New F Seats

Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:23 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
Yeah, pitch is 41" as I understand, so same as the reconfigured planes currently have. Legroom might be slightly better if the new seatback is thinner. Per the article, seat will not have a legrest, but just a fold-out footrest. Probably just a metal bar that folds down from the back of the seat in front of you. Amtrak has this style of footrest on some of the seats on their trains. I find them pretty useless.
Yes, can be seen in the second photo in the article

JAL has them in their PE seats. Sometimes it's ok, other times it's annoying. If it's like that kind, the footrest automatically locks so you have to pull it all the way up to readjust it. Anything blocking it such as a shifted underseat bag makes it more difficult and appear to be jammed.

Originally Posted by beckoa
I dread them. They always seem designed for shorter individuals, and impact leg room negatively.
I wonder about the 20-21" width in the article- is one of the seats narrower? Looks like the center console is less flush than the previous one and intrudes into the leg more. The aisle side appears to be narrower as well so more opportunity to get bumped during boarding. Not sure about the protruding head cushion that precludes a flush seat back.

The whole thing seems to be a PR piece written by a easily snowed reporter. Lots of comparison to coach seating, which is ridiculous. How does it compare to other F seats on Alaska and Alaska's competitors?

Last in the article's photo lineup:

I guess these will be fondly remembered in the future?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:56 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by BOB W
Alaska gives "snails pace" a whole new meaning.
You're surprised? The N concourse BR took how long to open? They're still not done putting PC in the 900ERs at least 18 months after it was announced.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 11:06 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by tusphotog
You're surprised? .
I am NEVER surprised at how slow anything gets done at AS
Old Sep 14, 2017, 6:22 am

I am NEVER surprised at how slow anything gets done at AS
The production lead time for seats is about 24 months, longer when certification is required (likely for any new seat program at an airline). I suppose AS could have avoided announcing the new seats in advance, ordered them, waited the few years it would take to take delivery of all the retrofited seats and then suddenly told everyone that it'd be done in a few weeks/months.

In aviation, there are not many schedules you can pay throw money at to accelerate.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
[QUOTE=rustykettel;28813490]Yes, can be seen in the second photo in the article

That's disappointing. The seat "out of the box" like in the Recaro brochure with the actual leg rest looks nice. The fold down footrest not so much. Also concerns me that somebody constantly moving there feet or putting pressure on these will cause movement of seat in front??

What do they do for bulkhead seats? Mount them on the bulkhead??
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by SF1K
What do they do for bulkhead seats? Mount them on the bulkhead??
I believe JAL handles it by not putting a foot rest in for bulkhead PE, at least on the 77W. I haven't sat in that row so far. The compensation is extra legroom.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AA, BA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG, Hertz 5*
Color me unimpressed as well.

Also read this:
Woerner, the Alaska vice president, said lots of pocket space was a commonly requested feature from customers, and the new seat delivers with multiple pouches on the side of and in front of the seat.
Really - a common requested feature? And "on the side of"?
SMH

Like the idea of the cup holders, but they are going be crumb collectors from cinnamon cookies and who knows what else. Look for those to not be cleaned well.

On the plus side, the power port arrangement is much improved over the current seat.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 2:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by pdxasflyer
Color me unimpressed as well.

Also read this:

Really - a common requested feature? And "on the side of"?
SMH

Like the idea of the cup holders, but they are going be crumb collectors from cinnamon cookies and who knows what else. Look for those to not be cleaned well.

On the plus side, the power port arrangement is much improved over the current seat.
Agree, if the cupholders are deeper than the tray indentations now, not only will they collect crumbs but also other stuff will fall into them - and on a plane, not all the cups are the same size - coffee mugs, wine glasses, cocktails - what cup holders will fit all those?
Old Sep 14, 2017, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
and on a plane, not all the cups are the same size - coffee mugs, wine glasses, cocktails - what cup holders will fit all those?
That's a slow ball right over the plate... just standardize on a single drink container! Save on catering costs at the same time too.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: AS MVPG, UA, HA, DL
"When theyre installed on Alaskas aircraft starting in late 2018".....with a complete retro-fit a few years later

Alaska gives "snails pace" a whole new meaning.

I do commercial aircraft reconfiguration for a living.

It is not unusual for it to be at least a year between contract award and the start of the mod.

Depending on the size of the fleet, it can easily be a year or two to mod all the aircraft involved.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Agree that side pockets are usually filthy and repulsive. Wish they would install legrests.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 4:59 pm

The location of USB and power port is an imporvment
Old Sep 16, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Wonder if we'll see these on the VX fleet first?
Old Sep 16, 2017, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Yes, can be seen in the second photo in the article
Wonder why AS doesn't want to include the legrest that is shown in the brochure version in the seat back? Added weight?

Also, the article doesn't say if the seat recline will be any greater than it is presently. Overall, I'm trying to figure what aspect of these seats is an improvement, apart having more seatback storage and better location of the usb/power ports.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Airlines don't pull planes out of flying status just to change the seats, they will add it to another scheduled maintenance operation. So it will take time to get it done. Went through a configuration change on UA when I flew them and it took forever too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.