Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Class of service and Base miles earned clarification on AA flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

I have booked international flights thru AA that I want to credit it to Alaska Mileage Plan.
However, the flight was operated by Cathay Pacific.
When looking at the base miles earned, would I look at the AA or Cathay chart on Alaska website?

Thanks
Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by p321
I have booked international flights thru AA that I want to credit it to Alaska Mileage Plan.
However, the flight was operated by Cathay Pacific.
When looking at the base miles earned, would I look at the AA or Cathay chart on Alaska website?

Thanks
keep your boarding pass as it wont post automatically.
i dont know how to booking class is being mapped, but it should be based on CX.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pbd456
keep your boarding pass as it wont post automatically.
i dont know how to booking class is being mapped, but it should be based on CX.
I have added my Alaska # in the reservation but I am not sure how the mapping is done when it involves 3rd airlines so that I can optimize where to credit the flight.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I have added my Alaska # in the reservation but I am not sure how the mapping is done when it involves 3rd airlines so that I can optimize where to credit the flight.
It's going to be based on the Cathay booking class if it posts to AS. You'll need to send in the boarding pass as mentioned.

If you look up using the CX record locator can you get a booking class there?

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...er-overview:CX
Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

I have the CX record locator. So, the mapping would be based on the airlines that operates the flight instead of where the booking is made?
How about if the flight is a mix between AA and Cathay on the same PNR and I want to credit it to Alaska? Would each leg be mapped differently based on the airlines that operates the flight?
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have the CX record locator. So, the mapping would be based on the airlines that operates the flight instead of where the booking is made?
You wouldn't want it any other way. By rule, AS does not credit when it's AA ticket/AA flight number/CX operated. From my link above:

Flights must fall within the eligible flight number range below, and your flight must be marketed and operated by Cathay Pacific.
AA flight number because AA ticket + CX operated = marketed by AA, operated by CX. No credit.

However, the way it seems to work is you mail in the CX BP, AS credits based on underlying CX fare class. The rule is generally ignored this way.

You're going to want to save your CX BPs and mail in.

Would each leg be mapped differently based on the airlines that operates the flight?
Yes.

Note that after 12/31, AA won't credit at all to AS on domestic segments in the US.

https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-ai...an/aa-updates/

Starting Jan. 1, 2018, you’ll no longer earn Mileage Plan miles on domestic American Airlines flights that are not marketed by Alaska, which includes all flights numbers beginning with airline code “AA”.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 4:46 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
I am curious how AS maps the AA marketed flight on CX...
Old Sep 22, 2017, 5:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I'd check in the CX forum to see how AA coded CX operated flights map over. @:-)
Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CX is in charge of that. It's not like they're going to let someone in deep discount Y get F miles. AA will sell a ticket in whatever booking class they use, CX will map it to one of theirs. AS has nothing to do with it. If AS honors it miles accrued will use the CX booking class. Since OP hasn't said if this is coach, premium economy , business or first, your guess is as good as mine. My guess is coach as AS allows credit for a bunch of booking classes that AA dumps (though an AA ticket may be treated differently, but that is a question for the AA forum I think).

Originally Posted by beckoa
I'd check in the CX forum to see how AA coded CX operated flights map over. @:-)

Yeah, this...

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Sep 22, 2017 at 7:50 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.