Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS and AA Partnership Changes (Effective 1 January 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Link to Official AS Blog Post

Major points from this thread and from missydarlin:

• Effective Jan 1, 2018, domestic AA-marketed flights will not earn any Mileage Plan miles. AS-marketed, AA-operated codeshares will continue to earn AS miles at the AS earning rate (ie a minimum of one mile earned per mile flown). Domestic flights marketed by other partners (eg BA) and operated by AA will no longer earn AS miles. Post-Jan 1 flights booked prior to Jul 6, 2017 may be submitted for mileage credit.
  • International AA flights (including US-Canada and US-Mexico) will continue to earn AS miles. Domestic AA flights which connect to international flights will not earn miles. It will remain impossible to book international AA-operated flights through Alaska to get an AS codeshare or an AS-operated domestic feeder flight.
  • Reciprocal elite status benefits (waived checked bag fees, preferred/MCE seat assignments, priority boarding) between AA and AS go away Jan 1, 2018. Seat assignments made prior to Jan 1 for post-Jan 1 flights will remain.
  • The reciprocal lounge access arrangment between AA and AS will not change.
  • AA will remain a mileage redemption partner of AS with only relatively minor tweaks to the award chart (some increases, some decreases).

Link to share your feedback with Alaska Airlines:

https://www.alaskaair.com/feedback

Discussion in the American Airlines forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...an-2018-a.html
Print Wikipost

AS and AA Partnership Changes (Effective 1 January 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan MVP
I'm based in Seattle so I'll mostly be okay, but this really puts a dent in flexibility (especially after losing DL last year). I fly to Dallas a lot and being able to pick and choose AS vs. AA based on the times I needed was a nice benefit (not to mention when I traveled further east and could easily do that with AA).

As most others have said this seems like part of the deal when trying to compete and expand, but it's still an unfortunate growing pain.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: AS MVPG -> MVP -> now nothing, DL SM, Global Entry
Well, a sad day for me. I've been a happy AS FF for many years, but as about half my travel is BIS on Alaska and the other half to the Southeast or international, the status days have come to an end. Booking codeshare directly through AS when you need an AA flight is a non-starter for the flights I need to destinations that Alaska doesn't serve and never will (example: I just today booked an AA flight SEA-GSP later this month for $538; booking any itinerary between those cities through AS and connecting with AA would be $1750 minimum - and the exact same thing applies as far out as next April. Itineraries using Delta flights are actually considerably cheaper than those using AA when booking through AS!). Perhaps this means AS will someday serve CLT, though...otherwise their service to the South, even from the Seattle hub, is more or less useless unless you're just going to ATL, CHS, or RDU - two of which you cannot connect from at any rate.

I pay for my own tickets, always, so I'm fairly price-sensitive and so the other carriers' FF plan models don't work for me. I imagine I'll have to go back to the old days of just picking whatever airline has the best deal. Alaska will always win in a tie because I've been very happy with them, but not having the perks like MCE, early boarding, etc. on the other airlines I need to fly makes attempting to maintain status with AS unlikely unless it just happens to work out. Was planning on trying to qualify for MVP Gold again for next year, but now I'm unsure if it's worth it.

Ah, well - there are probably some interesting airlines and destinations out there that I've never really looked at, and now can try!
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I appreciate the fact that we can still include AA as a redemption partner....that's about the only time I fly AA since even back during the days of 100% mileage earning on AA, the elite status bar was always higher with partner miles compared to just earning status on AS (and now VX) metal. I can see this being a big announcement for some, but as long as the AS mileage program remains mileage-based and not revenue-based, I'm a happy camper.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by lalala
Once I'm ticketed, I can change my AS number to my AA PLT number correct? I've done this in the past with no issues, how could this change after Jan. 1?
Sorry, read it backwards. Yes, you're correct. I fixed my post.

Last edited by ashill; Jul 6, 2017 at 11:49 am
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by formeraa
From a business perspective, this may be AS's attempt to "thin the ranks" of the elites in the Mileage Plan program. The large carriers have all gone to dollar-based status. Perhaps this is AS's way of not having too many "foreign" elite members who don't really fly AS much if at all.
another way to thin the ranks is to not match everyone and their mom to MVPG 75K over the past 12-18 months
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:07 am

Programs: BonVoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Delta Plat, BA Bronze
From a business perspective, this may be AS's attempt to "thin the ranks" of the elites in the Mileage Plan program. The large carriers have all gone to dollar-based status. Perhaps this is AS's way of not having too many "foreign" elite members who don't really fly AS much if at all.

From a government perspective, I wonder exactly what AS agreed to when it acquired VX. There may have been a promise/requirement to end the AA FF link on domestic flights.
I think this may be a large driver of today's announcement. When the DOJ approved the AS/VX merger, they were (paraphrasing AirwaysMag's journalists) 'looking to extract a pound of flesh'. Here, crankyflier has a good analysis of the revenue impacts associated with AS removing their code from flights to AA hub's: http://crankyflier.com/2016/12/08/alaska-and-virgin-america-are-cleared-to-merge-with-minor-but-unhelpful-conditions/

I'm not 100% keen on this either; however, this may have been an important step towards reversing DOJ-imposed conditions that made the relationship unsustainable from a revenue/competition perspective.

Time will tell if this was Alaska's folly or a prudent networking move. I've fallen out of love with Alaska over the years - deciding to go with DL out of SEA, so I'm less affected, but I do empathize with others.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by ashill
This makes Mileage Plan no longer viable as a primary program for those of us based outside the west coast.
Yup. Moved from the Seattle area to Chicago last year, and from here AS has very low utility. I guess this is the end of my happy MP tenure. I"ll be an AA/WN/B6/AS/BA price-driven flyer (in about that order). Maybe I'll put my 2018+ AA flights on the BA Executive Club account and earn Avios.

From a business perspective, this may be AS's attempt to "thin the ranks" of the elites in the Mileage Plan program.
Probably. But also, it further narrows the relevance of the Alaska Airlines proposition outside the SEA-PDX-SFO metroplex. The FF program used to go places in the US where Alaska aircraft didn't. Much less true after this.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: MVP Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
What a disappointment. With all of the changes over the years, this is the first move that has me legitimately considering whether or not to continue flying with Alaska.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
I'm not surprised by this move. But I'm not happy, either.

Despite AS' spin in the announcement, VX doesn't go a lot of places AA goes. For example, I have to make regular business trips Seattle-Toronto, and the only option I've had to date to get decent seats is to fly AA legs so I can get MCE seating.

As a matter of fact, as an MVP Gold, I've been able to choose AA Main Cabin Extra seats in advance, at no charge, even when I've been unable to choose Premium Class seating at no charge in advance on AS flights.

Losing AA as a domestic mileage earning partner (except for AS code shares) is unfortunate. Losing elite benefits on AA is a huge drawback, for me.

It also makes me wonder how much longer, despite today's announcement, that mileage redemption on AA will continue after 2018.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: UA1K
when the AA redemption was reduced last year, i stopped flying AA.

AS/VX has me covered from SNA/LAX to where i need to go.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
This is bad news, but I hope AS builds itself a east coast or midwest hub to become a truly national carrier. There are so many cities east of the Rockies that need to be served where AS/VX currently do not fly, or do not fly with good schedules.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
This is bad news, but I hope AS builds itself a east coast or midwest hub to become a truly national carrier. There are so many cities east of the Rockies that need to be served where AS/VX currently do not fly, or do not fly with good schedules.
Given that they're building a lounge at JFK for just a handful of flights (as of now), that seems like a good place to start
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:59 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
This is a huge negative. And what isn't clear (perhaps someone can chime in) - for international travel, at least from the West Coast, I'm probably connecting in DFW, MIA or JFK (or other points substantially East, comprising 25 to 40% of my travel mileage). Do I no longer earn anything on the domestic portion of the international ticket?
This is a huge question that we need the answer to. Thanks for asking Missy

Last edited by ryandc99; Jul 6, 2017 at 12:09 pm
Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott T
Right now CX C/F redemptions are the only thing still keeping me with AS. How long til they exist at current levels?
Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold75k, WN A-List, AA, FI, DY, UA, Marriott Lifetime Silver, Hilton Diamond, Amtrak
Baggage perks for AS elites on AA operated codeshares?

What happens to Alaska elites checked bag privileges when you embark on an Alaska flight (say in PDX) to Dallas, and then connect through Dallas to (say Lubbock) on an AS codeshare flight on AA? The language from the emails I got from American and Alaska appear to suggest that Alaska elites cannot check a bag on an “operated” flight by American, and codeshare flights are “operated” by American. So, in the above instance, would Alaska collect money from me when I check in at PDX for the Dallas to Lubbock segment on American? That seems a bit odd to me. Does the Barclays AA Aviator card I have cover me for the DFW to LBB segment, since technically I'd be on an AS codeshare? Having elite status on both airlines, I never really worried about that scenario in the past. I probably only check bags about 30 percent of the time I fly, but it's a nice perk sometimes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.