Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MVP Treatment with AA problems.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2017, 4:47 pm

If you had browsed the AA forums here beforehand; you would have known the food has been mostly dreadful for a while.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 5:32 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
AA customer resolution is NON EXISTENT. Its all form letters, mostly.

As Alaska flyers, we are spoiled because we are customers of an airline that actually pays attention to its elites.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 1:27 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
I received a $100 voucher one time for a flight delay in ORD. But that was 2 years ago. I probably will not get anything if the same thing happen today.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 3:04 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Jul 23, 2017, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by cyborg
When flying AA as an MVP it is not likely to receive compensation when things go wrong when you are crediting miles to Alaska.
This is actually not my experience (or the experience of other people on the thread, which you seem to have blown off); I've gotten 15,000 AA miles for an extended flight delay (nearly 24 hours) while crediting AS as an AS elite. This agrees with other reports I've seen.

Your expectations of compensation for not having an acceptable champagne and a bad meal on a longhaul J->F upgrade may need to be adjusted. My experience is compensation generally happens for things like major inconveniences, not "your champagne was bad".
Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 3:04 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Jul 24, 2017, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
So, now I believe that the relationship between AA and AS has deteriorated such that this type of compensation will not be forthcoming in the future.
Based on a sample size of one, and based on asking for compensation due to bad wine and a poor meal?

I see.

As far as comparisons to other FF programs, I have received point from VX when the IFE failed mid-flight in First. This would qualify and a minor inconvenience, but back then the airline was gracious enough to recognize the customer and compensate for the service lacking given the price paid. With AA today, I'm not seeing that.
Generally speaking, my experience is that IFE failures are more likely to get compensation than "that dinner was terrible and where was all the good wine I had last time?". Breakdowns in the hard product (seat, IFE) or major service failures like flight delays are considered more worthy of compensation than soft product (bad food, bad wine, the FA service was sub-par).

I can't stop you from drawing whatever conclusions you want to from your experience, but I wouldn't draw the same conclusions ("I would get miles or cash for that awful meal and wine if Alaska and American were closer buddies"). Airlines don't usually give compensation for those items. Griping about food in airline premium classes isn't unique to AA, either.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...cx-food-j.html

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jul 24, 2017 at 3:56 pm
Old Jul 24, 2017, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 2:44 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Jul 24, 2017, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
(1) It sounds like Aeromexico may have had some excess food that AA "especially selected" for your flight ex/EZE. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...nh-mex-t2.html Nonetheless, unless you ate what I ate, my food was worse.

(2) I would certainly expect that the champagne and wines advertised for your flight be there, and if they aren't of equal or greater quality (not necessarily price) that you are due compensation. This is separate and apart from a potentially subjective explanation of "the food is crap," or "I didn't like the food," or "it is the worst food in the history of food at FL350."

(3) I doubt the deterioration of the AA/AS relationship has anything to do with this.

(4) AA should want to make you happy, in that you were happy on the southbound, and took the sucker's bet for the northbound. Had it been close to equally as good, they would have a continuing happy customer. Now, the taste in your mouth is worse than a glass full of warm André.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 2:44 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Jul 25, 2017, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
AA customer resolution is NON EXISTENT. Its all form letters, mostly.

As Alaska flyers, we are spoiled because we are customers of an airline that actually pays attention to its elites.
This is simply not true. I had a less than stellar experience on a paid F ticket from HNL to PHX. I was given miles as compensation and, no, I only sent one single email to AA customer service. AA does react to valid service issues. If someone launches into a tirade against AA (e.g. false advertising, etc.) they are less likely to get anything.

And, by the way, AS isn't perfect either. I emailed customer service with a valid service problem and I got a pleasant thank you note back with NO compensation.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 3:48 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Basically, when I fly on AA, I am thankful to get my MCE seat and Group 4 boarding and expect nothing more from them. I already know I will be shorted on miles earned and likely be an hour+ late or cancelled. After each flight I swear I will never fly them again, yet do... only because AS isn't flying at the time I need (until Sept.).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.