Old Nov 22, 2012, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
Welcome to the -- a place to just relax and have some fun. Stop in and see what's happening!

Print Wikipost

The Alaska Airlines Bored Room

Old Apr 14, 2008, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by beckoa
If someone from AS could leave open that loophole the next time ANC-SEA fares are filed, that would be !
Wow...fat chance of that...but I'll give you credit for dreaming big!
Old Apr 18, 2008, 12:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
(Partial bump so jackal knows where this is...

Who else is going to OGG on AS' new service

So far I know of 2 in Aug...

jackal
beckoa

Anyone else snag a seat yet?
Old Apr 18, 2008, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

jackal
beckoa

Did anyone get a seat on the inaug flight? Don't rub in what we're missing too much...
Old Apr 18, 2008, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cheerwine...

Well, if I hadn't found hometownfavorites.com, I'd definitely be taking you up on your friend's offer. But it's so cheap there ($3 for a 6-pack, $6.50 for a 12-pack--yes, two six packs are cheaper than one 12 pack--and shipping's ridiculously cheap--my friend drinks soda by the case daily and is going to order like 16 6-packs and I'm going to tag on an order for four six packs just to see if I like it. (I was originally going to order two 12-packs, but since it's cheaper to do 4 six-packs...)

He's also going to order a bunch of other stuff he misses from the east coast, so the order's going to be gargantuan.

One thing--the shipping on such a huge order is so ridiculously cheap that I'm almost wondering if they're going to stop the order and make us pay more for shipping. (Parcel Post is cheap but not that cheap...) If that happens, I might be posting back to ask if your friend can at least bring me one six-pack for me to taste...
Old Apr 18, 2008, 6:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by jackal
Cheerwine...

Well, if I hadn't found hometownfavorites.com, I'd definitely be taking you up on your friend's offer. But it's so cheap there ($3 for a 6-pack, $6.50 for a 12-pack--yes, two six packs are cheaper than one 12 pack--and shipping's ridiculously cheap--my friend drinks soda by the case daily and is going to order like 16 6-packs and I'm going to tag on an order for four six packs just to see if I like it. (I was originally going to order two 12-packs, but since it's cheaper to do 4 six-packs...)

He's also going to order a bunch of other stuff he misses from the east coast, so the order's going to be gargantuan.

One thing--the shipping on such a huge order is so ridiculously cheap that I'm almost wondering if they're going to stop the order and make us pay more for shipping. (Parcel Post is cheap but not that cheap...) If that happens, I might be posting back to ask if your friend can at least bring me one six-pack for me to taste...
The map doesn't even have the State of Alaska on it... or HI for that matter

Cool site though... looking through @ the options now.

Great site... lets me see some unique sodas I'll have to try on the East Coast!

Last edited by beckoa; Apr 18, 2008 at 6:59 am Reason: unique soda possiblities...
Old Apr 18, 2008, 6:45 am

Location: Vancouver (Not BC), WA (Not DC)...I'm in a PDX flight path.
Programs: Elite peon; MR Gold; HH Silver; BW Diamond (status match)
Cheerwine...

Nice! Let's hope it works, and if it doesn't, let me know and I'll go to Moxie's.

Have you tried Dublin Dr Pepper out of Texas? They're the only Dr Pepper bottler still using Imperial cane sugar instead of HFCS.

(Also, slightly OT, but I'm sorta on the subject anyway--I never did get in touch with Moxie's on Main, but we've found Cheerwine at hometownfavorites.com for awesome prices--AND they ship USPS Parcel Post, which means we can get practically a pallet of stuff shipped for $50 instead of the $150 UPS Ground wants! But thanks for the offer to look...)
...I'm not afraid to bring this part over here...)

I need to go to Moxie's anyway, since they have this one lemonade-soda concotion that I LOVE (I can't remember the name of it, but when I see it, I'll remember it).

And no, I haven't tried the Dublin Dr. Pepper. I'll have to remember to search that one out.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 11:48 am

Programs: AS MVPG
ANC-OGG in NOV

jackal
beckoa

Headed to OGG with mr. meej in Nov. Could have flown inaug outof ANC but opted for later trip due to work issues. Have to fly HNL-ANC since we can't get out of OGG till friday. Still saves two inter-island tix and $60/seat on the way down. No U available when we booked ANC-OGG. Bummer.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by meej
Headed to OGG with mr. meej in Nov. Could have flown inaug outof ANC but opted for later trip due to work issues. Have to fly HNL-ANC since we can't get out of OGG till friday. Still saves two inter-island tix and $60/seat on the way down. No U available when we booked ANC-OGG. Bummer.
No U avail either... was there initially, but again scheduling issues prevented booking immediately. Hopin' for UG's anyway, since AS F service to Hawaii is excellent!
Old Apr 18, 2008, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No U avail either... was there initially, but again scheduling issues prevented booking immediately. Hopin' for UG's anyway, since AS F service to Hawaii is excellent!
Well, I'm holding out hope--U is zeroed out, but there are lots of revenue F seats for sale. That might actually help, as it prevents people from booking Value/Full Flex fares and immediately confirming an upgrade...they may end up releasing some U seats just in time for complimentary upgrades!
Old Apr 20, 2008, 10:22 am

Concord in FAI?

Didn't realize BA's bird made it that far north....
Old Apr 22, 2008, 9:34 am

Having fun with VX...

Wandered into the VX forum today... (not sure exactly why)... and found eponymous_coward posted an interesting comment about AS' ORD service... so I couldn't resist having a bit of fun on my own

Also... any word on Cheerwine jackal if the order went through or not?
Old Apr 22, 2008, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wandered into the VX forum today... (not sure exactly why)... and found eponymous_coward posted an interesting comment about AS' ORD service... so I couldn't resist having a bit of fun on my own

Also... any word on Cheerwine jackal if the order went through or not?
The order has been placed by a friend of mine, and he hasn't emailed yet to tell me they've called and denied the order (nearly free shipping on what must be over 200 pounds of soda?!).

To pay for my portion of the Cheerwine, I ordered my friend Sturgis beef jerky out of South Dakota--confirmed by two independent people as the best jerky in the world--and got myself a few packs of jerky to go along with it.

It'll be like Christmas here in a few more days!!!
Old Apr 23, 2008, 11:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: ALASKA AIRLINES MVP GOLD AND UNITED AIR LINES 100K FLYER
Cool (OT) Alaska politics blog

Maybe you need to know the guy to understand why this is so funny, but this "Ethan Berkowitz" blog made me laugh out loud.
Old May 14, 2008, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, I'm getting ready to don the flame suit, but I wanted to share a quote made by someone else over in the AGR forum:

Originally Posted by davidavid237
This was only my second time riding Amtrak and I am sold. What an enjoyable, easy way to travel. And for trips like PDX-SEA I find it totally practical, and it was [I]far[I] less expensive than flying.
If you'd like to see the quote in context and my Amtrak-advocating reply, click the little arrow next to the poster's handle above.

So, from the folks who fly above The Slog regularly, have you tried the Cascades service? What do you think? Do you find it impractical, or do you agree with davidavid237?

And am I nuts for posting this here?
Old May 16, 2008, 7:21 pm

And am I nuts for posting this here?
Yes

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.