Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
MVP Treatment with AA problems.

deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 3:07 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Jul 21, 2017, 4:46 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
I've gotten AA compensation miles from American when I credited the flights to Alaska. I had an AA account of course, they probably just looked up my info and dropped the miles into my account. I was fine with that, even though I'd have preferred vouchers towards a future flight.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 4:55 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Yup, they can easily look up their system and see if you have an AA account. If they don't see an account, they offer vouchers instead of miles.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 5:43 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
I've gotten AA compensation miles from American when I credited the flights to Alaska.
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Yup, they can easily look up their system and see if you have an AA account.
Same here. After a day of cascading non-wx irrops, AA deposited 5K miles into my AA account. I too would have preferred a voucher.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 6:04 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
C -> F on the 77W isn't much of a jump. You get an extra course with the meal and better wine selections.

C -> F on 772 is well worth it, however!
Old Jul 21, 2017, 6:20 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
I've gotten AA compensation miles from American when I credited the flights to Alaska. I had an AA account of course, they probably just looked up my info and dropped the miles into my account. I was fine with that, even though I'd have preferred vouchers towards a future flight.
I've even gotten compensation (in the form of 20k miles) from an award ticket booked from AS miles because the AA fc seat was broken. The mileage compensation went to my AA account.

My SO managed to get 5k miles compensation on a paid AA flight credited to AS, but it took several emails back and forth before it was offered. It could be worth it to keep trying.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 6:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I've ended up with vouchers from both AA and DL for service failures in premium cabins before when crediting to AS. YMMV; perhaps ask for a partial refund of the upgrade cost due to the lack of improvement in service?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 6:40 pm

Sample size of one. When crediting to AS, I have also received vouchers and miles on AA when things weren't up to expectations. I notice no difference whether crediting to AA or AS.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 1:47 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Just to add to the conversation, it doesn't hurt to e-mail the issue again. I've had a more sympathetic agent who deposited 25,000 miles into my AA account. The first agent gave me a blow off.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by cyborg

I sent an email to AA complaining about the bad food and beverage only to be blown off by the rep as they explained that food and beverage is a convenience.
You could have received the same response as a Plat crediting to AAvantage.

The idea you would get cash or voucher compensation for a meal you didn't like is risible. (Had there been broken glass in it, or identifiable matter, that's a different story.)

Your idea of pressing the matter as false advertising shows you are ridiculous. U.S. carriers have limited patience with that.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

deleted

Old Jul 22, 2017, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

deleted

Old Jul 22, 2017, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is a recent observation of how flyers are treated when flying on partner flights while crediting miles to another program. In my case I was flying AA in business class on an international R/T with my MVP number entered into the booking and offered an upgrade to F at OLCI. The expectation was that the food and beverage would be superior (LPGS Champagne and nice meal) since the aircraft was the 77W with a great business class seat and product. Big mistake! I had the worst meal ever and the sparkling wine not even a recognized brand served warm. The wines offered did not even match the card (they were bad) and the meal, well the most dreadful meal ever on a plane.

I sent an email to AA complaining about the bad food and beverage only to be blown off by the rep as they explained that food and beverage is a convenience.

I started thinking about the situation and realized that since I was not an AA flyer they could not give miles as a compensation (we see this all the time) and would not consider any form of compensation.

So, I'm starting to think that traveling on an airline while crediting to a different FF program, one will not receive compensation for service related failures.

I could make a bunch of complaints to various organizations and government agencies revolving around failure to deliver service paid for or false advertising but I just don't want to expend the energy, time or resources. AA, you win here.

However, I would like to provide my recommendation to Alaska Flyers to think very carefully before engaging in AA purchases when looking to credit to MVP.

V/r,

-Cyborg
Do you think AA frequent fliers on the flight got different food? Being an AS frequent flier on a codeshare/partner flight has absolutely no bearing on the food served. Did you give them an AA account number? If so they may have tossed you a few miles but that's about it. And I wouldn't eve expect them to do that. As was pointed out, if something had been physically wrong with the food/drink then it would be a problem. It's a plane after all, they days of carveries with prime rib and onboard sommeliers are long gone.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 3:05 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Jul 22, 2017, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hey, Bottom line. I was offered an upgrade for over $500 for first to experience better food and wine. The business seat on the 77W is fine. The results in F were dreadful. My bad. Lesson Learned. Ok?

V/r,

-Cyborg
You really think the money was for the food and wine? I would say 99.99999999% of people who upgrade do it for the seat, legroom, comfort, etc. Food and wine is probably way down the list of reasons most people upgrade. But again, your AS status has absolutely nothing to do with the food and wine you got.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.