Anchorage here (and using 2012 for both, to compare apples to apples), I'm coming up with a very interesting figure:

ANC: O&D: 2,173,337 | Metro population: 392,535 | Passengers per 1,000 residents: 5,537

That's almost twice the ratio of passengers to residents for the next-largest city in knope2000's post on A.net (LAS, with 2,858).

Granted, a large portion of the Anchorage market's O&D base is made up of tourists, but I think more than a small portion of these figures is made up by the fact that Alaskans are very mobile, and flying a couple of times or more a year is not uncommon. (As of a few years ago, the stats for the annual tourism market pegged the number at somewhere around 1.5 million, IIRC, and many of those arrived by cruise ship. So even pulling the tourism market out completely still leaves the number of O&D travelers at ANC at a massive figure.)

Perhaps a more accurate comparison would be Fairbanks which, while still a tourist destination, is not as commonly an end-point on most out-of-state travelers' itineraries:

FAI: O&D: 429,549 | Metro population: 100,272 | Passengers per 1,000 residents: 4,283

I would guess that a much larger proportion of those passengers is made up of locals traveling (or those coming to Fairbanks for business). That's a pretty staggering figure.

Same goes for other Alaskan destinations off of the main tourist beaten path (2013 figures):

BRW: O&D: 48,538 | Metro population: 4,373 | Passengers per 1,000 residents: 11,099
OME: O&D: 53,734 | Metro population: 3,797 | Passengers per 1,000 residents: 14,151
OTZ: O&D: 56,488 | Metro population: 3,272 | Passengers per 1,000 residents: 17,264
HPB: O&D: 4,229 | Metro population: 1,169 | Passengers per 1,000 residents: 3,617
BTI: O&D: 1,761 | Metro population: 247 | Passengers per 1,000 residents: 7,129

It would be interesting to compare the statistics for Hawaii, though--with a huge tourist market and a low population on most of the islands, they probably make Alaskan statistics look like Wichita does.

Last edited by jackal; Feb 24, 2016 at 6:18 pm
Old Feb 3, 2016, 4:07 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by jackal
[ . . . ]

And then there's Anchorage.

He doesn't include ANC in his post because (as he says upthread) the DOT doesn't include AK and HI in the normal tables. But looking at ANC's O&D data from here and comparing it to the metropolitan population of Anchorage here (and using 2012 for both, to compare apples to apples), I'm coming up with a very interesting figure:

ANC: O&D: 2,173,337 | Metro population: 392,535 | Passengers per 1,000 residents: 5,537

That's almost twice the ratio of passengers to residents for the next-largest city in knope2000's post on A.net (LAS, with 2,858).

Granted, a large portion of the Anchorage market's O&D base is made up of tourists, but I think more than a small portion of these figures is made up by the fact that Alaskans are very mobile, and flying a couple of times or more a year is not uncommon.

Perhaps a more accurate comparison would be Fairbanks which, while still a tourist destination, is not as commonly an end-point on most out-of-state travelers' itineraries:

FAI: O&D: 429,549 | Metro population: 100,272 | Passengers per 1,000 residents: 4,283

I would guess that a much larger proportion of those passengers is made up of locals traveling (or those coming to Fairbanks for business). That's a pretty staggering figure.

Same goes for other Alaskan destinations off of the main tourist beaten path (2013 figures):

BRW: O&D: 48,538 | Metro population: 4,373 | Passengers per 1,000 residents: 11,099
OME: O&D: 53,734 | Metro population: 3,797 | Passengers per 1,000 residents: 14,151
OTZ: O&D: 56,488 | Metro population: 3,272 | Passengers per 1,000 residents: 17,264
HPB: O&D: 4,229 | Metro population: 1,169 | Passengers per 1,000 residents: 3,617
BTI: O&D: 1,761 | Metro population: 247 | Passengers per 1,000 residents: 7,129

[ . . . ]
These are really fascinating stats. Thanks for posting ^
Old Feb 6, 2016, 11:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.2.858 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Apparently due to military exercises we're making a detour to the north to get to LIH today from SAN, turning at Catalina Island.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 3:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.2.858 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Just had another light shaker a few minutes ago...
Old Feb 15, 2016, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beckoa

How big? I don't think I got my usual USGS earthquake info email for this one.

ETA: I just got an email now with a "revised" magnitude of 4.2 centered on the Kenai 22 miles south of Anchorage. (I must have missed the original email.)

Last edited by jackal; Feb 15, 2016 at 11:36 am
Old Feb 17, 2016, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA, AS, TZ, UA, Clipper, EZ-Link, Hop, Navigo, Octopus, Oyster
Is it getting to be time to "refresh" the Bored Room logo?
Old Feb 18, 2016, 12:49 pm

Yesterday (2/17), AS 895 (typically SAN-HNL) actually flew SAN-SJC-HNL, apparently for a fuel stop in SJC (!) because of the strong headwind.

I flew HNL-LAX on HA yesterday, and the moving map showed our ground speed as 670 mph at one point!
Old Feb 18, 2016, 4:33 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by dieselbear
Is it getting to be time to "refresh" the Bored Room logo?
rebrand?
Old Feb 19, 2016, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC

Any of the usual "Did the earth move for you" quips?
Old Feb 24, 2016, 5:07 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K (Pure AS)
PDX-DCA ... Via PIT

Just sitting onboard, parked in the GA area of PIT, thanks to the storms in DC. Circled quite a while, then had to divert (as at least 2-3 others did, too, apparently). Looks like at least another 20-30 mins before we take off again, as IAD and DCA both on ground stop.

FAs doing a pretty good job handling things, although they seem a little flummoxed. So far, the information has been regularly coming and the mood is holding.

Had to miss a pretty great omakase dinner, though... 😕 Darn weather.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by amunter
Just sitting onboard, parked in the GA area of PIT, thanks to the storms in DC. Circled quite a while, then had to divert (as at least 2-3 others did, too, apparently). Looks like at least another 20-30 mins before we take off again, as IAD and DCA both on ground stop.

FAs doing a pretty good job handling things, although they seem a little flummoxed. So far, the information has been regularly coming and the mood is holding.

Had to miss a pretty great omakase dinner, though... �� Darn weather.
I am very tempted to head out to the airport to see an AS jet here!!

ETA: Looks like you guys took off about 10 minutes ago.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 8:43 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador

Now there's a rumor AS flying to PIT !!!!

Hope you got in safe
Old Feb 24, 2016, 8:43 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K (Pure AS)

Yep - ended up spending roughly an hour on the ground in PIT (although never deplaned). Ended up being an 8-hour trip PDX-DCA, but boy, the terminal was crowded with unhappy people when we landed. DCA was not a fun place to fly in or out of tonight...

Nice approach to PIT - right over downtown, sort of a tour of the area. The rivers and bridges remind me of PDX a bit from the air....
Old Feb 24, 2016, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by amunter
Yep - ended up spending roughly an hour on the ground in PIT (although never deplaned). Ended up being an 8-hour trip PDX-DCA, but boy, the terminal was crowded with unhappy people when we landed. DCA was not a fun place to fly in or out of tonight...

Nice approach to PIT - right over downtown, sort of a tour of the area. The rivers and bridges remind me of PDX a bit from the air....
It is quite a beautiful, photogenic skyline, IMHO. And I think I'm being objective when I say that, since I'm a very recent transplant and have no real attachments here. It's a much nicer city than I ever thought it would be, and I still haven't yet run out of things to do (or places to eat!) here. Come back and visit!
Old Feb 25, 2016, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR

Any of the usual "Did the earth move for you" quips?
No just had me wide awake for a bit longer that night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.