Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My First Post -- Mexico Question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2004, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

My First Post -- Mexico Question

Just found this forum and I'm looking forward to reading all the helpful advise!!

One quick question...Does anyone know when Alaska reduces their prices for flight to Cabo? I've gone two years in a row and I'm planning this summers trip, but the prices are $514 right now. I paid $340 last year and was just wondering when they typically lower prices.

Thanks!

Jim
Old Jan 5, 2004, 7:29 pm

First off, welcome to FT. I hope you find FT (and especially the AS board!) to be an educational and entertaining place...the gurus around here have taught me more in 18 months about travel tips and shortcuts than I'd have learned in a lifetime of making mistakes. I've also seen some posts that had me laughing so hard I hurt for a few days afterwards...there are some real gems here.

I'll take a shot at your question and reply that, in a nutshell, the answer is no (unless you work at AS, wink wink). While knowledge abounds here, crystal balls do not (brass ones surface, however, on occasion!).

When I have a specific AS destination in mind, I periodically check fares on the AS website and also check the e-deals as soon as they're posted every Tuesday at 5:00PM. Cabo comes up more frequently than you'd think, even in the winter; the sales listed are usually valid for the next two to four months.

Also, some travel sites (like Travelocity) have features that allow you to enter a limited number of destinations and a fare range you'd be willing to pay, then e-mail you when the fare comes into that specified range (a great feature for lazy types like me) for that destination. AA.com also has this feature, I'm not sure about other individual airline sites.

I also check the Mileage Run forum here at least daily for specials that FT's worldwide "deal ferrets" sniff out regularly; you'd be shocked at some of the unpublished deals that show up there on occasion. Happy hunting!
Old Jan 5, 2004, 7:51 pm

Programs: AS MVP, DL Silv
Jim,

Welcome to FT and the AS forum! If you're not already aware, the Alaska Airlines Platinum Visa card comes in handy for trips like this....the card includes a coupon to take along a companion for $50 (plus a plethora of taxes). This works out well for Mexico, and if you're MVP or MVP/G (or have 10k miles to spare each direction), you can upgrade the companion.

Another option is to book a package through a wholesaler such as Funjet Vacations, GoGo WorldWide Vacations, Pleasant Mexico, Alaska Airlines Vacations, etc. These wholesalers often have a "bulk" rate for travel to Mexico, provided you book a discounted hotel package through them as well. A local travel agent would be a good resource for doing price comparisons. Note that the $50 B of A Visa companion fare is not combinable w/ these packages.

A final option is using something like Expedia's fare watch (or similar name). You can ask Expedia to email you automatically when fares drop in a certain market (ie. SEA-PVR).

Once again, welcome!

------------------
-Steve
FlyerTalk Alaska Airlines Forum Moderator
Old Jan 5, 2004, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the advise. I will log into Expedia and put a watch on the price! I already have the Alaska Visa, which give me the $50 companion ticket, but was still looking for a good rate for me...

Jim
Old Jan 5, 2004, 10:25 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fredmartens:
(unless you work at AS, wink wink) </font>
Flirting will get you nowhere They don't tell us about the sales ahead of time either.

Let me add my welcome jimt.

If you are locked into dates, and depending on when you are travelling you may want to consider paying the fare, and then getting a voucher for the difference if the fare goes down. You may also want to keep in mind while you're watching for the fares to drop that the companion certs are not good with web only fares/sales.

Old Jan 5, 2004, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

/QUOTE]
If you are locked into dates, and depending on when you are travelling you may want to consider paying the fare, and then getting a voucher for the difference if the fare goes down. You may also want to keep in mind while you're watching for the fares to drop that the companion certs are not good with web only fares/sales.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks for the information...this place is GREAT!

Are there limitations on getting the voucher if/when a lower fare becomes available?

From what I know, the web fare is only a $10 discount. Are there other fares on the web site that I couldn't use with my companion ticket?

Jim
Old Jan 5, 2004, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jimt:

From what I know, the web fare is only a $10 discount. Are there other fares on the web site that I couldn't use with my companion ticket?
Jim
</font>
Yes - anything with a fare code on the web site of "W" or "IO" - these are Web Specials and Internet Only fares, and cannot be purchased off-line. Look for an "R" (or even a "U")in that space and you should be good to go with your companion ticket.

And welcome to Flyertalk!

[This message has been edited by rjque (edited Jan 05, 2004).]
Old Jan 5, 2004, 11:00 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by missydarlin:
Flirting will get you nowhere They don't tell us about the sales ahead of time either.</font>
It was that obvious, huh?

Old Jan 5, 2004, 11:55 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jimt:
/QUOTE]
Are there limitations on getting the voucher if/when a lower fare becomes available?

Jim
</font>
If the exact flights that you've purchased are available to someone else for less money when a sale hits, then you can get the difference back in a voucher..or refunded to the original form of payment minus a $50 service fee.

Aside from the $10 web purchase discount, they occasionally post fares that are valid for internet purchase only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.