Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What action creates the depature time shown on the website?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2004, 1:01 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

I have been monitoring the departure times of a flight ( AS #208) for several days now that we are taking tomorrow. ( I know...too much time on my hands) Today for instance the web site is showing that the flight left at 8:55... about fifteen minutes late. But when I do the flight tracker feature it shows that it left at 9:45...over an hour late....what is considered the departure time shown on the website? When they leave the gate or the ground.....just curious....
Old Jan 3, 2004, 2:18 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by david4455:
I have been monitoring the departure times of a flight ( AS #208) for several days now that we are taking tomorrow. ( I know...too much time on my hands) Today for instance the web site is showing that the flight left at 8:55... about fifteen minutes late. But when I do the flight tracker feature it shows that it left at 9:45...over an hour late....what is considered the departure time shown on the website? When they leave the gate or the ground.....just curious....</font>
Airlines departure times are from gate push back.
Old Jan 3, 2004, 2:41 pm

And the FlightTracker stuff is based on take-off as reported by the FAA. Thus, departures that get roughly on-time pushback but sit on the ground are "on-time" for reporting purposes, but may be three hours late due to ATC.

Eric
Old Jan 5, 2004, 8:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Elevate, AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
The "Flight Tracker" indeed shows the takeoff and landing times. Note that the takeoff times are usually accurate, but the landing times are estimated and can be quite a bit off, especially if the flight does a downwind leg prior to landing. Once, my friend was flying into OAK and they diverted to SJC due to poor visibility on final approach. "Flight tracker" listed the flight as having landed in OAK!

As far as Alaska's "flight status" is concerned, it shows the departure and arrival times according to when the plane pulls away from the gate and when it arrives at the gate. These times should be accurate to within a few minutes, although sometimes a plane can sit at the gate for quite a while after it has "departed" if the airport is experiencing delays/congestion. To the airline, departure time is when the flight "closes" (when it is ready to push). Also, I've noticed at SEA that the arrival time tends to correspond with when the main cabin door is opened and passengers start to disembark.

Old Jan 5, 2004, 8:13 pm

Actually, to the airline, departure time is when the chocks are removed from in front of the plane and it begins it's push back. It may push back just a few feet and then sit there waiting for different reasons but, according to the airline, it has departed. Arrival is when the chocks are placed in front of the wheels once again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.