Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2012, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
Welcome to the -- a place to just relax and have some fun. Stop in and see what's happening!

Print Wikipost

The Alaska Airlines Bored Room

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2008, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
OK, so I found a PDF with a description of the events (it's a PDF copy of the actual Fur Rondy guidebook available around town).

Hmm...how many reindeer sausages can you eat in 10 minutes? (Anyone want to compete? )

Rondy SnoCross could be interesting...

And I'm definitely going to the BBQ competition.

Still, too bad most of the really fun events are over...hope y'all enjoyed them...
Old Feb 26, 2008, 3:21 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Food question of the day....

And it's probably somewhat fitting as this is the Alaska (Airlines)Forum.

Bought some Wild Alaska Cod today that looked pretty good. Pricey but not as pricey as Halibut. And I was glad it was wild as there's nothing worse than tame Cod.

But in looking at the package a bit closer, it said:

Wild Alaska Cod

Product of China

Now I ask you:

Is this a wild Alaska Cod that somehow wandered into Chinese territorial waters and was taken prisoner??

And how is it exactly that they determine it's from Alaska?

Or perhaps this is a marketing ploy by those inscrutable Chinese who felt that Wild Alaska Cod sounds better and would sell better in the US than Wild Chinese Cod??

The whole thing sounds a bit fishy to me.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 3:35 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Didn't you know that China bought Alaska?
Old Feb 26, 2008, 3:37 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by Cholula
And it's probably somewhat fitting as this is the Alaska (Airlines)Forum.

Bought some Wild Alaska Cod today that looked pretty good. Pricey but not as pricey as Halibut. And I was glad it was wild as there's nothing worse than tame Cod.

But in looking at the package a bit closer, it said:

Wild Alaska Cod

Product of China

Now I ask you:

Is this a wild Alaska Cod that somehow wandered into Chinese territorial waters and was taken prisoner??

And how is it exactly that they determine it's from Alaska?

Or perhaps this is a marketing ploy by those inscrutable Chinese who felt that Wild Alaska Cod sounds better and would sell better in the US than Wild Chinese Cod??

The whole thing sounds a bit fishy to me.
Oh, those boats go all over the place. My guess is that it is from a Chinese fishing vessel in the North Pacific somewhere. Is this a Trader Joe's product by any chance?
Old Feb 26, 2008, 4:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by spgaston
Oh, those boats go all over the place. My guess is that it is from a Chinese fishing vessel in the North Pacific somewhere. Is this a Trader Joe's product by any chance?
It was from Albertson's actually.

But you bring up an interesting point. Is it legal for a Chinese fishing vessel to fish close enough to the US to catch what they can "legally" call Alaskan Cod? Or maybe there aren't any binding regulations on what you can call Alaskan Cod.

Although I spent my entire adult life working in various parts of the food business, I know next to nothing about the vagaries of the seafood business. They have an entirely different set of grading standards, rules, regulations and the like compared to the meat and poultry business.

I'll report in here later as to whether it tasted like it was from China or Alaska.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cholula
But you bring up an interesting point. Is it legal for a Chinese fishing vessel to fish close enough to the US to catch what they can "legally" call Alaskan Cod? Or maybe there aren't any binding regulations on what you can call Alaskan Cod.
I'm not sure which agency enforces the "Wild Alaskan," er, "appellations" (for lack of a better term), and/or what specific verbiage is protected. I'd investigate, except that I never buy prepackaged/processed fish. My pecking order for good Alaskan fish is thus:

1. Properly cooked and consumed at a good restaurant (no self-respecting Alaskan restaurant serves anything other than fresh Alaskan fish). One of my faves: Simon and Seafort's halibut cheeks, braised in a beurre blanc sauce and served with buttered, sauteed asparagus...mmm...

2. Obtained from generous friends who fish

3. Fresh-frozen at Costco (cheap!)

4. Fresh-frozen at other grocery stores (someday will have to try New Sagaya--they're a bit pricier but probably better than Fred's or Carrs)

5. Caught myself (what can I say...freezing in rainy weather in a boat on choppy seas is NOT my idea of a good time...)

I very, very rarely get past #1 and NEVER get past #2. I can count half of one hand the number if times I've done 3, 4 and 5. (Even #2 is rare, since I rarely cook--hey, I'm a lazy college student...)

I do seem to recall finding out recently that a lot of Alaskan-caught fish is processed in Asia. Apparently, it's cheaper to ship it over and process it there and ship it back because of the much lower cost of labor. I believe it's still caught in Alaskan waters and by Alaskan fishermen, though, but I'm FAR from an expert in these matters...

Surely there's an FTer around who commercial fished at one point in his/her life and knows the industry and procedure...?
Old Feb 26, 2008, 4:30 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Where's the reindeer sausage?
First day, sittin' in da lounge in my shorts drinkin' some WA wine (I know TMI) wishing I was still in MCO. The sausage plate was most excellent since it came from my freezer. Caribou actually, just a little spicy.

Let me know when you're around & I'll get out some more.

Looks like it's going to be a fun place to visit!!!
Old Feb 26, 2008, 4:42 pm

[QUOTE=jackal;9318510]Hmm...how many reindeer sausages can you eat in 10 minutes? (Anyone want to compete? )QUOTE]

I'll take that bet, but remember that I have had many more years of practice than most.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by jackal
I'm not sure which agency enforces the "Wild Alaskan," er, "appellations" (for lack of a better term), and/or what specific verbiage is protected. I'd investigate, except that I never buy prepackaged/processed fish. My pecking order for good Alaskan fish is thus:

1. Properly cooked and consumed at a good restaurant (no self-respecting Alaskan restaurant serves anything other than fresh Alaskan fish). One of my faves: Simon and Seafort's halibut cheeks, braised in a beurre blanc sauce
The halibut stuffed with crab is awesome also. Definitely worth the price.

I do seem to recall finding out recently that a lot of Alaskan-caught fish is processed in Asia. Apparently, it's cheaper to ship it over and process it there and ship it back because of the much lower cost of labor. I believe it's still caught in Alaskan waters and by Alaskan fishermen, though, but I'm FAR from an expert in these matters.
You are correct. A lot of our fish goes east for processing before it hits our stores. King crab goes south to be processed (mostly in the SEA area) before being shipped back up.

Just be careful when ordering fish, especially salmon. Most restaurants will try to foist off farmed salmon. They do that with a lot of species, tilapia, trout, catfish, etc. I try to avoid farmed fish on principle. I actually had a waiter apologize to my party at Mesa Grill at Caesars Las Vegas in January for having to try to sell farmed salmon to Alaskans. Way not cool......
Old Feb 26, 2008, 5:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
My pecking order for good Alaskan fish is thus:

1. Properly cooked and consumed at a good restaurant (no self-respecting Alaskan restaurant serves anything other than fresh Alaskan fish). One of my faves: Simon and Seafort's halibut cheeks, braised in a beurre blanc sauce and served with buttered, sauteed asparagus...mmm...

2. Obtained from generous friends who fish

3. Fresh-frozen at Costco (cheap!)

4. Fresh-frozen at other grocery stores (someday will have to try New Sagaya--they're a bit pricier but probably better than Fred's or Carrs)

5. Caught myself (what can I say...freezing in rainy weather in a boat on 5.choppy seas is NOT my idea of a good time...)

I very, very rarely get past #1 and NEVER get past #2. I can count half of one hand the number if times I've done 3, 4 and 5. (Even #2 is rare, since I rarely cook--hey, I'm a lazy college student...)
Interesting pecking order... but I'm dismayed at how low "caught myself" is on your list... and you call yourself an Alaskan =) Moreover, what is a "college student" doing in Simon & Seaforts? I've been there once (very nice place) and that was for my graduation from HS. Is there a "student discount" or something.

Here's my preferred listing:

1. Caught myself (Fresh from the ocean, sea, river, bay, dock, or dug up from a mudflat) I pride myself in this! Subsistence is the way to go though, much more efficient than recreational..

2. From the rest of my family, fresh caught fish

3. Generous friends that have an abundance of fresh seafood

4. Wherever else my parents get the fish (When I'm back home)

5. Restaurants (Usually stick with meat since I don't have the best of luck with seafood... especially my first trip to Moses Lake (shudder) when we stopped in Ellensburg and I ordered a seafood pasta... I was young and naive and figured that the seafood would be just like in Alaska... big mistake~!
(One exception to the Restaurants is the Double Musky in Girdwood! Love everything there!)

-(infinity). From the college's cafeteria. (Usually won't touch the fish, especially farm raised Atlantic)

And I can relate to not cooking... my biggest obstacle (other then getting fresh ingredients) is sharing a communal kitchen with about 200 others... yuck!
Old Feb 26, 2008, 5:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by BOB W
Just be careful when ordering fish, especially salmon. Most restaurants will try to foist off farmed salmon. They do that with a lot of species, tilapia, trout, catfish, etc. I try to avoid farmed fish on principle. I actually had a waiter apologize to my party at Mesa Grill at Caesars Las Vegas in January for having to try to sell farmed salmon to Alaskans. Way not cool......
Good Job keeping them Honest!

I too have disdain for farmed fish... I'm sure its not healthy to have "color added" to the product for consumption...

In 7th Grade we had a taste test between the two in Biology and a debate... Teacher did a good job cooking it up... but its not the same... Big identifier is at least Atlantic (not sure if its just farmed or Atlantic in general) have wider flakes of meat when compared to Pacific Wild.

Glad to see you postin' again too!
Old Feb 26, 2008, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The halibut stuffed with crab is awesome also. Definitely worth the price.
I'm not a huge crab fan, so I found it good but I still prefer the halibut cheeks.
Yeah...but that's usually not a problem up here, is it? I think a restaurant would go out of business up here if it tried that! I think you meant specifically when ordering at restaurants in the Lower 48...

My mom grew up in California and never liked salmon because of its "fishy" taste. After we moved up here, it took a lot of coaxing from friends up here for her to try real, fresh salmon, which to her surprise didn't have a fishy taste!

FWIW, I do enjoy the occasional salmon, but I'm really a halibut kind of guy. Simon's is always good for a treat, but I've actually had a hard time finding more down-to-earth fish 'n' chips in Anchorage. Momma O's is pretty good. (Believe it or not, I've never had Humpy's.) The fish bake at Pioneer Park/Alaskaland in Fairbanks actually did pretty good fish...
Old Feb 26, 2008, 5:26 pm

OK, so I found a PDF with a description of the events (it's a PDF copy of the actual Fur Rondy guidebook available around town).

Hmm...how many reindeer sausages can you eat in 10 minutes? (Anyone want to compete? )
Where's the reindeer sausage?
First day, sittin' in da lounge in my shorts drinkin' some WA wine (I know TMI) wishing I was still in MCO. The sausage plate was most excellent since it came from my freezer. Caribou actually, just a little spicy.
I'll take that bet, but remember that I have had many more years of practice than most.
You're on!

And Spicy Caribou sounds great! I love the stuff! (Last year I had a tube of Moose in my mini-fridge's freezer I would gnaw on occasionally to keep me eligible for the PFD)
Old Feb 26, 2008, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beckoa
Interesting pecking order... but I'm dismayed at how low "caught myself" is on your list... and you call yourself an Alaskan =) Moreover, what is a "college student" doing in Simon & Seaforts? I've been there once (very nice place) and that was for my graduation from HS. Is there a "student discount" or something.
Yeah, but you're from somewhere around Kenai, aren't you? (Ninilchik? Nikiski? Kasilof? I thought I remembered you mentioning something somewhere else...) You're a Real Alaskan™. I'm an Anchoragite. Big difference.

No student discount, but I do work full time, and a big chunk of those checks go towards good food. I'm currently trying to reduce my food expenditures, however. It's not succeeding very much, though...
Old Feb 26, 2008, 5:30 pm

Yeah, but you're from somewhere around Kenai, aren't you? (Ninilchik? Nikiski?) You're a Real Alaskan™. I'm an Anchoragite. Big difference.

No student discount, but I do work full time, and a big chunk of those checks go towards good food. I'm currently trying to reduce my food expenditures, however. It's not succeeding very much, though...
Eagle Riverite! Glad to get the ™ though! So I'm actually further away from the Peninsula then yourself-... but do spend a fair amount of time down there anyways, harder with employment though. But you're right... Anchorage is a little... cityish!

I know the feeling on expenditures... between "eating out" and the now too frequent MR (or just trip, since it costs soo much to fly out of PUW!)... My summer savings are draining fast!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.