Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Checked bag fee question - long layover situation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, "alum" of high status with UA but not any more

I'm a Delta guy flying Alaska for only the third time in my life tomorrow (when the destination is Barrow, there's really no other option), I have no status with Alaska, and am very unfamiliar with Alaska Airlines. Itinerary tomorrow is SEA-ANC-BRW, 6:05 AM departure from Seattle, 5:32 PM departure from Anchorage. So, it's a very long layover (9 hours) in Anchorage. And, to be clear, Anchorage was booked NOT as an intermediate city or a stopover. It is merely a connecting city, but I do plan on taking advantage of the long layover by leaving the airport and taking the opportunity to explore Anchorage a bit.

I just checked in online just now and noticed that I was offered a boarding pass for only the SEA-ANC leg, not the ANC-BRW leg. I also paid my $25 fee for a checked bag.

Was I not offered the ANC-BRW boarding pass because it is still over 24 hours away? My experience with other airlines in analogous situations is that you will be issued all boarding passes for the itinerary, even for connecting segments whose departure is still >24 hours away.

My bigger concern is that Alaska is treating my ANC layover as a stopover, and therefore will check my bag only to ANC and then impose my $25 checked bag fee again for the ANC-BRW. To be clear, I will not need, nor do I want, my checked bag during my long layover in ANC.

Any thoughts?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
I think you'll be fine with having an agent check your bag all the way through to BRW. I believe AS' limit is 12 hours or so on a connection. Maybe for piece of mind, have a printed copy of your itinerary showing it wasn't a multicity with ANC as an intended destination but I doubt you'll need it. Have fun in Anchorage!

ETA: re the boarding passes, I seem to recall that boarding passes beyond 24 hours wouldn't show up until that mark even though checked in via an earlier connecting flight but I can't definatively remember if it was AS or another airline or both.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
try checking in again after 1830PDT (1730ADT) this evening (i.e., inside T-24 hrs for the second segment) ... if you have any issues, call AS at that time
Originally Posted by rustykettel
... Maybe for piece of mind ...
but don't give them a piece of your mind
Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, "alum" of high status with UA but not any more
Thanks for the replies! Helpful and reassuring.

I'll report back if things don't work out well on this matter.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
So long as you really do have a connection and not a stopover, the AS rule is 12 hours. There is nothing to worry about, it is published on the website. Having your itinerary printed does not help or hurt as any AS agent can pull it up on his screen.

If your trip includes more than one flight on Alaska Airlines and/or one of our airline partners, we will check your bags to the final destination on your ticket as long as there are fewer than 12 hours between flights.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by jrl767
but don't give them a piece of your mind
Yes, don't give them a piece of your mind.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I just did an 11:45 connection (weather delays...long story) in Seattle, the baggage all transferred just fine without me doing anything.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 12:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Under 12 hours = no problem.

Some FTers who just were in BRW also toured the ANC bag well area of AS'. There is a special place for bags with longer waits to sit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.