Old Nov 22, 2012, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
Welcome to the -- a place to just relax and have some fun. Stop in and see what's happening!

Print Wikipost

The Alaska Airlines Bored Room

Old Sep 1, 2014, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jackal
Maybe to Gulkana.

Clearly you and I need to do an Alcan road trip! FlyerTalk Alaska Do 2018: Yukon Edition, anyone?
Oh yeah! Now you're on to something! ^^

Other possibilities for Alaska DOs:

Juneau --> Ferry up to Haines --> Ferry on to Skagway --> Yukon & White Pass Railway --> On to Whitehorse (and maybe Dawson City) for a day or three r/t --> Back to Juneau

Anchorage --> Drive to Valdez (Thai food stop in Glenallen) --> Wrangell - St. Elias Nat'l. Park --> Ferry to Whittier (Glacier Cruise) --> Drive or train up to Anchorage

Last edited by Seat 2A; Sep 1, 2014 at 6:21 pm
Old Sep 1, 2014, 6:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by BOB W
Maybe to Gulkana.

Clearly you and I need to do an Alcan road trip! FlyerTalk Alaska Do 2018: Yukon Edition, anyone?
That is a possibility since I will be retired by then.

Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

If it involves Canada...
Who among us has a problem getting into Canada?
Well I haven't been
Old Sep 1, 2014, 6:25 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

Anchorage --> Drive to Valdez (Thai food stop in Glenallen) --> Wrangell - St. Elias Nat'l. Park --> Ferry to Whittier (Glacier Cruise) --> Drive or train up to Anchorage
This could be done in 2015^^

With a stop at Lake Louise (the Alaska one)
Old Sep 1, 2014, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

Juneau --> Ferry up to Haines --> Ferry on to Skagway --> Yukon & White Pass Railway --> On to Whitehorse (and maybe Dawson City) for a day or three r/t --> Back to Juneau

Originally Posted by BOB W
This could be done in 2015^^

With a stop at Lake Louise (the Alaska one)
Don't think these haven't crossed (Carcrossed?) my mind.

The challenges of finding a form of transportation that would work are not insignificant, given that most rental agencies in Alaska have issues with vehicles going into Canada, and 12-passenger vans aren't easy to come by outside of Anchorage. Also, the logistics of getting everyone into Canada and all that are something to be considered. Maybe I should require everyone have Nexus cards? Maybe arranging a package with a tour agency/cruise line that has a bus going that direction would be the way to go, thus freeing me from all that hassle and paperwork (something that was blissfully absent at this year's Do ).

That all said, I think the scenery between Haines and Haines Junction as well as along Kluane Lake south of Destruction Bay is some of the most incredible scenery on earth and very much worth sharing with enthusiastic FlyerTalkers. Dawson City, too, is definitely worth a visit.

The Anchorage-Whittier-Valdez-Glennallen-Anchorage trip (with the stunning scenery of Thompson Pass) is also one that I've long thought we should do. It's probably going to happen much sooner than anything involving Canada. Maybe we'll toss in Cordova and a trip out to the Million Dollar Bridge, too. (That's one of the few roads in the state I haven't been on.)

Also, if we're going to turn the Alaska Dos into Alaska Road Trip Dos, we might as well consider a drive to Deadhorse while we're at it.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 9:24 pm

Don't think these haven't crossed (Carcrossed?) my mind.

The challenges of finding a form of transportation that would work are not insignificant, given that most rental agencies in Alaska have issues with vehicles going into Canada, and 12-passenger vans aren't easy to come by outside of Anchorage. Also, the logistics of getting everyone into Canada and all that are something to be considered. Maybe I should require everyone have Nexus cards? Maybe arranging a package with a tour agency/cruise line that has a bus going that direction would be the way to go, thus freeing me from all that hassle and paperwork (something that was blissfully absent at this year's Do ).

That all said, I think the scenery between Haines and Haines Junction as well as along Kluane Lake south of Destruction Bay is some of the most incredible scenery on earth and very much worth sharing with enthusiastic FlyerTalkers. Dawson City, too, is definitely worth a visit.

The Anchorage-Whittier-Valdez-Glennallen-Anchorage trip (with the stunning scenery of Thompson Pass) is also one that I've long thought we should do. It's probably going to happen much sooner than anything involving Canada. Maybe we'll toss in Cordova and a trip out to the Million Dollar Bridge, too. (That's one of the few roads in the state I haven't been on.)

Also, if we're going to turn the Alaska Dos into Alaska Road Trip Dos, we might as well consider a drive to Deadhorse while we're at it.
Seems to me that most of them have involved road trips. Denali National Park, Seward, Homer, Teller, all over Kodiak, etc. Monitor coined the term "Scenic Overload" to describe Alaska on the trip back from Seward. And, the Glenn Highway has been designated a Scenic Highway, one of the few in the nation, which we would take on the Valdez-Glenallen route.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 9:59 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Just got told by a GA in LAS "fine, next time we won't upgrade you, [bad word]" when I asked if I could please not gate check my small rollaboard for no reason. Nice.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 10:47 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Sounder
Just got told by a GA in LAS "fine, next time we won't upgrade you, [bad word]" when I asked if I could please not gate check my small rollaboard for no reason. Nice.
Labor Day blues will make people say stupid things for no reason.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 9:41 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Looking for red wine advice?

So, BOB W?? should I bring up some red wine for my upcoming trip to Anchorage, or.. cannot I get some decent reds in Anchorage? (perhaps at a slightly higher price than what I get down here in Seattle)

The answer will determine if I check a bag or not. We are going to a gathering near Eagle River on Sat night, but the host is very much into Vodka from Russia, not so much into red wine. I am thinking of bringing up some of my own stock, but if I can purchase for a decent price something up there I would prefer to do that. (thinking that I would only bring up my good stuff if I ever had a chance to meet you guys in person)
Old Sep 3, 2014, 9:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E

Hey I'm in Eagle River!
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by ctporter
So, BOB W?? should I bring up some red wine for my upcoming trip to Anchorage, or.. cannot I get some decent reds in Anchorage? (perhaps at a slightly higher price than what I get down here in Seattle)
You will find a good selection at the Brown Jug liquor stores, Fred Meyers and Carr's also have stand alone liquor stores inside their grocery stores. I have not noticed their pricing being much different than the Lower 48, so don't bring any with you would be my vote.

They open at 10 AM except Sunday. Then it is noon.

When will you be here?
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:49 pm

Ohh, GOOD to know! (had a suspision that might be the case, but wanted to check! there has been many mentions here about bringing back stuff from the lower 48)

I am hoping to get down to the Moose's Tooth pizza joint during my meeting, not sure if it will be Mon or Tues yet. Anyone up for a meeting if it can be arranged?

(it is so odd, feeling as if I know most of you despite never having met!) which btw, reminds me, if anyone needs guesting into the AK boardroom on Thurs, Sept 11 between 1PM and 3PM let me know
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:54 pm

Hey I'm in Eagle River!
Hey Bekoa, if you (or any FT that is in ANC) is open to coming over to the Captain Cooks hotel from 9/7 thru 9/10 let me know, I will buy a drink if that is, you don't mind hanging out with a bunch of electrical folks
Old Sep 4, 2014, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by ctporter

Hey I'm in Eagle River!
Hey Bekoa, if you (or any FT that is in ANC) is open to coming over to the Captain Cooks hotel from 9/7 thru 9/10 let me know, I will buy a drink if that is, you don't mind hanging out with a bunch of electrical folks
Is it a BYO NEC affair?
Old Sep 4, 2014, 7:23 am

Is it a BYO NEC affair?
Well, it is an NEC affair, but not a BYO at the hotel I am thinking.
We always seem to congregate at the bar in the evenings
Old Sep 8, 2014, 10:00 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
For those at SEA today - UA's first 787-9 is sitting at the UA hangar by the North cargo port.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.