Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Lounges - in Vancouver, and Puerta Vallarta

Old May 6, 2006, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum

The other day, I gave my sister and her family (for a total of 4 people) four Alaska Airlines lounge passes. They live in Vancouver, and they will fly to Puerta Vallarta this August, on Alaska Airlines.

The first question is whether there is a lounge in Puerta Vallarta. Obviously, there is a lounge in Vancouver. The next question is how would one desribe the lounges in Vancouver, and in Puerta Vallarta (if there is one there)? IF they had to choose between the 2 lounges, which one should they choose?

How do the Alaska Airline lounges (I do not fly on Alaska Airlines - I just happened to buy the lounge passes) compare with those of Air Canada, RCC, or other lounges of various US airlines?
Old May 6, 2006, 11:48 am

Alaska doesn't have a Board Room in Puerto Vallarta so, by extension, the Vancouver BR is much nicer!

In my opinion, the BR tends to be quite similar to other airlines' lounges.

Let us know what they think!
Old May 6, 2006, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by DuckDuckSwan
Alaska doesn't have a Board Room in Puerto Vallarta so, by extension, the Vancouver BR is much nicer!

In my opinion, the BR tends to be quite similar to other airlines' lounges.

Let us know what they think!
Thank you, for the information.

In terms of Air Canada's Maple Leaf Lounge, there are PC computers in the lounge. The alcohol is complementary. There are usually a lot more newspapers and magazines found in the MLL, than in most lounges of various US lounges (I have been in the UA, US, Delta, and American lounges).

PS-Presumably, they would have to transit at LAX (are SEA or SFO other transit options?) -so the lounge there is also an option. How is the LAX lounge, compared to the Vancouver lounge?
Old May 6, 2006, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Thumbs up

If you have BoardRoom passes they are valid the ENTIRE DAY and so can be used in YVR and in SEA, SFO or LAX; just let the lounge staff at YVR know. The AS lounges are nicely set up and there are usually some newspapers milling about. Snacks usually include cheese and veggies along with crackers and cookies. Morning features bagels, cream cheese and jams. SEA and LAX feature a cappuccino machine, not sure re: YVR.

Alcoholic drinks are free from a limited menu, others are charged. In theory there is a 3 drink limit per visit which is usually not an issue for me. There are no free computers in Boardrooms but YVR and LAX do have free Wi-FI as does SEA. Not sure about SFO. SFO is the least attractive of the Boardrooms even after recent renos. The staff are MUCH nicer than any MLL ^

Hope they enjoy the hospitality!
Old May 7, 2006, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

First time I have heard of lounge passes valid for more than 1 lounge! Do any other airlines offer lounge passes that are valid for the whole day?
Old May 7, 2006, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
American is another one that I am aware of.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
The other day, I gave my sister and her family (for a total of 4 people) four Alaska Airlines lounge passes. They live in Vancouver, and they will fly to Puerta Vallarta this August, on Alaska Airlines.

The first question is whether there is a lounge in Puerta Vallarta. Obviously, there is a lounge in Vancouver. The next question is how would one desribe the lounges in Vancouver, and in Puerta Vallarta (if there is one there)? IF they had to choose between the 2 lounges, which one should they choose?

How do the Alaska Airline lounges (I do not fly on Alaska Airlines - I just happened to buy the lounge passes) compare with those of Air Canada, RCC, or other lounges of various US airlines?
No AS lounge in PVR but there is a private VIP lounge that accepts Priority Pass should you have that.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:22 am

Hi -

My understanding is that the AS passes (such as those given to a 75K are only valid at AS - operated boardrooms in ANC/SEA/PDX/LAX.

YVR is a contract lounge -- those certs are not valid there.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:51 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
No AS lounges in either YVR or PVR. As the above posters said, the pass can only be used at AS Boardrooms, not partner or third party lounges.

However, since the original post is from 2006, I am guessing they may have travelled already.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by sdix
No AS lounge in PVR but there is a private VIP lounge that accepts Priority Pass should you have that.
You resurrected a 9 year old thread to suggest an alternative to the OP for a trip in August of 2006?
Old Aug 3, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
You resurrected a 9 year old thread to suggest an alternative to the OP for a trip in August of 2006?
Kudos for the timely advice, everyone in the thread. I'm sure the OP was TOTALLY talking about a trip nine years from when the post was made.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
The Priority Pass lounge at PVR I guess is better than nothing, but not much to write home about....kinda cramped and virtually nothing is self-service so even if you want a Coke or some chips, you have to have it "served" to you. I love the Centurion Lounges mainly for the food, but can't stand the fact that none of them have a self-service soda machine like AS Board room lounges....I usually end up drinking water in the Centurion Lounges since I don't feel like going to the bar every time I want a Sprite Zero
Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:14 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
Even though this has been rehashed fm the past so many years ago, it's funny how nothing has changed. The (previously AS) lounge in YVR is still better than any AS lounge and always has good food (I frequent it every couple of months) and the lounge at PV won't let us in still (I tried in May). The disappointing one was last week I finally took the long hike to the Cathay lounge at SFO and all they had were chips and soft drinks. Not worth the hike.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by Waitlisted
Even though this has been rehashed fm the past so many years ago, it's funny how nothing has changed. The (previously AS) lounge in YVR is still better than any AS lounge and always has good food (I frequent it every couple of months) and the lounge at PV won't let us in still (I tried in May). The disappointing one was last week I finally took the long hike to the Cathay lounge at SFO and all they had were chips and soft drinks. Not worth the hike.
If you happen to be there within 3 (or 2?) hours of the Hong Kong departures, the Cathay lounge will have the kitchen running and such.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Kudos for the timely advice, everyone in the thread. I'm sure the OP was TOTALLY talking about a trip nine years from when the post was made.
You people are never happy. I was looking to see if there was any information on lounges in PVR prior to my trip. This is all I found so updated it on my return.

Guess I could have started a new thread and got yelled at for not searching for old threads.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.