Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

VX Preferred Seats and Main Cabin Select (MCS) Upgrades Now Available for AS Elites

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dmodemd
Formal announcement from Alaska Airlines:

https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-ai...enefits-on-vx/

...details on how to get them are in the updated FAQ:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...nefit-schedule

1-877-FLY-VIRGIN now goes to Alaska reps. They need to coordinate with an AS team member who has VX systems access to do the work they need. Calling through your MVP priority call line will get you faster pick up.

Call ins are needed for AS booked flights on VX for:

- Making changes and getting change fee waived
- FC Upgrade purchases*

* FAQ says: "You can purchase available First Class upgrades in advance online", but it doesn't work yet for AS booked VX flights.

Online at VirginAmerica.com you can:

- Add yourself to MCS upgrade list (link should show in Manage function)
[WARNING: There is a report of this not actually working... recommend tweet to VX instead]
- Select preferred seating before clearing MCS
- Select MCS seat after clearing at your window (can also do with VX app)

Reports are that Twitter DMs to Virgin America are the fastest way to get assistance.
You may get referred to the VX phone line (which leads to Alaska Air) if your reservation has additional complications that may not be apparent to you.

Companions: If you have any companions on your reservation (regardless of status), you will need to call in your upgrade request when your clearance window opens.
Print Wikipost

VX Preferred Seats and Main Cabin Select (MCS) Upgrades Now Available for AS Elites

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2017, 10:40 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by tom911
Well, I went ahead and tried this for my upcoming flight on VX, I called and got a representative in Phoenix and when I brought it up, she said she would have to talk to her VX liaison to see if they could do that for me, after being put on hold they were able to put me in a preferred seat (first exit row). So, either not everyone got the memo that it is manually possible, or they still have to technically call VX to do this, i'll wait for my return to see if the online capability works.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 10:44 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by safari ari
i'll wait for my return to see if the online capability works.
Hopefully it will. I plan to buy some VX flights for the fall and will be nice to be somewhere ahead of row 20 when flying transcons to JFK/EWR, let alone anywhere else (I see some new east coast routes coming up later in the year).
Old Aug 23, 2017, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Baze
Which site will you be able to do the seat selection? VX or AS or both? I have AS flights (operated by VX) this Friday SFO-SAN-SFO and next Mon down/Tues back SFO-SAN-SFO. Anybody know? I read the link posted and it does not say.
Unless the VX site gets programmed to recognize AS elite status, I don't see how it will allow you to log in and get premium seats for free. My VX trip in October only has a VX PNR so not sure if that will work for me to give that to an AS agent. There seem to be a lot of loose ends to get sorted out here but I'm glad they seem to be moving forward, slowly but surely
Old Aug 23, 2017, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hopefully it will. I plan to buy some VX flights for the fall and will be nice to be somewhere ahead of row 20 when flying transcons to JFK/EWR, let alone anywhere else (I see some new east coast routes coming up later in the year).
Other than being able to get off the plane earlier, since there is no extra legroom or free snacks in "preferred" seats, what exactly is the advantage? Aren't you more likely to have an empty middle seat in the back since the preferred seats are open to everyone at T-24 and I would think a person having to choose a middle seat would be more likely to choose one toward the front, correct?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, I went ahead and tried this for my upcoming flight on VX, I called and got a representative in Phoenix and when I brought it up, she said she would have to talk to her VX liaison to see if they could do that for me, after being put on hold they were able to put me in a preferred seat (first exit row). So, either not everyone got the memo that it is manually possible, or they still have to technically call VX to do this, i'll wait for my return to see if the online capability works.
I don't understand why AS agents have to be the middle man....couldn't VX agents do this with a direct call to them since it's their flight?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:14 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I interpret this to just mean you can select a preferred seat without paying. Looking at the functionality in VX web site today, all this means is that it will be able to recognize your AS status level and just charge you $0. That's all that needs to change.

What I don't expect to change is the blackout you see on MCS seats and even the inability to pay to upgrade.... but maybe that will improve that?

It is a big step forward if the VX web site can interpret Alaska status levels.

As for MCS complimentary upgrades it seems the call in at T-24 is going to be the practice for quite awhile. I would hope some day it will put us in an ordered waitlist and process automatically. From what I read on the VX forum, it does do this for VX status passengers but you can call in at T-24 and bypass the list and beat the auto upgrade (that may give you a seat position you don't want anyway - like middle).

(and as the blog mentions, I have been able to call in requests for preferred seats for a few weeks now, but it can take a significant amount of time for it to be done - web site seat selection would be very welcome!)

Last edited by dmodemd; Aug 23, 2017 at 8:51 am
Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:09 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Other than being able to get off the plane earlier, since there is no extra legroom or free snacks in "preferred" seats, what exactly is the advantage? Aren't you more likely to have an empty middle seat in the back since the preferred seats are open to everyone at T-24 and I would think a person having to choose a middle seat would be more likely to choose one toward the front, correct?
In all my flights this year to JFK, EWR and FLL, can't recall ever having an open middle seat in the back. I'm hoping it works the other way around and it will.be more likely I have an open middle seat a few rows ahead of where I have been. Getting off the plane a few minutes early can make a big difference when you're riding BART and the trains may be 15-20 minutes apart.

Tom at OAK
Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:13 am

Most leisure travelers don't know this and just check in. I always check in right at T-24 and at least get the first exit row, usually all to myself, while the back of the plane is packed three across.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 4:13 pm

I'm seeing a seating chart now for a Nov flight without all the +$15, +$20 for the preferred seats, but when I select one I get an error and told to call Virgin. Hopefully it will be operational shortly.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
I'm seeing a seating chart now for a Nov flight without all the +$15, +$20 for the preferred seats, but when I select one I get an error and told to call Virgin. Hopefully it will be operational shortly.
my AS ticketed september booking still wants to charge. My October VX ticketed wants to charge as well
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most leisure travelers don't know this and just check in. I always check in right at T-24 and at least get the first exit row, usually all to myself, while the back of the plane is packed three across.
Interesting....I'll keep that in mind.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDKing
my AS ticketed september booking still wants to charge. My October VX ticketed wants to charge as well
My VX ticket in October wants to charge and I know we can call and beg to get preferred seats, but honestly don't want to sit on the phone for an hour explaining it to an AS agent who will call and explain it to a VX agent who may or may not change the seat....who would have ever thought seat assignments would be such a complex issue...no thanks, I'll keep my seats in the back for now while they work on eventually allowing AS elites to go online and select their own preferred seats.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 10:20 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
I don't understand why AS agents have to be the middle man....couldn't VX agents do this with a direct call to them since it's their flight?

Exactly. Don't waste your time calling AS agents about VX seats! Call VX and they will do it for you. Quickly, and without hassle in my experience.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did the title of this thread change recently? AS elites have been able to "beg" for preferred seats on VX for awhile now, but as far as I know, there is no mechanism in place to offer MCS upgrades at this time so saying they are "now available" seems misleading. The VX website doesn't even recognize AS elite status which I would think needs to happen well before preferred seating and MCS upgrades are offered for free.

I'm looking forward to seating upgrades on VX, but for now it seems like we maybe have the cart before the horse...
Old Aug 23, 2017, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
Exactly. Don't waste your time calling AS agents about VX seats! Call VX and they will do it for you. Quickly, and without hassle in my experience.
I'm curious though, how does VX know you have AS status when you call them to give you preferred seats?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.