Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Question on discount code for MX on PNR with 2 passengers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Hey all,

Myself and the gf were on AS 375 last night from SFO-SEA; flight was delayed ~2.5 hours due to MX in PSP. Got vouchers in terminal and a discount code via email this morning.

Question on the discount code - as I booked these tickets and had both of us on the same PNR, does the value of the discount code ($100) cover both passengers? In other words, would single travelers on this flight have only received $50? Asking as $50 seems a bit light, and wondering if an email to AS is in order. Thanks!
Old Jul 24, 2017, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
You say you got vouchers and a discount code. Were the vouchers just for meals or what?

I don't think you're going to see 2x $100 if you got an email stating you would receive a $100 discount code. In any case, the discount code should show up in your account in 48-96 hours, so when it posts if you don't like what they gave, that would be the time to write in I would say.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Vouchers were for food and were $12 x 2, since I told the GA I had 2 on the one PNR.

Question then is, if a family of 4 was traveling under one PNR would they have just been issued one $100 discount code?

I'm honestly not trying to be greedy or an a** but $50 per passenger seems light to me, in terms of comp, and light relative to other reports I've seen here (and have received in the past as a single traveler, as well).
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Does your gf have a MP# and was it on the PNR? My wife and I were rerouted recently and while only she received an apology email, both of our accounts had miles credited directly.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Does your gf have a MP# and was it on the PNR? My wife and I were rerouted recently and while only she received an apology email, both of our accounts had miles credited directly.
Yes and yes on the MP # and it being included. Thanks for the info on your experience - did the email your wife received have a specific amount of miles mentioned? And, if so, did you each receive that amount in your accounts, or did you each receive half of the stated amount?

I'll watch both accounts for the discount code, but curious how AS handles one email but two credits...
Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Generally IME each pax gets a voucher.

But YMMV...

How was the email worded?
Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa
Generally IME each pax gets a voucher.

But YMMV...

How was the email worded?
Here's the email - doesn't say anything about being added to my MP account, and doesn't mention any other passengers on the PNR. GF didn't get any email, so I was wondering if this one, $100 code was meant to cover 2, etc etc.

-----

Dear zs58,

We're sorry your flight was disrupted on 07/23/2017. To make it up to you, we've included a Discount Code. Please reference the appropriate code below at the time of booking. To use your discount, go to alaskaair.com/planbook and enter the Discount Code into the Discount Code field on the right side of the booking form.

Your Discount Code must be ticketed within one year from the date of this email, and is valid for travel between any Alaska Airlines cities up to 330 days beyond the date of ticketing. One discount is allowed per reservation. Any Discount Code value remaining after purchase is forfeited. Discount not valid on all fares, including but not limited to Mileage Plan Award Reservations, Alaska Airlines Vacation packages, tour or contract fares, most discounted First Class fares and many privately filed fares. Complete Discount Code rules and restrictions can be found online at alaskaair.com.

zs58, Discount Code xyz123, in the amount of $100

As always, thank you for flying with us. We hope you'll give us the opportunity to exceed your expectations on another flight.

Sincerely,

Wayne Newton
Vice President
Airport Operations and Customer Service
Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

zs58, some questions.

1. Are either you or your companion MVP or higher with AS?

2. If yes to number 1. Was your and/or you companions MP # in the record?

3. Looks like your email was in the PNR, was you companions?

4. Would AS have anyway to contact your companion?

If there was only contact information in the record or MP # in the record for you then AS would have no way to send a compensation email to your companion. I would call AS customer care with your companions ticket number, each person on a PNR gets their own ticket number. Ask customer care about compensation for your companion. They may give them $100 too. Worth a try.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Baze
zs58, some questions.

1. Are either you or your companion MVP or higher with AS?

2. If yes to number 1. Was your and/or you companions MP # in the record?

3. Looks like your email was in the PNR, was you companions?

4. Would AS have anyway to contact your companion?

If there was only contact information in the record or MP # in the record for you then AS would have no way to send a compensation email to your companion. I would call AS customer care with your companions ticket number, each person on a PNR gets their own ticket number. Ask customer care about compensation for your companion. They may give them $100 too. Worth a try.
1. I'm MVPG, she is MVP.
2. Yes to both.
3. I don't recall if her email was in the PNR, but with her MP# being in there, certainly there is a way to contact her directly.
4. They should, per #3 . However, whether or not their systems are built in such a way to pull this info to contact a customer, I don't know.

May try a call to care - doesn't seem like there is a good consensus as to whether or not 1 email / code is supposed to cover everyone under 1 PNR or not.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zs58
1. I'm MVPG, she is MVP.
2. Yes to both.
3. I don't recall if her email was in the PNR, but with her MP# being in there, certainly there is a way to contact her directly.
4. They should, per #3 . However, whether or not their systems are built in such a way to pull this info to contact a customer, I don't know.

May try a call to care - doesn't seem like there is a good consensus as to whether or not 1 email / code is supposed to cover everyone under 1 PNR or not.
I don't know with AS but on UA every person got their own. I would be surprised if it is by PNR and not ticket as every passenger (maybe not a lap child) has their own ticket.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 5:57 pm

Yes and yes on the MP # and it being included. Thanks for the info on your experience - did the email your wife received have a specific amount of miles mentioned? And, if so, did you each receive that amount in your accounts, or did you each receive half of the stated amount?

I'll watch both accounts for the discount code, but curious how AS handles one email but two credits...
Yes, mileage was mentioned (3000) and that amount was deposited into both accounts:

Dear Mrsrustykettel,

We appreciate you as a customer and we're giving you miles on behalf of Portland Customer Service Representative. We've deposited 3,000 miles into Mileage Plan account XXXXXXX and XXXXXX.

As always, thank you for flying with us.

Sincerely,

<name>
Director, Customer Advocacy

Reference#: XXXXXXX
Old Aug 1, 2017, 2:12 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold75k, WN A-List, AA, FI, DY, UA, Marriott Lifetime Silver, Hilton Diamond, Amtrak
I had a somewhat similar question regarding discount codes for traveling companions on the same reservation. A number of months back, my partner and I were on a flight where Alaska switched our seats around out of premium class, and afterwards, Alaska sent two emails with two separate $25 discount codes to my email account. But, one email was addressed to my partner and the other email addressed to me. I guess I got both emails because I was the contact person for the flight. My partner is also a mileage plan member, but no emails were sent to him.

My question is... can I use my partner's discount code? He doesn't want the discount code since he hardly ever flies, and he would prefer I use it rather than to let it go to waste. And at any rate, I paid for the tickets. I looked all over Alaska's website, trying to find any specific rules regarding the use of discount codes given to family members on the same reservation, and there did not seem to be any rule against using a spouse or family member's discount code for your own future ticket. However, there is vague language about Alaska deciding whether someone is abusing the program, so I suppose they could always invoke that catch-all language for something they don't like. Does anyone have any knowledge about restrictions on giving discount codes to spouses/partners?
Old Aug 1, 2017, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by MJMLBBtoCPH
I had a somewhat similar question regarding discount codes for traveling companions on the same reservation. A number of months back, my partner and I were on a flight where Alaska switched our seats around out of premium class, and afterwards, Alaska sent two emails with two separate $25 discount codes to my email account. But, one email was addressed to my partner and the other email addressed to me. I guess I got both emails because I was the contact person for the flight. My partner is also a mileage plan member, but no emails were sent to him.

My question is... can I use my partner's discount code? He doesn't want the discount code since he hardly ever flies, and he would prefer I use it rather than to let it go to waste. And at any rate, I paid for the tickets. I looked all over Alaska's website, trying to find any specific rules regarding the use of discount codes given to family members on the same reservation, and there did not seem to be any rule against using a spouse or family member's discount code for your own future ticket. However, there is vague language about Alaska deciding whether someone is abusing the program, so I suppose they could always invoke that catch-all language for something they don't like. Does anyone have any knowledge about restrictions on giving discount codes to spouses/partners?
You can check the terms of your specific discount code here

http://www.alaskaair.com/shared/tips...section=normal

Usually there's language about being for the recepient but other than the companion fare code (where the cardholder must be either one of the travelers or the same last name as the payment credit card), I'm not sure how strictly enforced it is. As long as you're not selling/buying/trading the codes, I wouldn't worry too much about the abuse language, especially since you can show a relationship to the recipient.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Hey all,

Myself and the gf were on AS 375 last night from SFO-SEA; flight was delayed ~2.5 hours due to MX in PSP. Got vouchers in terminal and a discount code via email this morning.

Question on the discount code - as I booked these tickets and had both of us on the same PNR, does the value of the discount code ($100) cover both passengers? In other words, would single travelers on this flight have only received $50? Asking as $50 seems a bit light, and wondering if an email to AS is in order. Thanks!
Since you ask if $50 seems a bit light, how much did you pay for your tickets (one-way)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.