Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are Alaska CSRs Randomly Assigned?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2017, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Are Alaska CSRs Randomly Assigned?

I now have the very strong impression that the customer service line reserved for MVP Gold/75K flyers is as likely to get CSR rookies or trainees as any other phone line. In the past 10 days I've heard or experienced MULTIPLE errors that suggest a "training opportunity" (to put it mildly). I am Gold 75K - so when booking me on a new flight because my flight is canceled please don't attempt to charge me extra for an exit row aisle seat. And please figure out how to look up which terminal my SFO flight is leaving from. And other issues too. Seems like "elite" flyers have more frequent and complex issues given their volume of travel - why put rookies there? BTW, I've seen the same thing in the MVP line at the SFO check-in counter - obvious goofs in checking golf equipment. Why Alaska why?
Old Aug 15, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Check-in desks are one thing, but AFAIK the elite phone numbers don't send you to a dedicated subset of agents; they just place you at the front of the queue for all the phone reps.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan, Marriott Bonvoy, NEXUS
I'd always assumed it went to the same pool of agents but with a jump to the front of the line.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 3:13 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Yup, they don't have a special department that handles calls from MVPG/75Ks. I wish they did as some agents I've dealt with in the past were clueless about certain basic things. This could be a bad thing as well since wait times can be long if there are a lot of elites calling at the same time but not many CSRs taking these phone calls.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Very interesting. Alaska says under elite benefits: "Dedicated phone lines for reservations" - which I now understand has nothing to do with who answers.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by bofc
Very interesting. Alaska says under elite benefits: "Dedicated phone lines for reservations" - which I now understand has nothing to do with who answers.
That is incorrect. When I was on the Gold Advisory Board, we took a tour of the 75K reservations center, and here is a part of the center.

Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: AS MVPG
FYI, my wife called the dedicated phone lines but didn't enter her MP#. I believe she was put on hold in the regular reservation queue. I told her to hang up and call back after getting her MP# and she was immediately connected to a representative.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: AS MVP
... And please figure out how to look up which terminal my SFO flight is leaving from...
For simple questions like this its way way easier to reach out via twitter DM. Alaska is by far the best in this space. Why waste your time and that of the phone agent for simple questions?
Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by QXflyer
For simple questions like this its way way easier to reach out via twitter DM. Alaska is by far the best in this space. Why waste your time and that of the phone agent for simple questions?
or check flight status on the app or the website perhaps? But, I understand if you are on the phone with an agent then they should be able to answer such an easy question.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 1:35 am

Actually, it does. While the dedicated number for MVP/Gold/G75 members does send those calls to the front of the queue, agents have to receive special additional training regarding elite policies and procedures before receiving elite member calls via that line. This won't occur until after they've passed new-hire probation at the earliest - 1040 phone hours, about 6 months of full-time work - and even then, that training is held intermittently, so they may wait several weeks or months more before it occurs.

Only after they are "MVP qualified" will the "switch get flipped" to allow MVP calls to come their way.

I hope this helps!
AKCuisine likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 6:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Snowdevil
Actually, it does. While the dedicated number for MVP/Gold/G75 members does send those calls to the front of the queue, agents have to receive special additional training regarding elite policies and procedures before receiving elite member calls via that line. This won't occur until after they've passed new-hire probation at the earliest - 1040 phone hours, about 6 months of full-time work - and even then, that training is held intermittently, so they may wait several weeks or months more before it occurs.

Only after they are "MVP qualified" will the "switch get flipped" to allow MVP calls to come their way.

I hope this helps!
Awesome insight ^

This is what makes FT and the AS forum so special :-:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.