Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Sign in using an external account

Old Oct 29, 04, 8:05 am   #1
Moderator Communications Coordinator

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Alaska Airlines Visa Canada Card

Beginning Nov 1, our friends in Canada now have the opportunity to apply for and carry the Alaska Airlines Visa card. The new Visa Canada card will be available in Classic or Platinum and the cards will carry the exact same benefits as our current Classic and Platinum Visa cards.

Canada cardholders will earn one mile for every dollar spent and the $50 Companion Certificate received with the Platinum Canada card will still be in US Dollars.

The applications for the Canada Card will look similar to the applications of the US card with two important differences:

1. The Canada applications will have the Platinum card (instead of Signature) on the front.
2. In the top right hand corner there will be a yellow triangle that says "Canada".

Last edited by missydarlin; Oct 29, 04 at 8:12 am.. Reason: forgot the date
missydarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 04, 11:25 am   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by missydarlin
Beginning Nov 1, our friends in Canada now have the opportunity to apply for and carry the Alaska Airlines Visa card. The new Visa Canada card will be available in Classic or Platinum and the cards will carry the exact same benefits as our current Classic and Platinum Visa cards.

Canada cardholders will earn one mile for every dollar spent and the $50 Companion Certificate received with the Platinum Canada card will still be in US Dollars.

The applications for the Canada Card will look similar to the applications of the US card with two important differences:

1. The Canada applications will have the Platinum card (instead of Signature) on the front.
2. In the top right hand corner there will be a yellow triangle that says "Canada".
Hey Missy, Great news for our Canadian friends. You indicted mile/dollar. Is that 1 mile per Canadian dollar spent? That sounds like a heck of a deal! Still issued by BofA, or a Canadian bank? And I assume that as Canadians have had difficulty getting the US version, that US folks would probably face the same challanges with the Canadian version.
johnp012001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 04, 11:42 am   #3

Which bank will be issuing these, do you know? Also, I don't see any information on the Alaska website about these, when might it be available, do you think? I am wondering about annual fee, etc.

Thank you for details!
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 04, 1:45 pm   #4
Moderator Communications Coordinator

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
I don't have any of the details. I'm sure they'll be posted on the website starting Monday.
missydarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 04, 2:38 pm   #5

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Everything will be in Canadian currency, except the $50.00 companion pass. Its still going to be offered by Bank of America.
wishIwasflyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 04, 8:22 pm   #6

Programs: AC*E50 A3*G, QF-WP1, CX-Gold, SPG*Plat, HH*Gold, Accor*Plat
Wow.. This card sounds just as good as the new Canadian SPG visa - sign-up bonuses galore!
YYCOllie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 04, 8:54 pm   #7

Programs: Starwood Platinum; Marriot Rewards Silver; Alaska Air Miles
Sweet! I've been waiting for this for over a year. Sign me up today . Bye bye to my Royal Bank Avion card .

Any word on the annual fees for it?
BCMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 04, 8:15 am   #8

Programs: LH, AA, BA, AS and *Gold
Great news! I've been waiting for this one for a long while too.

It seems to me that the current AS Signature & Platinum cards both have a $75 USD annual fee & a 5000 mile bonus.
jral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 04, 11:43 am   #9

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AS MVPG, AA ExPlat
This is great news, I was trying for years to come up with a way to get an Alaska miles credit card. I will be applying as soon as they come out!
smilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 04, 11:00 pm   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by missydarlin

Here's the link for details and online application
http://www.bankofamerica.com/creditc...g=alaskacanada
johnp012001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 04, 5:25 am   #11

Programs: Amex Platinum, CX Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Platinum
Hmmm...annual fee is not too bad, $45 for a basic card is as low as it goes for an airline miles card here ($75 for Platinum). I am assuming these are in CAD as it does not say. Currency conversion fee is an outrageous 3%. The latter may be as good a reason as any to pass on this product. No card that I know of charges 3% and 2-2.5% is bad enough!

Will wait for now and work on my Avion. Maybe they'll sweeten the bonus point pot later. Many cards are offering 10,000 here to sign up.
Altaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 04, 11:24 pm   #12

Wow, that was fast!! Online application and it was approved in under a minute. Does anyone know if transferring a balance from an existing card will count mile for dollar like purchases? I'm thinking of transferring something on there, then paying it off immediately.

Thanks

Bev
bevvy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 04, 11:58 pm   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevvy5
Wow, that was fast!! Online application and it was approved in under a minute. Does anyone know if transferring a balance from an existing card will count mile for dollar like purchases? I'm thinking of transferring something on there, then paying it off immediately.

Thanks

Bev
I've never heard of a card that gives miles for balance transfers. I'm pretty sure you'll get miles for purchases only.
rjque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 04, 12:35 am   #14
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjque
I've never heard of a card that gives miles for balance transfers. I'm pretty sure you'll get miles for purchases only.
Well, CIBC Aerogold Visa sometimes sends out cash advance cheques that allow you to get points for using them. So what many people do is write the cheque for the full amount (of max points alloted, ex. 5000) and run to the bank and pay the entire amount off immediately.
YOWkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 04, 7:58 am   #15

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold
Too bad I already signed up for the SPG card.
HyperDude is offline   Reply With Quote