Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

VX Preferred Seats and Main Cabin Select (MCS) Upgrades Now Available for AS Elites

Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dmodemd
Formal announcement from Alaska Airlines:

https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-ai...enefits-on-vx/

...details on how to get them are in the updated FAQ:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...nefit-schedule

1-877-FLY-VIRGIN now goes to Alaska reps. They need to coordinate with an AS team member who has VX systems access to do the work they need. Calling through your MVP priority call line will get you faster pick up.

Call ins are needed for AS booked flights on VX for:

- Making changes and getting change fee waived
- FC Upgrade purchases*

* FAQ says: "You can purchase available First Class upgrades in advance online", but it doesn't work yet for AS booked VX flights.

Online at VirginAmerica.com you can:

- Add yourself to MCS upgrade list (link should show in Manage function)
[WARNING: There is a report of this not actually working... recommend tweet to VX instead]
- Select preferred seating before clearing MCS
- Select MCS seat after clearing at your window (can also do with VX app)

Reports are that Twitter DMs to Virgin America are the fastest way to get assistance.
You may get referred to the VX phone line (which leads to Alaska Air) if your reservation has additional complications that may not be apparent to you.

Companions: If you have any companions on your reservation (regardless of status), you will need to call in your upgrade request when your clearance window opens.
Print Wikipost

VX Preferred Seats and Main Cabin Select (MCS) Upgrades Now Available for AS Elites

Old Aug 16, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I will be starting to fly VX weekly in September so am starting to make bookings. My experience on the seat front so far has been frustrating. The seat maps on AlaskaAir don't match up or show true occupancy status ($ seats are just showed as occupied, no separate indicator for blocked even) and when on VirginAmerica.com, I can see pricing for preferred seating but can't change my seat there, nor have any desire to pay to move up a couple rows.

I have called into Alaska on a couple reservations and the best I have been able to negotiate is into the preferred seating zone behind exit row only which is just a move of a few rows forward. One call took 30 minutes to accomplish (presumably included a back call to VX) while the next call it was done near instantaneously (but the res systems took awhile to show the change). A complete lack of consistency in procedure here.

I presume I can't even start to beg for MCS until I get to the gate??

Since the policy has already been announced that I should get access to MCS in the "summer" I don't see why they can't put it in effect now manually at least. I am giving up the opportunity to upgrade into F by selecting VX instead of AS, so can't I at least get any slack on MCS??

With all the new VX flights scheduled to start in SEA in September, they better straighten this out soon. Mid-late Sept is too late, people are booking now.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Originally Posted by dmodemd
Since the policy has already been announced that I should get access to MCS in the "summer" I don't see why they can't put it in effect now manually at least. I am giving up the opportunity to upgrade into F by selecting VX instead of AS, so can't I at least get any slack on MCS??

With all the new VX flights scheduled to start in SEA in September, they better straighten this out soon. Mid-late Sept is too late, people are booking now.
They meant summer 2020.

Technically "Summer" doesn't end until Sept 22, 2017, Sept 23, 2018.

Agreed, this is beyond annoying as we get better seats and treatment on AA.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: AS 75k
I presume I can't even start to beg for MCS until I get to the gate??

I booked a VX flight on the AS website a few weeks ago for the beginning of September and was able to get MCS by calling into AS and asking. It took a while (15 minutes or so?) on hold but the agent was able to put me in MCS by calling a "special" AS supervisor who contacted VX to get the MCS seat. Sounded pretty kludgey, but it worked. You should give AS a call and HUCA if it doesn't work the first time or two.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 3:00 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by flymonthly
I booked a VX flight on the AS website a few weeks ago for the beginning of September and was able to get MCS by calling into AS and asking. It took a while (15 minutes or so?) on hold but the agent was able to put me in MCS by calling a "special" AS supervisor who contacted VX to get the MCS seat. Sounded pretty kludgey, but it worked. You should give AS a call and HUCA if it doesn't work the first time or two.
Since even VX Golds can't get MCS upgrades until T+24, it would be quite surprising that AS is upgrading G75s weeks before departure.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I have called AS twice and done that. First time after 30 minutes moved me up a couple rows into preferred seating. Next time, on another reservation, the agent was able to do the same immediately. No MCS either time, no closer than row 9.

Next time, I called VX directly on both reservations and they got me up to row 4 and 5.

I have a new reservation so called AS again and asked for MCS. Agent wasn't aware of MCS and couldn't even see those rows on her system. She contacted the liaison and after about 20 minutes was unable to get them to get me access, but I did get row 4. I think it is clear to not attempt MCS until T-24 and then to call VX directly.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I booked in Feb. (on VX site) for a VX flight in April. Called in to VX and they put me in row 5. No status on VX.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 11:03 pm

I would make sure that the seat is actually showing when you look up your reservation through VX. I had a similar situation with a VX ticket I purchased through AS only to find out during check in that I was really in a middle seat in the back with VX having no record of me ever having a seat in the exit row...oh and my known traveler # didn't transfer either so no precheck . I was able to somewhat rectify all this by having AS uncheck me from the flight to allow me to enter my KTT through Virgin and check in again. I was also lucky that I could show that I'm also VX Gold and they changed my seat at the gate to row 10.

I mention this because all of my reservations moving forward had the same issue, even though AS went through the song and dance with VX while I was on hold on the phone and my seat # was showing up OK on the AS site. VX site had no seat and no KKT.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:52 am

I checked all my seats and they are OK, BUT... when I look at the KTN it has ///US appended to it. When I bring up to edit, it reports that is a bad format, so I took that portion out and re-saved and it was happy.

Maybe you all might want to do the same... I let missydarlin know to see if that is a problem.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:41 am

Programs: UA1K
maybe i was lucky. i was flying VX this weekend. rolled up to the gate, scanned my boarding pass and it said "passenger already on board." somewhat surprised, was sent to the counter and they go "are you MVP Gold?" i say "yes." she then hands me a BP for F. definitely not expecting an upgrade on VX. lets just say, they have a very, very impressive F product. best meal i've had on a flight in years.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
Since even VX Golds can't get MCS upgrades until T+24, it would be quite surprising that AS is upgrading G75s weeks before departure.
I have called AS twice and done that. First time after 30 minutes moved me up a couple rows into preferred seating. Next time, on another reservation, the agent was able to do the same immediately. No MCS either time, no closer than row 9.

Next time, I called VX directly on both reservations and they got me up to row 4 and 5.

I have a new reservation so called AS again and asked for MCS. Agent wasn't aware of MCS and couldn't even see those rows on her system. She contacted the liaison and after about 20 minutes was unable to get them to get me access, but I did get row 4. I think it is clear to not attempt MCS until T-24 and then to call VX directly.
Mine might have been a one-off. I tried again today with a VX flight in late September and got shot down twice asking for MCS. They did give me 6D (bulkhead) so I guess I'll have to wait for check-in to try to get MCS.

Originally Posted by halamadrid
I would make sure that the seat is actually showing when you look up your reservation through VX. I had a similar situation with a VX ticket I purchased through AS only to find out during check in that I was really in a middle seat in the back with VX having no record of me ever having a seat in the exit row...oh and my known traveler # didn't transfer either so no precheck . I was able to somewhat rectify all this by having AS uncheck me from the flight to allow me to enter my KTT through Virgin and check in again. I was also lucky that I could show that I'm also VX Gold and they changed my seat at the gate to row 10.

I mention this because all of my reservations moving forward had the same issue, even though AS went through the song and dance with VX while I was on hold on the phone and my seat # was showing up OK on the AS site. VX site had no seat and no KKT.
Thanks for the warning, but my seat (4D) shows up on both AS and VX websites, so I'm cautiously optimistic.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:26 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Mine might have been a one-off. I tried again today with a VX flight in late September and got shot down twice asking for MCS. They did give me 6D (bulkhead) so I guess I'll have to wait for check-in to try to get MCS.
I don't believe that 6D is a bulkhead row on any VX plane.

The bulkhead row (3) is always MCS.

And yes, at D-24 I've called VX and had success getting them to move me into MCS as an MVPG.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
I don't believe that 6D is a bulkhead row on any VX plane.

The bulkhead row (3) is always MCS.

And yes, at D-24 I've called VX and had success getting them to move me into MCS as an MVPG.
Yeah, I must have been seeing things when I looked at the seat map.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 7:04 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
From a blog today:

I confirmed with Alaska Airlines that elites can now select preferred economy seats and are eligible for Main Cabin Select upgrades — for now you’ll need to call in to Alaska to be assigned these premium seats, but online selection will be live on Thursday, August 24. Meanwhile, Alaska plans to inform elites of the change next Wednesday, August 30.
https://thepointsguy.com/2017/08/ala...seat-upgrades/
Old Aug 22, 2017, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tom911
Which site will you be able to do the seat selection? VX or AS or both? I have AS flights (operated by VX) this Friday SFO-SAN-SFO and next Mon down/Tues back SFO-SAN-SFO. Anybody know? I read the link posted and it does not say.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 10:28 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Is Alaska still sending out confirmations with both the Alaska and Virgin America PNRs? If that's the case, I would think you'd go on the Virgin America site, with the Virgin PNR, and move your seats around there. We'll surely know in two days if it can be accomplished. I don't have any upcoming Virgin flights to check myself on Thursday (have 3 upcoming Alaska trips - HNL, SEA, YVR).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.