Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2012, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
Welcome to the -- a place to just relax and have some fun. Stop in and see what's happening!

Print Wikipost

The Alaska Airlines Bored Room

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2015, 8:46 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by jackal
I think you just accused the majority of residents of your home state of having less than 50% functionality of their cerebrums...
I love my home state so much, but the one problem is that majority of residents....firmly in Bob's camp on this one. I just go to the desks in the back of the BR and put on the headphones.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:42 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Well...GAM does have a paved landing strip.
q400 can handle 4200ft. The 4500ft at GAM should be no prob.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by MonThruThurs
Also -- I'm doing SEA - SFO - DXB - LHR tomorrow in F. Can't wait for some caviar, Johnny Blue, Dom, and Balik Salmon in the DXB F lounge!
Go Dawgs? No way! Go MonThruThurs! I hear Emirates operate their own lounge rather than a contract lounge at SFO. I hope you get down there with time enough to enjoy it. Have a great flight!

The Emirates Lounge at LHR is also very nice and includes a buffet dining room.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 12:03 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Seat2A's guide to sleeping in airports should be good enough, no?

Also -- I'm doing SEA - SFO - DXB - LHR tomorrow in F. Can't wait for some caviar, Johnny Blue, Dom, and Balik Salmon in the DXB F lounge!
I've fallen in love with the service and amenities in EK F ... I really enjoy the Dom and caviar no matter what else is served for the meals.

Enjoy your trip and be sure to report back to us, MonThruThurs!
Old Jan 24, 2015, 12:17 pm

Amazon Prime Special for $72 -- and Offline Video Question

Does anyone use Amazon Prime to download movies or TV to watch offline while traveling? If so, does Prime let you do it for free or do you still have to pay/rent the movie?

I'm usually bored with the digeplayers - when I can manage to find one that actually works! And I'm not completely thrilled with the new Alaska Beyond entertainment system. This month I've already watched almost everything on those two systems that interests me - but I still have a couple transcons coming up next week.

Today Amazon Prime is offering a special rate of $72 for new subscribers, a savings of over 25%. I'm tempted to sign up, but don't know if it will be a good benefit for me.

Their shipping service isn't of much interest to me. I do try to shop local, and Amazon Prime's special shipping rates for the Lower 48 don't extend to Alaska.

It's the movie and TV service that is intriguing - but most of what I'm seeing looks like the free Amazon Prime is limited to the streaming service.

Amazon FAQ says you can download video to watch later on your own device. But when I do a search, all I see is Prime free streaming and paid rentals for download.

Is this because I'm not yet a subscriber?
Old Jan 24, 2015, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by AKCuisine
Does anyone use Amazon Prime to download movies or TV to watch offline while traveling? If so, does Prime let you do it for free or do you still have to pay/rent the movie?
Some (free) Prime content can only be streamed, while the rest can be downloaded.

I downloaded quite a bit to my 32Gb Fire for my last trip, including a Prime free movie called Good Night: young woman announces to the guests at her birthday party "Hey, I'll be dead soon ... but there's cake!" Seriously, I was skeptical, but really liked the film. I also had several episodes of the TV series Wallander on my device (free). I had some other things on there, such as a couple of episodes from the TV series Sherlock (NOT free). I don't mind paying a rental fee for a slew of entertainment of my choice inflight.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by Points Scrounger; Jan 24, 2015 at 4:17 pm
Old Jan 24, 2015, 3:59 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by AKCuisine
I've fallen in love with the service and amenities in EK F ... I really enjoy the Dom and caviar no matter what else is served for the meals.

Enjoy your trip and be sure to report back to us, MonThruThurs!
Emirates lounge at sfo. The shrimp was really good. I'll post some more once in Dubai.

Old Jan 24, 2015, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Some (free) Prime content can only be streamed, while the rest can be downbloaded.

I downloaded quite a bit to my 32Gb Fire for my last trip, including a Prime free movie called Good Night: young woman announces to the guests at her birthday party "Hey, I'll be dead soon ... but there's cake!" Seriously, I was skeptical, but really liked the film. I also had several episodes of the TV series Wallander on my device (free). I had some other things on there, such as a couple of episodes from the TV series Sherlock (NOT free). I don't mind paying a rental fee for a slew of entertainment of my choice inflight.

Hope that helps!
Thanks, Points Scrounger. That's great news! All I could see during my cursory search were free-streaming options OR paid rentals.

It makes sense to try Amazon Prime now, especially with the $72 new subscriber rate for the first year.

As for the digeplayers, I've had bad luck getting one that works on the past X number of flights I've taken. Perhaps this is one of the reasons -- seatmate on my last flight kept using his as a coaster, while I didn't even get one that worked!

Example of "Why We Can't Have Nice Things" - Dige-Player as Dige-Coaster:

Last edited by AKCuisine; Jan 24, 2015 at 4:28 pm Reason: To add comment and photo
Old Jan 24, 2015, 4:24 pm

Emirates lounge at sfo. The shrimp was really good. I'll post some more once in Dubai.
Wow - what a gorgeous spread! Thanks for the photo, MonThruThurs. ^ You are going to LOVE the Emirates lounges in Dubai. If your stopover is long enough, explore a couple of them. They each have a unique personality, IMO.

I've flown EK F out of SEA, but the lounge offerings there were quite meh. And in November I flew EK F out of LAX but was completely unimpressed with the shared lounge that's operated by KAL.

There was hardly any food offered in the LAX KAL lounge - either hot or cold - just 2 small chafing dishes with a miniscule dollop of noodles and a few cold sandwich quarters. And beverages were sparse, too. No champagne or sparkling wine, and only 1 red and 1 white on offer.

This reinforces my excitement about my upcoming June EK F flight that departs from SFO to DXB.

Keep the photos coming. And a trip report, too.

Last edited by AKCuisine; Jan 24, 2015 at 4:35 pm
Old Jan 26, 2015, 9:31 am

Location: Vancouver (Not BC), WA (Not DC)...I'm in a PDX flight path.
Programs: Elite peon; MR Gold; HH Silver; BW Diamond (status match)
Originally Posted by jackal
Good thing you came by! Your FT credentials were about 3 hours from expiring.
*phbbbt*
Old Jan 26, 2015, 9:32 am

Location: Vancouver (Not BC), WA (Not DC)...I'm in a PDX flight path.
Programs: Elite peon; MR Gold; HH Silver; BW Diamond (status match)
Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Well welcome back ^

Care to join us in DUT this fall?
Not sure yet...I've got a few trips coming this year, so I need to check to see if it's in the budget.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
For the love of god AS please open up award space on SAN-PDX non-stops. I had to cancel part of my MR next weekend to make a stop in PDX for a funeral. Saver is only available SAN-BOI-PDX, Not looking forward to trying the skywest CRJ service. EF alerts set up for the 2 late afternoon non-stops.

Grandpa sure does have a sense of humor. He put me in a middle seat for SEA-BOS transcon Ok not his fault but still
Old Jan 26, 2015, 3:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
IHG Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by wsucougarchick05
Not sure yet...I've got a few trips coming this year, so I need to check to see if it's in the budget.
we'd recommended using miles...
Old Jan 26, 2015, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by CDKing
For the love of god AS please open up award space on SAN-PDX non-stops. I had to cancel part of my MR next weekend to make a stop in PDX for a funeral. Saver is only available SAN-BOI-PDX, Not looking forward to trying the skywest CRJ service. EF alerts set up for the 2 late afternoon non-stops.

Grandpa sure does have a sense of humor. He put me in a middle seat for SEA-BOS transcon Ok not his fault but still
I changed my mind. I decided to book AA on the way back. $220 one way for last minute PDX-BOS in Q is not too bad ($50 more than O yuk) . I think its worth paying cash to avoid that transcon middle seat and fly Main Cabin Extra. Plus extra $80 for SAN-SEA-PDX using my $50 discount code.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 3:06 am

Programs: AA
I'm not sure if this is the proper place to mention this but it didn't seem worth its own thread:

I just wanted to briefly praise AS for the customer service experience I just had. I made the completely boneheaded move of booking an upcoming return flight in the wrong month. The trip was SFO-SEA 2/6-2/9, but I booked 2/6-3/9. I explained what happened to a CS rep (rather than changing via as.com) and, completely unprompted, she said she'd rebook the return and waive the change fee.

I have no idea if that's a typical response, but I was really surprised and pleased, especially since this was clearly entirely my fault. Plus, I booked the flight a week ago.

I did move down from F to Y, because the F fare for the closer date was higher and the difference to stay in F wasn't worth it to me for such a short flight, but at least as a result I did end up with a nice fare credit.

Anyway, these days I generally don't ever expect to have a mistake rewarded with accommodating service from any major corporation, much less an airline. So this was welcome!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.