Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2012, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
Welcome to the -- a place to just relax and have some fun. Stop in and see what's happening!

Print Wikipost

The Alaska Airlines Bored Room

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2014, 5:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Happy Thanksgiving AS FTers ^
Old Nov 27, 2014, 8:00 am
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Happy Thanksgiving AS FTers ^
ditto! Wish all that are traveling safe travels and on time travels if you are going to the northeast! As for me, I stay pretty sedentary or grounded these days when it comes to holidays
Old Nov 28, 2014, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, BA Silver, Marriott Plat., Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis First
Hello!

I am a long time United flyer who is very, very close to leaving them for Alaska. I explained my circumstances and the decision I am making in a post on the United forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...l#post23912091

I added the link here because I would greatly value any input you all may have. I really like Alaska and enjoy the flights whenever the routes work out for me. But, that isn't very often. I would mostly credit flights on other airlines to Alaska and use my MP account as a repository for redeemable miles. I think my reasoning for the switch is sound, but if you have any guidance I would be appreciative,

Thanks,

Muckus

Last edited by Muckus; Nov 28, 2014 at 6:15 pm
Old Nov 29, 2014, 3:20 pm
ANC

Is the Crab Pot any good or a tourist trap?
Old Nov 29, 2014, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Muckus
Hello!

I am a long time United flyer who is very, very close to leaving them for Alaska. I explained my circumstances and the decision I am making in a post on the United forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...l#post23912091

I added the link here because I would greatly value any input you all may have. I really like Alaska and enjoy the flights whenever the routes work out for me. But, that isn't very often. I would mostly credit flights on other airlines to Alaska and use my MP account as a repository for redeemable miles. I think my reasoning for the switch is sound, but if you have any guidance I would be appreciative,

Thanks,

Muckus
I'm a UA MM and haven't set foot on a UA plane in over 2 years, and am down to less than 5K miles total in my MP account. I've used AS as my primary bank for several years running and for the second time since the program started, am 75K through 2015. The announced changes to 2015 AS MP have me thinking I've continued to make the right decision. I've got just under 24K AS EQMs and just under 97K EQMS including partners (on 29 segments total). A big portion of that are international premium fares.

If I was flying mostly on the back of the bus with the partners, I'd probably have headed over to a OW carrier where I could have status, for baggage allowances, lounge access, etc. I'm optimistic that the AA partnership is in good shape for awhile and may even get stronger. The 2015 program makes it clear that AS is not out to 'stick it' to the FFers during a time where DL is trying to ruin AS's business. AS has managed to not stick it to us lately (the chip chips have mostly stopped) while making buckets of money, and keeping the planes full.

UA became like an old relative that never quite died, but after the last several visits, when you stopped visiting her, you didn't miss her at all. Then, when she visited the plastic surgeon, she started looking and acting like a clown. Fortunately, you just hear the horror stories from your other relatives who refuse to stop visiting her.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 6:44 pm
ANC

wifes got a future in the planeography industry

Oct 2013

Last edited by ANC; Dec 1, 2014 at 6:46 am
Old Dec 1, 2014, 12:24 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
I think my most favorite part of flying is that moment (and the momentum) of when the wheels leave the ground, with that resultant push back against my seat. I just never get tired of that moment.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, BA Silver, Marriott Plat., Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis First
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I'm a UA MM and haven't set foot on a UA plane in over 2 years, and am down to less than 5K miles total in my MP account. I've used AS as my primary bank for several years running and for the second time since the program started, am 75K through 2015. The announced changes to 2015 AS MP have me thinking I've continued to make the right decision. I've got just under 24K AS EQMs and just under 97K EQMS including partners (on 29 segments total). A big portion of that are international premium fares.

If I was flying mostly on the back of the bus with the partners, I'd probably have headed over to a OW carrier where I could have status, for baggage allowances, lounge access, etc. I'm optimistic that the AA partnership is in good shape for awhile and may even get stronger. The 2015 program makes it clear that AS is not out to 'stick it' to the FFers during a time where DL is trying to ruin AS's business. AS has managed to not stick it to us lately (the chip chips have mostly stopped) while making buckets of money, and keeping the planes full.

UA became like an old relative that never quite died, but after the last several visits, when you stopped visiting her, you didn't miss her at all. Then, when she visited the plastic surgeon, she started looking and acting like a clown. Fortunately, you just hear the horror stories from your other relatives who refuse to stop visiting her.
Thanks for your insights! I'm glad I'm not alone...
Old Dec 2, 2014, 1:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP; Hilton Gold (Citi Card); Priority Pass (Citi Prestige); Nexus/Global Entry/TSA Pre
How is this possible?

http://www.globaltravelerusa.com/2014-gt-tested-awards/

Best Airline in North America - Alaska not even in the top 10 (Delta #3)

Best Frequent Flyer Customer Service, Americas - Alaska not even in the top 10 (Delta #1)

Best Overall FF Program - Alaska #4, Delta #2

etc, etc

What is Alaska doing wrong to be consistently beaten by Delta?
Old Dec 2, 2014, 6:26 pm
ANC

Originally Posted by Earendel
How is this possible?

http://www.globaltravelerusa.com/2014-gt-tested-awards/

Best Airline in North America - Alaska not even in the top 10 (Delta #3)

Best Frequent Flyer Customer Service, Americas - Alaska not even in the top 10 (Delta #1)

Best Overall FF Program - Alaska #4, Delta #2

etc, etc

What is Alaska doing wrong to be consistently beaten by Delta?
It would appear that survey and study is primarily a worldwide study or global study as the site is even named. For the scope of that survey, AS is pretty small fry. So depending on the survey pool it would make sense why AS doesnt show up much on it. Outside of the PNW and to a smaller extent the west coast line of the US, they really arent that well known. The legacy US carriers have hubs at both ends of the country and top to bottom as well as international prescence. That study/survey is somewhat apples to oranges
Old Dec 2, 2014, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by ANC
It would appear that survey and study is primarily a worldwide study or global study as the site is even named. For the scope of that survey, AS is pretty small fry. So depending on the survey pool it would make sense why AS doesnt show up much on it. Outside of the PNW and to a smaller extent the west coast line of the US, they really arent that well known. The legacy US carriers have hubs at both ends of the country and top to bottom as well as international prescence. That study/survey is somewhat apples to oranges
And look how well the craphole called UA did. And look at the American Airlines Ambassador's Club lounge ranking. In fact, what is an AA Ambassador's Club. This was the TW lounge name, no? The survey is crap.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 11:44 am

Programs: AS MVP; Hilton Gold (Citi Card); Priority Pass (Citi Prestige); Nexus/Global Entry/TSA Pre
Seriously, though. I find it hard to believe that Frontier is in the top 10 NA airlines, but Alaska is not. There is something fundamentally flawed with the survey. Surely Alaska has equal name recognition as Frontier. And then there is Porter - I have never heard of them.

Best Airline in North America
1.Air Canada
2.American Airlines
3.Delta Air Lines
4.United Airlines
5.Virgin America
6.JetBlue
7.Frontier Airlines
8.Porter Airlines
9.Southwest Airlines
Old Dec 8, 2014, 11:01 am

Porter is Canadian and operates out of Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa primarily
Old Dec 8, 2014, 12:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E

Originally Posted by crimsona
Porter is Canadian and operates out of Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa primarily
Eh?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 4:49 pm
ANC

anybody have any experiences good or bad with the "high sierra" rollaboard back pack? My old Ogio which I really like a lot has about 100K flight miles on it and is starting to show the wear of travel and occasionally has a zipper malfunction. Id replace it with another OGIO but Im not finding one that holds a day or 2 worth a clothes along with a compartment for bose head phones and a lap top

Last edited by ANC; Dec 9, 2014 at 4:54 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.