Advice for Upcoming Flight for Eclipse

Old Aug 10, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AS
Don't go too far east of SLE or you might run into smoke from wildfires ...
http://oregonsmoke.blogspot.com/2017...r-fire_10.html
http://www.statesmanjournal.com/stor...ark/546663001/
Old Aug 10, 2017, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Yes, but what choice is there? Wait until later and it might even be worse?
Well, one choice is to figure out the northernmost part of the eclipse path which still has a decent totality duration. That might be a bit further north than where most people are, since most people are not looking at precise maps of the eclipse path, just hearing that it will be visible in Salem and heading to the general Salem area, anywhere in the general Salem area.

Salem, in fact, is further south than the midpoint of the totality path! So in a sense going to Salem (from Portland) is "overshooting"!

Using this interactive map:
you can see that you only have to go halfway from Portland to Salem to get a 45s or 55s or 1m05s totality. That's shorter totality than closer to Salem, but if it makes it more likely that you'll catch your flight back, might a few seconds less of totality be worth being dozens of miles closer to the airport?
Old Aug 10, 2017, 3:25 pm
Suspended

So much fuss for a shadow.

I actually will be flying that day, in the southwestern US. For that part of the country there will only be a partial eclipse.

But I will sit in an aisle, the way I always do.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
I know this might stray OT, but in case anyone is planning on watching from Mt. Jefferson in eastern Oregon, the Mt. Jefferson wilderness area is closed due to fires. There are ways in if you know the area and want to hike (or fly) but officially it's "closed."

Originally Posted by Idaho Territory
Change your destination to eastward. Fly into SLC and head to Jackson, craters of the moon. Or fly into Sun Valley. Realistcly there will still be a lot of forest fire smoke that will block optimal viewing.
The problem with Wyoming is there's less roads into and out of the path. Even with the smoke this week, it would have been great weather to see it. The smoke in the Valley wasn't nearly as bad as Portland or Seattle this week.

I'll be in Portland on Friday and out early Tuesday. Keeping a keen eye on the forecast in case I need to make arrangements and get someplace sunny.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Well, one choice is to figure out the northernmost part of the eclipse path which still has a decent totality duration. That might be a bit further north than where most people are, since most people are not looking at precise maps of the eclipse path, just hearing that it will be visible in Salem and heading to the general Salem area, anywhere in the general Salem area.

Salem, in fact, is further south than the midpoint of the totality path! So in a sense going to Salem (from Portland) is "overshooting"!

Using this interactive map:

you can see that you only have to go halfway from Portland to Salem to get a 45s or 55s or 1m05s totality. That's shorter totality than closer to Salem, but if it makes it more likely that you'll catch your flight back, might a few seconds less of totality be worth being dozens of miles closer to the airport?
Funny, I considered this if things go really bad (like if my rental car broke down and I couldn't get a replacement - or if the traffic isn't moving).

I'm staying in Tigard, so I thought I could hop over to the Woodburn outlet mall and watch the eclipse from the parking lot before I do some shopping!
Old Aug 10, 2017, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ddavault
I'm in Salem, ground zero. Places are gearing up around here for the madness. I know a lot of businesses will be closed and the hospital will be in disaster mode. They are adding triage tents and requiring some staff to sleep at the hospital. The real worry is with all the traffic emergency responders may not be able to get to where they need to go.

I did see that Hertz was in damage control mode on the rate increases and cancellations and that they were trying to get additional cars into the area. And Uber, not Lyft, just started service in Salem, so that could be an option too.

In Salem Enterprise has 2 good sized offices and Budget has one a the airport, which has no scheduled service, but if you take the Hut Shuttle from PDX this is where it lets you off.

I'll be spending the morning at Trinity Vineyards, which I can reach from my house using back roads. A lot of the vineyards around the area are doing special events.

The state attorney general just fined a bunch of hotels for unfair business practices for raising rates and canceling reservations. If this happens to you I would file a complaint.

https://justice.oregon.gov/consumerc...mplaintForm/en

http://www.opb.org/news/series/solar...rease-refunds/
Good info - thanks!

I actually have several back-up plans - but all require an operational rental car, so I can get there from where I'm staying in Tigard:

1. Solarfest in Madras (I bought tickets and overnight parking)
2. Total Eclipse of the Garden, at Oregon Gardens in Silverton (have tickets)
3. Free eclipse event at the Polk County Courthouse, in Dallas, OR
4. Viewing from the Woodburn Outlet Mall parking lot

Of course, who needs a back-up plan if the whole state is cloudy or smoky? I'm not sure what I'll do if this is the case.

I do have experience with this -- I went to Cornwall, England in '99 for the total eclipse there. It rained. But I did get to experience the darkness and the birds nesting - quite an eerie experience, so it's worth being in the area of totality, regardless!
Old Aug 10, 2017, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I'm flying in Sunday AM and hope to be in my Hertzmobile by 1030a (if they haven't given it away). I hope to get to my Roachmotel in SLE before they give my room to someone else (I even comped status into the Roachmotel program so I'd be less likely to get walked). I then am leaving PDX Monday after 6pm, and plan to leave SLE as soon as the sun is coming back out.
This post cracked me up! I'm checking into my hotel in Tigard by 3pm on Saturday, so I hope I miss some of the rush, and they will still have a room for me!

I suppose I can take Uber everywhere if there is an issue with my rental car. But I don't know much about taking Uber on really busy event days - do the prices go sky high?
Old Aug 10, 2017, 4:42 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by pokee
Good info - thanks!

I actually have several back-up plans - but all require an operational rental car, so I can get there from where I'm staying in Tigard:

2. Total Eclipse of the Garden, at Oregon Gardens in Silverton (have tickets)
3. Free eclipse event at the Polk County Courthouse, in Dallas, OR
4. Viewing from the Woodburn Outlet Mall parking lot
You'd be far from the only person at the outlet mall, and last I checked that parking lot was kind of awful even on a normal weekday. You may have much smaller crowds heading southwest from Tigard--I believe Newberg is along the very edge of the path of totality--although 99W will likely be swamped by people trying to bypass I-5 and people heading for the coast. But if 99 is as much of a parking lot as people seem to think it'll be--and as a southwest Portlander who does most of his grocery shopping in the Tigard triangle, I can attest that it's already bad during a normal rush hour--Google says you can walk from the Washington Square DoubleTree to Newberg in about five hours. Bring lots of water.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Ahem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roberts_Field

Still space on the 8/21 SEA-RDM flight that gets you in an hour before the eclipse (AS 2517). It's pretty close to the south end of the zone of totality, though.

(My plans are to drive into Central Oregon overnight well east of the Cascades from Seattle, and to proceed south to a party in northern Nevada with a few of my friends. I reserved the car to do that a LONG time ago.)

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Aug 10, 2017 at 4:54 pm
Old Aug 10, 2017, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jinglish
You'd be far from the only person at the outlet mall, and last I checked that parking lot was kind of awful even on a normal weekday. You may have much smaller crowds heading southwest from Tigard--I believe Newberg is along the very edge of the path of totality--although 99W will likely be swamped by people trying to bypass I-5 and people heading for the coast. But if 99 is as much of a parking lot as people seem to think it'll be--and as a southwest Portlander who does most of his grocery shopping in the Tigard triangle, I can attest that it's already bad during a normal rush hour--Google says you can walk from the Washington Square DoubleTree to Newberg in about five hours. Bring lots of water.
Haha - walking is always the last resort!

Newberg is actually outside the path of totality. I think McMinnville looks to be the closest fair-sized town on that highway (if you don't count Lafayette and St Joseph) and they do have a viewing event at the Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum. Costs $5 and still has tickets. Maybe that's a better additional back-up than the outlet mall?
Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Ahem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roberts_Field

Still space on the 8/21 SEA-RDM flight that gets you in an hour before the eclipse (AS 2517). It's pretty close to the south end of the zone of totality, though.

(My plans are to drive into Central Oregon overnight well east of the Cascades from Seattle, and to proceed south to a party in northern Nevada with a few of my friends. I reserved the car to do that a LONG time ago.)
Hopefully your car rental is not with Hertz...as they have been cancelling overbooked reservations. Not sure what their criteria for selecting who they cancel -- seems like people who reserved months ago are getting the boot!
Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by Chugach
Another option might be Amtrak....
I've read on another thread that Amtrak on that route is booked solid. I'm not discouraging anyone from checking, but don't get your hopes up.

(Hotels booked up nearly a year ago. By early September 2016, many hotels in the path of totality were sold out for eclipse dates.)
Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Hopefully your car rental is not with Hertz...as they have been cancelling overbooked reservations. Not sure what their criteria for selecting who they cancel -- seems like people who reserved months ago are getting the boot!
My car rental is not with Hertz (Alamo as a SEA to RNO one-way spanning two days), and it's out of SEA, not PDX. Alamo lets you pre-reserve cars to where you can print the paperwork and then hop in your car class and drive off.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Good info - thanks!

Leave early. Hwy 26 through the mountains will probably be stuffed with cars, RVs, campers, ... Large parts are 2-lane highway.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Leave early. Hwy 26 through the mountains will probably be stuffed with cars, RVs, campers, ... Large parts are 2-lane highway.
Yeah, if I go to Madras, I'd be going the night before. My Solarfest parking starts at 10pm. This is assuming I have a car to drive there with...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.